Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Archaelund gets a teaser trailer, coming to Early Access in Fall 2020

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: 4 Dimension Games; Archaelund

Back in February we posted about Archaelund, the upcoming Realms of Arkania-style RPG by the Codex's DavidBVal set in the world of his previous game Exiled Kingdoms. Archaelund was originally supposed to come out on Steam Early Access in early 2020, but now it looks like it's going to be late 2020. The game has come far enough along to get its own Steam page though, including a super cool teaser trailer. I'll post the trailer along with the Early Access FAQ:

Why Early Access?

There is already an active community following Archaelund's development in forums; we want to broaden this community and give them an Early Access version so they can participate. Listening to players is essential, plus we love to have an active community playing, enjoying the updates and providing feedback during the upcoming years of development.

Approximately how long will this game be in Early Access?

The goal is to release the first Early Access version in fall 2020, then over the following years to make gradual updates until all the planned content is implemented. Our priority is making the game as good as it can get, and make it huge, so we have no dates set in stone.

How is the full version planned to differ from the Early Access version?
  • The Early Access version to be released on fall 2020 includes around 30% of the whole planned geographical areas.
  • Some of the already available areas might be improved during development.
  • The Early Access version covers the character progression up to a limited level, based on the available content at the time.
  • Many more Advanced Careers and playable races are planned, as moving into new Careers is an important part of the character development once mid and high levels are reached.
  • The first Early Access release only includes the first chapter of the Main Quest.
We will make a great effort to make all saved games compatible through each Early Access update.

What is the current state of the Early Access version?

The Early Access version scheduled for fall 2020 will be a playable game with all the core mechanics of Archaelund being functional. The geographical content will include most of the Southern March, a large semi-civilized region of Archaelund. The first chapter of the game's main quest will be completable, as well as dozens of handcrafted quests. This amounts to no less than 30 hours of playable content, probably more.

Will the game be priced differently during and after Early Access?
We will gradually raise the price during the Early Access stage, as we add content and features.

How are you planning on involving the Community in your development process?
By listening attentively, of course! Both positive and negative feedback will be considered. No matter how much thought and work we put into a game, the interaction with players and listening to their opinion is essential to reach the full potential of Archaelund.

Fall 2020 seems like a long time from now, but it's all relative. David tells us he's planned a five year development cycle, with almost four years still left to go until the game's final release.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This actually really looks like incline, though I'm usually not a fan of first-person games, the combat being turn-based isometric should do a lot to alleviate said concerns. Shame about the early access though. I'll have to be teased by cool videos and pictures for the next four years it looks like if I want to play the completed thing.

hexer

Good luck to the dev but I hope at one point he'll be able to hire someone to help him with the original graphics.
I recognize how most art is from Unity Asset Store and because of it, the game doesn't have a consistent look.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Good luck to the dev but I hope at one point he'll be able to hire someone to help him with the original graphics.
I recognize how most art is from Unity Asset Store and because of it, the game doesn't have a consistent look.
The art style and animations are what takes away from the game at first glance. The animation from the first person to isometric is very jarring and doesn't look seem like it'd be all too pleasant and the characters also come off as weird and wooden. Seems like I'm just graphic whoring but shit like this is of vital importance when it comes to elevating the quality of your game.

hexer

Yeah the realistic and cartoony/stylized art pieces are clashing.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
This actually really looks like incline, though I'm usually not a fan of first-person games, the combat being turn-based isometric should do a lot to alleviate said concerns. Shame about the early access though. I'll have to be teased by cool videos and pictures for the next four years it looks like if I want to play the completed thing.
You really ought to play Realms of Arkania HD

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
It does look ugly, which may not bother people like many of us, but it certainly undermines its potential success. The teaser also looks pretty boring, and if I didn't care for these kinds of games in the first place I wouldn't give a crap about this. Before any combat, a trailer should show us character sheets to ignite our imagination, and maybe some camping options, weird skills or spells being used to solve some puzzle, some dude getting tetanus, or whatever. Think of the Age of Decadence trailers for example.

Of course this is pure marketing that wouldn't change the game itself a whole lot, but presentation alone can be the difference between a cult classic and a mainstream hit (or between a cult classic and a forgotten indie game).

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Catalan detected.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom