Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Looking for Etrian Odyssey-like games for Nintendo Switch

biggestboss

Liturgist
Been kind of hungering for this kind of experience recently, but all the ones I've googled are too focused on pre-made characters/parties or don't have a sense of exploration.

Thanks in advance.

Repressed Homosexual
I don't think there is anything yet that replicates the formula nearly as well

I wish for the same thing as you as well.

By the way if you have a 3DS, all Etrian games are heavily discounted for the Black Friday sale on the Eshop.

Last edited:

biggestboss

Liturgist
I wasn't a fan of the claustrophobic environments when I played the demo for LoR a couple of months back, but I might try it again to see how I feel about it since I really want an EO game right now.

Swigen

Arbiter
Moero Chronicle
Mary Skelter 2

Both are on switch eshop but, like Labyrinth of Refrain, they may be in your face with anime story. I played Mary Skelter: Nightmares on Vita and the sense of exploration was definitely there, the fucken dungeons were massive.

TheImplodingVoice

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk
The Lost Child
Vaporum (But it's not that good though and don't know how it plays performance wise on Switch)

Last edited:

Silentstorm

Learned
Vaporum will apparently get a new game as it seems to have sold well, played the first one on PC and it was...alright, i guess?

It just lacked...content, and it felt very much like the first Bioshock without a lot of the charm, also needed more variety in enemies, and i remember one block puzzle just being really damn annoying and boring, to find the solution it wasn't so bad, but i remember having to push and pull boxes for a long time in one puzzle and it dragged a lot, actually some block pushing puzzles are ones i recall not being very long but somehow still feeling like they dragged down more than they should.

That being said, it is a dungeon crawler and the new game will be more of the same only with more stuff, more equipment, enemies, abilities and what not, hopefully the addition of more stuff to use and hopefully fight can spice up the upcoming game a bit.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Labyrinth of Refrain: Coven of Dusk.

I would say it's way better than Etrian Odyssey, or at least better than the ones I've played.
hot dang this heap is on switch too. i should get it for the xmas vacation

Doktor Best

Arcane
I don't think there is anything yet that replicates the formula nearly as well

I wish for the same thing as you as well.

By the way if you have a 3DS, all Etrian games are heavily discounted for the Black Friday sale on the Eshop.

Seems like they arent in the german eshop. Bummer.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
Your best bet is to just wait for the new Etrian Odyssey game that will come to the Switch, but knowing Atlus that won't happen for a very long time. We're still waiting on SMT5. You can try Coven and The Lost Child, but they are severely sub-par. Extremely easy games without the joy of deep, engaging and challenging party building and combat like in Etrian.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom