Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Linux RPG list

Are you willing to give Linux a chance?

• I am already on Linux

• Didn't know so much incline was available on Linux, might consider it

• There is a game that i really really have to play and is unavailable, else i might consider it

• I am a Windowsfag, i love viruses, malware, NSA spying on me, DRM, and all that

Results are only viewable after voting.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
For a 4K display you would truly want a 2080 or something like that. I have a 1080 but decided not to get a 4K display myself because IMO, I would rather have 120 FPS on ultra in HD than 60 FPS on medium details in 4K.
Depends on what you want, I suppose.

4K monitors are an overpriced meme. 1920x1080 is literally all one needs, and one can use the money saved to purchase a decent GPU.

Bad Sector

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The "MINGW32 msys" project was different. It was a thin portability layer around Windows. Cygwin makes everything slow.

TBH i haven't checked how msys2 does its portability. Does it use Cygwin? I thought it just used "native" MinGW libraries. Whatever i compile though doesn't rely on any Cygwin layer, so i was under the impression everything on msys2 was compiled like that.

Try running a few GNU autotools configure scripts, especially the old crufty ones that check for pointless 20-year-old things. Using fork(2)/execve(2) combo takes forever.

I built from source the X11 libraries and almost all their dependencies (msys2 doesn't contain those but i wanted to do some X11 development without running a VM and i do not have disk space for a Linux installation). It was slow, but not terribly so and as i already wrote i do not really mind it. The benefits of having msys2 are more than any negatives for me.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I'm not retarded, thank you very much.

For comparison, yours:
07a8e1431a35f49707a9bfbf32ea75c6.png

Notice the top of the letter P is blurry, the letter H, and most letters are blurry in a more subtle way.

Windows:
26da39da06b1dedcfd9edd2113ce43f9.png

Super crisp.
They are both shit.

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
One of the largest impediments to my using linux as a daily driver is that OpenOffice doesn't interpret and generate perfect versions of MS Office-compatible files. edit: or at least, it didn't as of several years ago.

I assume some of you must be professionals, and as such have to use track changes and work collaboratively on slide decks. If every time my edits came back and the global formatting / text / etc was even slightly changed because of OpenOffice, that would be a serious problem.
I use Google docs or Office 365 for collaborative editing. And linux.

Silly Germans

Overleaf is good if you are free to use Latex for documents. I hate it when people send me those fucking docx shit files that change every few years due to a new office version.
The least they could do is convert them to an open file format or at minimum attach a pdf with the contents.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I use Google docs or Office 365 for collaborative editing. And linux.
Why are you using Linux if not to break loose of spyware from Microsoft and other companies? That seems like the main draw for me.
Nah, I don't care about any of that, but use Linux for everything (only occasionally switching to Windows for work and the odd game).
I use Linux because it's just way more efficient to use for both work & leisure, way more customizable, way more transparent, faster (Manjaro Plasma boots and opens programs about twice as fast as Win10 for me, both on the same SSD).
Well, and I am not depending on any software not running on it, like Adobe stuff.

I know some people use Linux for ideology reasons, but mostly I don't give a crap about software being open-source, free, fuck MS, spybloat, etc. I only care about what works better for me, and that just happens to be Linux...

Nifft Batuff

Prophet
I use Google docs
Unless you absolutely need GDocs for work, you should get off the platform, especially for personal use.
I see your point. I use gdocs/office cloud mainly for convenience. It is very basic, but it is effective for collaborative editing and to be free from the need of specific OS/computer to do my work. Plus, in this way, I don't care anymore if people insist to send me docx or xlsx even if I am using linux. Even if I am using windows or a mac, I don't care to install any office shit just to see these documents.
While I do my core work on private computing servers (running linux), privacy is not so an issue in my work since the main goal is anyway to render public and accessible my results (I work in an academic institution)

cosmicray

Savant
What's the proper way to manage games bought on gog and humble? I looked today at my installed games in Lutris and felt completely overwhelmed. Since I haven't installed them through Lutris(it can install GOG at least) I need to delete them one by one by running uninstall script.
I can't believe it, by I almost crave to buy games on Steam. With Proton and management it's easy to give in.

Bah

Arcane
I need to delete them one by one by running uninstall script.

When I want to delete a game I simply "rm -rf /opt/game" (or wherever I installed it to). Unlike windows, you don't have some global registry that has to get cleaned up as well. Although, you may have to look to see if the game created some content in your home-directory, but sometimes I do want that to stay even if the game is removed.

cosmicray

Savant
Well, GOG installer created links in menus which will stay. Plus it might have created something in /bin and whatnot. Although I doubt about the latter since it's not some packet. I still need to "uninstall". Although, perhaps I should have used Lutris to install everything from GOG and I would have had less of a problem.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For GOG, I'd definitely go entirely through Lutris. The GOG installers for Linux are a joke, some of the slowest installers of all time and with lots of trouble in the "maintenance" department.
It's basically Windows installers with a Linux paint - which is just weird.

That they cannot be arsed to put Galaxy on Linux shows that they really don't care about the platform. Updating games is a nightmare with GOG on Linux.
How does Lutris handle GOG game updates, actually?

Bah

Arcane
Well, GOG installer created links in menus which will stay. Plus it might have created something in /bin and whatnot. Although I doubt about the latter since it's not some packet. I still need to "uninstall". Although, perhaps I should have used Lutris to install everything from GOG and I would have had less of a problem.

Yeah, I would not recommend any installer that requires running as root and puts files into system areas. Nothing goes in my /bin without going through my distro's package manager. I install GOG games using wine to /opt/gog/<gamename>, and then deleting them is simple. Any "menu" links are in your ~/ area and can just be deleted from the file system directly, but installing the games through wine doesn't lead to any of those issues.

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
What's the proper way to manage games bought on gog and humble? I looked today at my installed games in Lutris and felt completely overwhelmed. Since I haven't installed them through Lutris(it can install GOG at least) I need to delete them one by one by running uninstall script.
I can't believe it, by I almost crave to buy games on Steam. With Proton and management it's easy to give in.
I had a similar urge to just use Steam when I was using Linux a while back, despite how much I hate Steam. My advice: switch to Windows. Managing individual programs is much easier there.

Yeah, I would not recommend any installer that requires running as root and puts files into system areas. Nothing goes in my /bin without going through my distro's package manager. I install GOG games using wine to /opt/gog/<gamename>, and then deleting them is simple. Any "menu" links are in your ~/ area and can just be deleted from the file system directly, but installing the games through wine doesn't lead to any of those issues.
^ You don't have to deal with any of the above crap or anything similar if you use Windows with an admin account.

cosmicray

Savant
That they cannot be arsed to put Galaxy on Linux shows that they really don't care about the platform. Updating games is a nightmare with GOG on Linux.
Yeah, they really dropped the ball here by having Galaxy 2 without linux support, despite saying that Galaxy 1 would have it.

How does Lutris handle GOG game updates, actually?
Beats me. But I don't think it actually patches games.

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Holy fucking shit, integer scaling is available for all Linux GPU drivers. Including the nvidia blob.
Code:
xrandr --output DP-0 --scale 0.5 --filter nearest

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
I have been playing Frayed Knights, Antharion and Legends of Amberland on Wine, and so far they have been working flawlessly. They're three charming and kind of unambitious indie games, nothing to write home about actually, yet I believe they're being unfairly overlooked around here.

Knights of the Chalice does also work, but sadly without music.

Ranarama

Learned

That's why I never ended up finishing Pathfinder. Fucking nightmare to redownload with every damn patch.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
FYI, there is now minigalaxy.
It is basically a simplified GOG client for Linux. However, still doesn't have patching.

I seriously doubt it ever will have patching, as the reason for not having it is AFAIK that GOG doesn't even support that for Linux. There's just not much that could be done to work around GOG limitations.
The developer would probably have to offer separate patch files, and that would be a ton of work to do, and only for GOG...

Still, it seems to be pretty cool for games that aren't being patched anymore.

Ontopoly

Disco Hitler
2) Console RPGs : Consoles that have good emulators on Linux include NES, Master System, Game Boy, Game Gear, SNES, Genesis/Mega Drive, PS1, Saturn, Dreamcast, Gamecube, PS2, PSP, NDS, GBA, PS3, 3DS, Wii, Wii U (through WINE but will soon get a native version). 80s home computers like Amiga and Atari ST work as well.
I've wanted to play a bunch of PSP Games because it's a handheld I never had access to but I've heard PSP emulation is absolute garbage. I know for a fact some of those listed have great emulation though. Is the psp part just Linux cultists doing their whole usual thing where they act like Linux has pretty much no downsides and a few crashes is considered good or is there legitimately good PSP emulation? No stuttering, sound issues, etc?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom