Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Sarkile

Magister
Patron
You'd need to rewrite large chunks of thing. Like the tranny shopkeep that sold an important artifact to evil for a sex change (yes, really) or LG deity that smites you instantly if you show the slightest bit of disagreement. The background traits lock you into a very specific backstory and can easily create siutations that don't make any sense

Touched by Divinity makes you a child of a deity. Whoever wrote this forgot that Pathfinder's racial gods have worshipers outside their race, often more than they do of their race. You wind up with nonsense like a Taldan (white) Human that could be the child of Torag (king of the dwarfs who is also married to another dwarf), Irori (An ascetic and Indian), Nethys (an insane god of magic who happens to be a black human), Erastil (traditionalist for whom having kids out of wedlock would be out of character), or Gorum (a giant that cares only for battle and is never seen outside of his armor), or an Elf child of Iomedae (a human who only became a god ~100 years ago) and more. Nearly half the core pantheon doesn't work.

It's not even a major plot point or anything. After killing one of the bosses a servant of their deity walks up to you and says you're the god's kid. That's literally it. Really.
If any of the PCs has the Touched by Divinity campaign trait, when they defeat the Templars and Zanedra in the fane, a staggering thing occurs. The entire structure suddenly begins to shake and vibrate, and light and energy coruscates over the walls and statues in the complex. As the PCs watch, the defiled structure reverts—its wall carvings and statues regain their original appearance before the fall of Sarkoris. The PC who has the Touched by Divinity campaign trait glows with this same energy, and that PC alone can see the agents of his deity as they move about the fane, reworking the statues and carvings. One of these minions appears before that player at the end of the event to personally thank him. This minion is visible to all party members, and all can hear the minion’s revelation that the PC’s deity has been waiting for this moment to reveal the truth of his heritage—the PC is the child of the deity. At your discretion, the deity’s herald may even manifest before the player to deliver this message. No additional boons or rewards (apart from the completion of a mythic trial for that PC) are granted—this is merely a long-delayed explanation for the character that reveals truths about his past

It drops that a PC is a demigod in a sidebar.

In-fact, Elfs are pretty much unplayable in the AP without any of the traits breaking since all of them use the Worldwound (which only opened ~100 years ago) in the character's childhood.
Yeah, I just figured most of those bits would be pretty easy to write out or fix during the transition to the computer. It's not like Owlcat took any consideration of Kingmaker's background traits, and the tranny is pretty easily ignored too. I just figured the theme of repelling a demon invasion would work well and possibly sell decently on PC.

deuxhero

Arcane
Sarkile
Kingmaker's traits were all "Why are you joining this expedition" and the game just left the PC's motives unanswered. WotR's are tied to the plot and mechanics.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The first Pillars of Eternity sold better than Kingmaker. I'd recommend you wait and see how their sequel does before putting them mentally on the same level as Larian Studios
PoE was teased for years, came from a known big name RPG studio, and hit right in the middle of BG starved market. But it sucked so hard, even PoE2 paid the price of failing those expectations. Kingmaker came out of nowhere, an unknown studio's premiere game and buggy mess, yet was still received quite well.

RPG powerhouse. People talked about Harebrained Schemes the same way after Dragonfall

:nocountryforshitposters:
HBS made decent tiny games in popamole, American-oriented universe, they sold well for what they are, as some people like to fetishize about the goth waifu that met Satan and the setting is bullshit enough to let that slide, but let's not get too excited. Battletech was their first fairly big game, and look how it does. Even despite solid combat mechanics, the game is a monotonous slog. Again, Kingmaker was quite large in scope, and plays rather solid up until the mechanics power creep your characters to demi-gods in the final chapters. Still I wouldn't even call Owlcat a powerhouse.

Last edited:

jf8350143

Liturgist
I'm worried that Kingmaker's success might give them the wrong idea and thinking they are actually competent game designer, then trying to "evolve the system" in their next game.

Kingmaker is a great game and all owlcat did was dragging it down with their awful design choices and endless bugs.

Stick to the PnP system and adventure module, leave all those bullshit encounter design and dice meddling out of the game.

Game made competent Kings out of most players, but some^ just shat in every topic about it they could find.

Wut? I can't stand it, and I got further into it than 95% of players according to the game's own achievement stats (made it to House at the Edge of Time at this point).

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
There are only 22 people at Owlcats. Maybe less now after crunch. All white, males and females. Compare to obshitian....

White doesn't matter. The Poz is largely a white disease. It's about class, and most Russkies don't suffer from an oversupply nor an avarice to attain/maintain it.

EDIT: maybe they do. That's a human thing. No denying they're underdogs compared to TEDTalk Sawyer. Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose.

Last edited:

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game made competent Kings out of most players, but some^ just shat in every topic about it they could find.

Wut? I can't stand it, and I got further into it than 95% of players according to the game's own achievement stats (made it to House at the Edge of Time at this point).
Are you that guy that said that ARPGs are the future of RPGs?

Are you that guy that said that ARPGs are the future of RPGs?

Other than the un-replicatable glory that is Disco Disco, I see nothing that has disputed that statement. Although I do have some hopes for Realms Beyond and Stoneshard.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Shitmaker 2: Turdistry
At least he is not that far off with his choice of affectionate nickname for Kingmaker.
Game threw you into the deep waters kicking and screaming. You either were forced to learn how to swim, or became a Porky...

Last edited:

razvedchiki

Erudite
porky basically got buttmad because in a game set on fantasy world a weakling can drink a potion and become a seasoned warrior,also you cant win fights based only on moves descripted on 15th century weapon drill manuals but instead you have to depend on magic buffing (in a world based on fantasy).

Deleted Member 16721

Porky is mad because the game is too hard for him but he refuses to lower the difficulty. Not much you can do about those types.

I am guessing "The ruins of Atzlan" just because, I don't even know if its an actual module. Just saw it on the map and thought some of the puzzle shapes might fit and the name sounds like a game, so there...

The first Pillars of Eternity sold better than Kingmaker. I'd recommend you wait and see how their sequel does before putting them mentally on the same level as Larian Studios

I'd double down and say they're (at least) on the same level now. AFAIK none of the newer Obsidian writers have proven to be as competent as the older ones, I haven't bought TOW so don't know how much Cainarsky had to do with the writing there, and - just personally - preferred the wiriting/mental level/structure of PK to POE anyway.

Still, my post was a bit of a troll at Sawyer's expense. He essentially admitted that he doesn't know what fun is - when the Codex always seemed to assume that it was just never allowed under his watch.

I'm not really interested in the Pillars vs Pathfinder pissing match. What I'm saying is that in recent years we've seen a lot of sequels that tanked compared to the original games. It's almost a rule these days, with Divinity: Original Sin 2 as the sole exception. So be careful before proclaiming Owlcat Games as the next RPG powerhouse. People talked about Harebrained Schemes the same way after Dragonfall and that didn't last.

sorry, you will be very upset by Owlcats continued success I am afraid.

As long as they stick to pumping out modules (or AP's) to pathfinder or D20 or AD&D and sticking strictly to the rules I guarantee this to be the case. All the other technical details will fall by the wayside, so unless somebody completely fucks up and spends the entire production money on cocaine or something, if they follow this simple formula they will succeed, it won't be a 'fluke'.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In

I'd double down and say they're (at least) on the same level now. AFAIK none of the newer Obsidian writers have proven to be as competent as the older ones, I haven't bought TOW so don't know how much Cainarsky had to do with the writing there, and - just personally - preferred the wiriting/mental level/structure of PK to POE anyway.

Still, my post was a bit of a troll at Sawyer's expense. He essentially admitted that he doesn't know what fun is - when the Codex always seemed to assume that it was just never allowed under his watch.

I'm not really interested in the Pillars vs Pathfinder pissing match. What I'm saying is that in recent years we've seen a lot of sequels that tanked compared to the original games. It's almost a rule these days, with Divinity: Original Sin 2 as the sole exception. So be careful before proclaiming Owlcat Games as the next RPG powerhouse. People talked about Harebrained Schemes the same way after Dragonfall and that didn't last.

sorry, you will be very upset by Owlcats continued success I am afraid.

As long as they stick to pumping out modules (or AP's) to pathfinder or D20 or AD&D and sticking strictly to the rules I guarantee this to be the case. All the other technical details will fall by the wayside, so unless somebody completely fucks up and spends the entire production money on cocaine or something, if they follow this simple formula they will succeed, it won't be a 'fluke'.

You are completely right. The marked showed time and again that if you find dedicated niche audience you can survive for years by producing very similar middle-budget games that can reuse some of the assets you've already made.
Examples:
Dynasty Warriors and clones (shitload of them)
Neptunia (6 plus weeb RPGs)
Kings Bounty: The Legend (they made 4 almost identical games and are now creating an upgraded sequel)
Atelier (I don't even know how many of those are there, they are almost identical)
Etrian Odyssey (5 games + 2 Persona spinoffs)
IMO Owlcat could produce at least 3 more Pathfinder games that are just Kingmaker + more shit (classes, races, spells) + new campaign.

Efe

Erudite
they say devs spoiled the module but did anyone find the full image?

Serus

Arcane
Patron
I'm worried that Kingmaker's success might give them the wrong idea and thinking they are actually competent game designer, then trying to "evolve the system" in their next game.

Kingmaker is a great game and all owlcat did was dragging it down with their awful design choices and endless bugs.

Stick to the PnP system and adventure module, leave all those bullshit encounter design and dice meddling out of the game.
Yes i agree, stick to pnp system.

It's turn based.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom