Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
So basically they're going to release an unfinished mess in a couple weeks and then fix it with 5 paid dlcs? Kill me now, I was actually looking forward to this one.
Welcome to game development in 2019.

Mustawd

I haven't checked in on this game in awhile, but it's safe to say most of my excitement is now gone after doing a little reading. So basically they're going to release an unfinished mess in a couple weeks and then fix it with 5 paid dlcs? Kill me now, I was actually looking forward to this one.

Just wait a year+

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
It's curious, because I haven't found anywhere an official statement about when - supposedly - the game leaved the "pre-alpha" stage and, looking at all the missing/incomplete features/mechanics and upcoming "dlc" content, it looks as it never did. In a year we'll have a beta or a RC, at best.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Also it seems that a lot got cut, most noticably the Behemoths. They'll probably add it with DLC's.

Than there was the drop of Linux support, they teamed up with Microsoft, the GUI got consolized, than it went epic exclusive and the general buthurt started.

They really cut content just to sell it as DLC? Or is just a rumour? Link? That would be the first actually bad thing I've heard about the game.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
Also it seems that a lot got cut, most noticably the Behemoths. They'll probably add it with DLC's.

Than there was the drop of Linux support, they teamed up with Microsoft, the GUI got consolized, than it went epic exclusive and the general buthurt started.

They really cut content just to sell it as DLC? Or is just a rumour? Link? That would be the first actually bad thing I've heard about the game.
Behemots got dropped from initial release and they said those will be patched in later.
I haven't spotted any content on DLC's that were promised to be in core game.

Thal

Prophet
So, those who followed development, can you make a list of what's different from Xcom 2?
I haven't played nuXcoms but the biggest selling points are:
- The game is supposed to have 4x elements, with 3 different factions besides the player faction, each with contradictory goals and attitudes to the Pandora virus. They all have their own tech, which you can trade or steal. They've indicated that your choices with regards to factions will affect how the plot goes forward and even the ending.
- Aliens mutate during the course of the game. If you are too successful against a melee version, the melee weapon might be phased out and replaced with ranged one for example.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Also manual aiming, a form of TUs instead of 2AP, an inventory system where you can also pick items up and more

ArchAngel

Arcane
Weapons not limited to specific classes. Vehicles you are get inside and fight with. Each body part of your soldiers and aliens has its own life and armor and can be disabled. Overwatch that only works in direction you choose, not 360 like in nuXcoms.

Mazisky

Magister
Weapons not limited to specific classes. Vehicles you are get inside and fight with. Each body part of your soldiers and aliens has its own life and armor and can be disabled. Overwatch that only works in direction you choose, not 360 like in nuXcoms.

ArchAngel you seem to have faith in this game, will you try it at release?

ArchAngel

Arcane

ArchAngel you seem to have faith in this game, will you try it at release?
Define release? :D (I almost never play games on release day or few days after that, I don't trust anyone to release a non buggy good product on release day).

Saying that I would like to try in "on release" but I have not decided how yet. I don't feel like joining a new store and installing it on my PC.
I am thinking about just pirating it and playing it that way since I did FIG it and I do own a copy so I have 0 moral problems.
Probably I will watch people play it on twitch first on release and then evaluate if it is playable and fun to be worth downloading. If it is fun but buggy I might go for the new store so I can get patches fast.
If it looks fun and not buggy I might just install some version found on torrents.

On 13.12. Path of Exile league and expansion is coming and I will 100% play that one for 2 weeks at least so if I will play PP "on release" I will need to do that before that.

Also it is very possible that on release it is a mess and I will need to wait 1 month or more before it becomes playable so I can play PoE in peace and come back to PP at later time.

Last edited:

Iluvcheezcake

Prophet
Seems to me that a lot of content got cut to speed up the game release, buggy or not. Plus the added hook of post launch beefy dlc that adds new features for extra $ and to prolong game life.

We will see how it turns out.

geno

Savant
What's that fog at 0:19? The mist, Fog of War or just some fancy effect for the trailer?

Edit: Wait, since when are they using action points instead of time units?
Not like I can tell the difference.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
What's that fog at 0:19? The mist, Fog of War or just some fancy effect for the trailer?

Edit: Wait, since when are they using action points instead of time units?
Not like I can tell the difference.
They are time units but called action points to fool the Firaxis crowd

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
I defy anyone who doesn't already know about the game to understand from that launch trailer that it's a turn-based one and not a sort of cheesy Gears of War rip-off. It's seems that Gollop is ashamed by its roots, or maybe it's only misleading marketing based on embarassing and anti-consumer unofficial refund policies by Epic.

geno

Savant
To be honest, PP's marketing has always been awful, despite their claims it gave them more money.

Mazisky

Magister
I defy anyone who doesn't already know about the game to understand from that launch trailer that it's a turn-based one and not a sort of cheesy Gears of War rip-off. It's seems that Gollop is ashamed by its roots, or maybe it's only misleading marketing based on embarassing and anti-consumer unofficial refund policies by Epic.

Xcom 2 had the same trailer, felt like an action game rather than a strategy game. It's only cause marketing, people who already know the game gonna buy it regardless, casuals gonna try it because "it looks cool".

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
casuals gonna try it because "it looks cool"
And immediately after they will look for an instant refund. But have you ever tried to get a refund on Epic? I did it and I'm sure Dante wrote about this torment in some circle of Hell.

SymbolicFrank

Magister
Gollop doesn't understand why people like UFO. But he is sure it was far too complex, and the graphics sucked. Like how Todd improved Morrowind and Fallout.

prengle

Savant
lol i entirely forgot this was coming out after gollop and his boys took tencent's insurance money and effectively told their backers to fuck off

ufo defense is still absolutely timeless but julian, please kindly eat sectoid ass and fucking die, thank you

Ibbz

Augur
Gollop just needs to take a leaf out of Raf Colantonio's book and realise he doesn't need to have a team of 40, he could create a great game tailored to what his fans enjoy with less financial risk with only 10 people. (Then again the same could be said about 95% of IT Projects in general)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom