Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Star Wars: The Old Republic will kill WoW - outsourced to Broadsword

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Can confirm My Sniper got knife
I wish. Bioware took our trusty shiv away and replaced it with a thrown sword. Dosn't have the same charme as a shiv up someone's nose if he dares coming too close. Sad. :argh:

Oh and yes, one advanced class is always melee, so you can pick whatever class you want and have the option to be purly melee.
You haven't played the smuggler properly unless you tried scrapper. Pistol whipping and sucker punching enemies, while laughing like a madman every time "upper hand" triggers, is weirdly hypnotizing...

Little pro-tip for the future: keep in mind that assassin/shadow and scoundrel/operative get stealth, so they can easily bypass all those countless trashmobs lined up behind each other (Alderaan, I am looking at you!). So maybe keep those for a later playthrough to speed it up.

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
So far there're so many players around that enemies are dead or you can just run pass them but yes will pick the operative for future run with Sith agent, the sniper plays too much like mercenary i picked before, some stealth will quicken the play now when i know the first planet set up Comrade. Would also join Codexian guild even if I play this for story and shit&giggles mostly.

Codex Year of the Donut
So far there're so many players around that enemies are dead or you can just run pass them but yes will pick the operative for future run with Sith agent, the sniper plays too much like mercenary i picked before, some stealth will quicken the play now when i know the first planet set up Comrade. Would also join Codexian guild even if I play this for story and shit&giggles mostly.
Open your map, at the bottom right there's a dropdown to select your instance. If there's too many players try changing to a different one.

Wilian

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
why is everyone playing star wars again
Because it's good. As far as 'modern' Bioware games go, I'd put this next to the first Mass Effect except it has way, way more content.
I never played it at launch so I have no idea what it was like. I was always under the impression it was just a poor WoW clone so I never played it. It's more like kotor crossed with WoW combat.

The launch experience was unique to say the least. Massive memory leaks forcing reboots of the game on hourly basis, loading screens sometimes when just initiating dialogue, missing damage because of ability delay and animation delay and loading screens every five minutes. It's safe to say nothing worked.

Codex Year of the Donut
why is everyone playing star wars again
Because it's good. As far as 'modern' Bioware games go, I'd put this next to the first Mass Effect except it has way, way more content.
I never played it at launch so I have no idea what it was like. I was always under the impression it was just a poor WoW clone so I never played it. It's more like kotor crossed with WoW combat.

The launch experience was unique to say the least. Massive memory leaks forcing reboots of the game on hourly basis, loading screens sometimes when just initiating dialogue, missing damage because of ability delay and animation delay and loading screens every five minutes. It's safe to say nothing worked.
Surprised to hear that about loading screens, mine are near instant now.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I still remember when they injected so many payshop items, every time you logged in on the fleet the game showed you only blurry blobs everywhere for up to a whole minute, because the crappy engine could not handle all those extra textures in time. Since Bioware didn't want us to laugh at their poor choice of technology, the game was changed to cover that up with a fake loading screen after a few seconds. Fake, since you could still see yourself moving around, because the loading screen was lacking a few pixels in every direction. :hahano:

Wake up call: you now are forced to pick the advanced class at the start.
I know, just meant it as "you can pick any of the 8 classes and play it melee-only (by picking the correct advanced class)". Too many complaints by people to stupid to read and then forced to delete and replay the whole first planet. Noticed that when I used my leftover sub time to rush through the inqui story again.
Funfact: the game bugged out and skipped the first meeting with Kalig on DK. That's a kinda sorta pretty important plot point missing there.

Removing the advanced class choice on the fleet is not the only thing Bioware dumbed down streamlined. They apparently removed rewards from bonus questlines (and informing inform people those even exist), planetary commendashun vendors and, more important, the flashpoint rewards. There were good looking things not available anywhere else among them. Bet they had to make room in the database to add more cartel stuff. Sad.

you suckers made me redownload it =_= but only because cutting your own wrists is out of fashion.

on a related note: origin sucks so much that even ea doesn't want to use it, trying to "buy" the game through origin opens a browser window to its site. which lacks the "download" button, it has to be found, sort of hidden, inside the profile.
i have a dream, one day men won't say "you're retarded" anymore. they'll say "you're electronic arts".

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Not sure why people are marking this funny, what he describes is true. Every party member engages in the dialogue together.
He's talking about dialogue in group content, lad.

True. Story is the main draw in TOR and you can experience it with a group and everyone's input due to, what would in other MMORPGs be a quest window, here usually getting presented via full-fledged dialog, though. In my opinion all other game elements are mediocre compared to similar offerings out there and it's a shame that latter Flashpoints aka "dungeons with story and choices" didn't really continue in the same vein like some of the early ones. I think those encapsulate what TOR could've been the best.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
You may have noticed that there are unused areas with a speeder station. There were some extra quests to... well let's be honest, in the old day you had to do every shit quest to have any chance of not being hopelessly underleveled. The nice touch was, they were not always directly after you had done that planet, but you had to return later. Those quest are still in the game AFAIK, but only get available once you are lvl60 or so, and nobody tells you about it. And only reward moneys and xp now.
Since doing both purple questlines per planet is enough xp to keep you fed, there's no need to bother with those now called "exploration quests". You even have to check the box on the map to get them displayed at all.

Sad.

Well, Biowares's original plan was to pretty much "restart" the game with KOTFE and unify all classes into one ("the outlander" for KOTFE, later just "the commander"), so you're getting pretty rushed through that old stuff. Nowadays you barely spend time on each planet, as if you booked "tour the galaxy in only 10 days" somewhere.
We used to spent hours on each planet, and that's not even counting the vast distances you have to travel later. Plus you had to find taxi stations to unlock them. I think filthy casual f2ps still have to?

Codex Year of the Donut
You may have noticed that there are unused areas with a speeder station. There were some extra quests to... well let's be honest, in the old day you had to do every shit quest to have any chance of not being hopelessly underleveled. The nice touch was, they were not always directly after you had done that planet, but you had to return later. Those quest are still in the game AFAIK, but only get available once you are lvl60 or so, and nobody tells you about it. And only reward moneys and xp now.
Since doing both purple questlines per planet is enough xp to keep you fed, there's no need to bother with those now called "exploration quests". You even have to check the box on the map to get them displayed at all.

Sad.

Well, Biowares's original plan was to pretty much "restart" the game with KOTFE and unify all classes into one ("the outlander" for KOTFE, later just "the commander"), so you're getting pretty rushed through that old stuff. Nowadays you barely spend time on each planet, as if you booked "tour the galaxy in only 10 days" somewhere.
We used to spent hours on each planet, and that's not even counting the vast distances you have to travel later. Plus you had to find taxi stations to unlock them. I think filthy casual f2ps still have to?
Ooh do you mean the Bonus Series quest chain that some planets have?
They get unlocked after finishing the planet's questline, someone in the hangar will offer it to you.

I've done nearly all the quests I've encountered so far on my Sniper, it's a shame they have the 'exploration quest' toggle off by default because new people will miss them. A lot of them are pretty fun/interesting.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
I'll probably do a Sentinel/Marauder as a long time project in the future and do every stupid quest I can find. For old times' sake. Barely remember their quests, but I remember they were good. -ish.
:negative:

Codex Year of the Donut
Also, I'm not really surprised they unified the class storylines. They should have probably done it sooner with some class-based branching, there was simply too much content to create and it's better to make one good story than eight meh ones.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
one good story than eight meh ones.
Yeah, about that... didn't work out that well.

Plus there are some missions chapters in KOTFE, where they weren't even pretending to write for anyone else than the Outlander turned Jedi Knight anymore. One has you stumble to the jungle alone, gain magic rocket thrusters on your boots (since you cannot force jump), talk to force ghosts (because SPOILER mental gymnastics allows everyone to), then collect lightsaber parts and use those floating parts at a lightsaber forge to construct a... sniper rifle? Out of wood. Ooooookay? Then we pacify an animal with our NotJedi mind tricks, because reasons.
WTF Bioware, put some effort into it FFS! :argh:

Commissar Draco

Codexia Comrade Colonel Commissar
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Divinity: Original Sin 2
idk why anyone would play a star wars game and NOT be a jedi

it'd be like going to jurassic park and petting the goats

Spoken like a coward and fool like A Jedi. Completed planet with Imperial agent its indeed shame that they offer those extra planet quests one time a week now and for only one toon (they are called heroic quest or such think they were group raids in ancient times but now they're perfectly duable when you have decent gear and your first companion) had fun making them with my DAESH Ninja lass Bounty Hunter but as dialogues goes Imperial Agent is better though.

Codex Year of the Donut

Spoken like a coward and fool like A Jedi. Completed planet with Imperial agent its indeed shame that they offer those extra planet quests one time a week now and for only one toon (they are called heroic quest or such think they were group raids in ancient times but now they're perfectly duable when you have decent gear and your first companion) had fun making them with my DAESH Ninja lass Bounty Hunter but as dialogues goes Imperial Agent is better though.
There's lots of heroic quests, just keep playing. Each planet has about 5-8 of them.

Bliblablubb

Arcane
Heroics were just "recommended to be played by groups of 2+", thanks to the magic of level scaling it's just "yeah whatever, hold my vodka" now.
They did reward alliance creates before the 6.0 update, dunno what if what they spew out now, or what they even cough up for players without KOTFE. I think they are even listed in the activities finder, so you can fast travel to them from anywhere. Good source of money if you do the Czerka planet ones all in one go.

As for not picking Jedi, while not my main choice, Smuggler/Agent/BH offer some nice alternative perspective on what is happening in the galaxy, without you being the superhero galaxy saving hero and center of the universe. Especially HOW you interact with Jedi/Sith, offers great opportunities. Smuggler's oblivious ditz was a nice and funny approach, but agents get the main price there of course. Jadus chews the scenery in the most uncomfortable way possible. He (and his daughter maybe in a different way) made me really feel small and fragile. I regret making keeper look bad. :cry:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron

Don't these reset each day? In any case, yeah, at launch some of these were a real challenge for a group of 4 clueless newbies.

Jadus chews the scenery in the most uncomfortable way possible.

The Master is fire and passion and power. All whom he touches are bound to burn up.

Darth Jadus is my 2nd favourite Sith Lord from this game, right after :obviously: Darth Marr.

I do NOT regret siding with him. Hand of Jadus out.

Codex Year of the Donut
The hub-based zones in city areas makes this one of the few(if only) MMO I've played where cities feel like cities rather than tiny towns with 50 residents.
I don't think I've ever preferred the 'tiny city' design in any game, hub-based design always seems to be better.
Nar Shaddaa, Coruscant, and Corellia (of what I've visited so far and were intended to have large cities) all did a really good job of this. The taxis between hubs really help sell the illusion.
The people who made Dromund Kaas apparently did not get the memo.
Corellia is really well designed, definitely feels like what they intended.

Codex Year of the Donut
Another reason the credit limit on F2P accounts is arbitrary and unneeded: If you have a friend(you trust), you can buy expensive items anyways. You can go past 1m by using your bank(I'm nearing 8m.) j Just trade the money to your friend 1m at a time, have them buy it and mail it to you :M
I'll sub when I get done with all the content available to F2P, I wanted to see how much content was truly free and the answer is: quite a lot.

Also, I like that companions solve many of their problems on their own and just ask you for advice on the situation. I shouldn't need to hold the hands of a sith warrior across the galaxy to go talk to someone.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom