Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Yeah, I got the Alderaan ending with him fighting the Killiks. He struggles to refer to himself as "I" instead of "We" when he acts against the hivemind. I'm pretty torn on Vector, his morality is just too shifted for me to ever trust him, but he seems loyal to a fault. He's such an odd character. Don't get me wrong: It's not because I hate the character itself, it's probably because the character is so darn well designed/written. Probably one of the most interesting characters in any modern RPG I've played.
Somehow SWTOR ended up having some of the best writing of any modern Bioware game.

Probably because BioWare Austin uses the brand only and has almost nothing in common with good old Canadian BW.

Codex Year of the Donut
They need to hire someone new to manage their monetization. F2P accounts have too many limits, rather than being a lure to sub they should focus on making F2P accounts want to acquire items that are able to be sold on the GTN but purchased with cartel credits. The funny part is that they already have the basis of this system in place: legacy unlocks, race unlocks, etc.,They just need some small tweaks.
Whoever is in charge now doesn't understand how F2P monetization works or how whales work. e.g., Warframe and Path of Exile do it extremely well, a small minority of people end up spending most of the money but the non-paying customers are what stimulate the whales to buy stuff. I've spent over $500 on Warframe because I enjoyed it a lot, yet I have near zero motivation to spend money on cartel credits in SWTOR. Warframe is entirely F2P, there is zero content locked behind a paywall whatsoever, and basically anything people who buy MTX acquire can be acquired through simply playing the game, yet the game is a massive money earner. Same with Path of Exile too AFAIK.

All of this reeks of EA influence tbh, they try to put everything behind a paywall and end up discouraging people from spending money while doing so.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Oh yes, this goes without saying. The best thing they could do is allow people to put up actual subscription tokens for credits on the GTN. And of course remove the credit limit from F2Ps. Alas, EAs hand is strong in this one.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
They need to hire someone new to manage their monetization. F2P accounts have too many limits, rather than being a lure to sub they should focus on making F2P accounts want to acquire items that are able to be sold on the GTN but purchased with cartel credits. The funny part is that they already have the basis of this system in place: legacy unlocks, race unlocks, etc.,They just need some small tweaks.

Whoever is in charge now doesn't understand how F2P monetization works or how whales work. e.g., Warframe and Path of Exile do it extremely well, a small minority of people end up spending most of the money but the non-paying customers are what stimulate the whales to buy stuff. I've spent over $500 on Warframe because I enjoyed it a lot, yet I have near zero motivation to spend money on cartel credits in SWTOR. Warframe is entirely F2P, there is zero content locked behind a paywall whatsoever, and basically anything people who buy MTX acquire can be acquired through simply playing the game, yet the game is a massive money earner. Same with Path of Exile too AFAIK.

All of this reeks of EA influence tbh, they try to put everything behind a paywall and end up discouraging people from spending money while doing so.

I think it really is EA for the most part, but thing is TOR's big F2P draw is "play through class stories without spending a dime" and you can do precisely that, at least you could before expansions started coming out. Problem is it give you this extremely bare-bone experience EA facilitates to get you to buy "unlocks" from the store as it keeps putting obstacles in your way. We would need metrics regarding whether F2P players are playing TOR just for Bioware stories or to actually experience the game as another MMORPG.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So you can kill some republi-cucks without spending a dime (don't mind paying for games, payed hundred of shekels for stuff in LOTRO and WoT to support those games and their devs but I am not going to sponsor the EA scum)? From what I heard the Imperial agent and Sith Warrior stories are that gutt and 25 giga of place on disc is not that big propblem in current year. Is the bounty hunter regular schmuck or Mandolarian?

Last edited:
Codex Year of the Donut
So you can kill some republi-cucks without spending a dime (don't mind paying for games, payed hundred of shekels for stuff in LOTRO and WoT to support those games and their devs but I am not going to sponsor the EA scum)?
As F2P you get access to all 8 career stories, all planet stories(there's a lot of planets), and as of recently the first two major expansions. It's actually a lot of content for free.
FYI, If you subscribe for one month you get all the available expansions forever and your account gets upgraded to 'preferred' removing a bunch of the F2P restrictions when your subscription runs out.

Last edited:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
So you can kill some republi-cucks without spending a dime (don't mind paying for games, payed hundred of shekels for stuff in LOTRO and WoT to support those games and their devs but I am not going to sponsor the EA scum)? From what I heard the Imperial agent and Sit Warrior stories are that good and 25 giga of place on disc is not that big propblem in current year. Is the bounty hunter regular schmuck or Mandolarian?

The BH becomes a Mando in the course of his storyline.

I also highly recommend the Inquisitor.

Codex Year of the Donut

I think it really is EA for the most part, but thing is TOR's big F2P draw is "play through class stories without spending a dime" and you can do precisely that, at least you could before expansions started coming out. Problem is it give you this extremely bare-bone experience EA facilitates to get you to buy "unlocks" from the store as it keeps putting obstacles in your way. We would need metrics regarding whether F2P players are playing TOR just for Bioware stories or to actually experience the game as another MMORPG.
Removing the credit cap, adding credit sinks, and allowing F2P players to buy expansion unlocks on the GTN would solve this.

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
Do all classes get access to melee?

Not really. Only the Sith Juggernaut, Sith Marauder, Sith Assassin, Imperial Operative and Powertech Bounty Hunter have feasible melee skills. Sith Sorcerers get a mostly cosmetic lightsaber attack, Imperial Snipers might get a shiv but I cannot truly recall, while Mercenary Bounty Hunters don't get a thing.

Commissar Draco

Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
Do all classes get access to melee?

Not really. Only the Sith Juggernaut, Sith Marauder, Sith Assassin, Imperial Operative and Powertech Bounty Hunter have feasible melee skills. Sith Sorcerers get a mostly cosmetic lightsaber attack, Imperial Snipers might get a shiv but I cannot truly recall, while Mercenary Bounty Hunters don't get a thing.

Can confirm My Sniper got knife but its better just snipe those fags from cover, any comrade wishing to join can do so btw, will play as Bounty hunter first and leave the best (Imperial operative and Sith Warrior as last).

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Can FTP players team up? More specifically, would this make a good coop game? Always looking for coop opportunities with wife.

Yes. It's actually an ideal co-op game because of the dialog system where players get to choose their responses and the highest roll wins.

Codex Year of the Donut
Can FTP players team up? More specifically, would this make a good coop game? Always looking for coop opportunities with wife.

Yes. It's actually an ideal co-op game because of the dialog system where players get to choose their responses and the highest roll wins.
Not sure why people are marking this funny, what he describes is true. Every party member engages in the dialogue together.

Codex Year of the Donut
The followup mail you get after completing missions about the choices you made during them are a nice touch.
eOL27Oe.png
Some of them even have typos you'd expect(e.g., mail from someone with poor education misspells difficult words,) they put a lot of thought into these. It's nice.

Codex Year of the Donut
why is everyone playing star wars again
Because it's good. As far as 'modern' Bioware games go, I'd put this next to the first Mass Effect except it has way, way more content.
I never played it at launch so I have no idea what it was like. I was always under the impression it was just a poor WoW clone so I never played it. It's more like kotor crossed with WoW combat.

Codex Year of the Donut
Most of you guys probably already know, but you can 'cancel' any dialogue scene by hitting escape and it sends you back to before the dialogue. Helpful if you accidentally missed something, a scene went by too fast, or you hit the wrong response(AKA dialogue wheels are stupid.)

Commissar Draco

Patron
Almost completed the first planet game is very easy even when you do heroic missions on solo but this way you can do it solo so won't complain about it:

7N1A4Qu.jpg

Why to play it? Its fun game done by Bioware which was not SJW yet full of boob plate and half naked sex slaves and dancer bitches the story is fun and offers some nice C&C, would behead this free doom fighter and bring back the white whore her severed husbandu head again inshallah brothers.

:hero:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom