Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Which RPG got inventory completely right?

Artyoan

Arbiter
I prefer a grid based inventory system. I don't necessarily mind packratting equipment and non-usable items, but carrying around large amounts of consumables has always felt off. I think I would move to having separate inventory grids. One grid for weapons/armor and a different smaller one for components to make up consumable items. It would move away from realism I suppose but a small inventory for components would encourage the use of consumables as opposed to saving it for rainy days that never come and ending the game with hundreds. If I can only have a couple potion slots and a small bag of herbs, then I'm likely to use those potions a lot more if herbs are plentiful but my bag's capacity is small. Experimental combinations could have a lot of potential there too I think.

Desolate Dancer

Educated
Since I'm an ardent BG2 fan I would say they got it almost perfectly right. No need to bother with grids and shit, you have a decent amount of slots plus your encumbrance as the only limiting factor, plus many items like potions and gems will stack. You also had neat containers, most notably the bag of holding. However, if you want an even higher level of verisimilitude then I would do this: make the following three size category identifiers for all items, all the while being slotless:
A; large items: you may only fit one item of this type in your inventory at a time, like one armor OR one body, weight applies
B; normal items: you can carry any number of items of this type up to your encumbrance limit, so weight is the only limiting factor here
C; misc items: weightless items, or maybe they apply the minimum weight unit if stacked to max (e.g. 10 potions of ejaculation), you might as well carry all items in the game of this type

I don't believe that grids are any fun for an RPG, it was annoying is fuck in Diablo, in NWN in every game I can think of, as usually this level of "realism" is not needed.

Wunderbar

Arcane
I don't believe that grids are any fun for an RPG, it was annoying is fuck in Diablo, in NWN in every game I can think of, as usually this level of "realism" is not needed.
Grid-based inventories can be fun if implemented correctly.

Deus Ex did it best, because you couldn't carry every weapon for each cathegory and was forced to specialize. Most powerful heavy weapons were huge, and even if you ignore them and focus on conventional firearms, you're still going to have trouble with having a sniper rifle, an assault rifle and a shotgun all at the same time. There is some room for improvement though - consumable stacking is way to generous, and ammunition doesn't take space at all, which makes it too easy to hoard ammo for brute force.

Arcanum uses grid-based size-limited inventory too, but it also limits your carrying capacity by weight (which is defined by your character's attributes). Unlike DE, Arcanum doesn't stack consumables into one slot. Unfortunately, it suffers from other issues like unlimited ammo (which is universal between all firearms) / batteries / fuel capacity.

Diablo 1-2 - yeah, due to its gameplay loop (find a piece of equipment, use it for some time, drop it in favor of a cooler piece of equipment, rince and repeat) it doesn't really matter whether the item is big or small, items don't take space while equipped anyway. Blizzard understood that when they made every weapon and armor take equal space in D3, effectively limiting player's inventory by amount instead of size.

For the most part grid-based inventories limited by size may serve two functions - gameplay or immersion. If it doesn't work gameplay-wise and your game isn't focused on delivering a realistic and immersive experience (it should fit KCD way more than its current oblivion inventory), then the inventory shouldn't be grid-based and limited by size. Another reason not to use this type of inventory is the abundance of trash items like notes, keys, crafting components, useless cuttlery, etc - basically, TES.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
GOG will say your game doesn't fit their agenda, they did not allow to sell Grimoire.

It is true, experimentation is what got us the best stuff in fact, stuff we like, but nowadays u really need to tread carefully with it. And I still don't remember many games where players obviously lose their stuff.

Well, there was Ultima Online where PKs would murder your horse, you, take your ore, your items, and leave you a ghost to BOOOO around. There is EVE online etc. Single-player tho? Well in Spehh Rangers other guys collect junk and loot I guess.

I think Space rangers did the whole 'choose your loot carefully' really well.
At the start of the game, you had to make a decision on what upgrades to install. And this is a good feeling since you fear the world instead of the world fearing you at the start.
You had to deal with sub-optimal parts configurations and it had that fun progression where you try to make money and hopefully afford upgrades to make that dream ship, reversing the role at the end from prey to hunter.

huskarls

Scholar
inventory management is a necessary evil like having a job. Its not fun, its not challenging, its not immersive; it is tedious. The best inventory system would make inventory as small as possible and managing it take as little time as possible

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
There is a reason why original PnP RPG had camp followers. It was to spare you from the madness that is inventory management minigame.
The best inventory management system is to have someone drive a cart with whatever you want to sell to your headquarter so that you don't have to bother with such trivial task.

Bruma Hobo

Lurker
Mass Effect 2, because it removed it entirely. Inventory management, especially the looting part, fucking sucks.
I haven't played Mass Effect 2, but that's what Expeditions: Conquistador kind of did, and it worked pretty well (better than Viking, which unfortunately is a more traditional game). RPGs don't need to degenerate into hobo simulators making the player loot every corpse and every barrel in town, unless of course it's a survival game like NEO Scavenger.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
Which classic (or modern I guess) RPG did inventory fucking perfect? Was there one?

Classic that did inventory right? Wizardry 4 or 5, or Wizardry Empire 2.

Modern game? Elminage: Gothic.

I think games that have large inventories are usually bad at resource management as well. I prefer a smaller inventory system but where every single item is important or has a use, like Wizardry or Elminage; you have to decide what to take with you and what to take back into town so managing your inventory becomes just as important as managing every other resource.

You never know when you might get party-wiped along the way and even the act of "looting" itself carries many dangers in the form of trapped chests and other annihilating factors. This keeps tension and player psychology always engaged, and the player never thinks that acquiring new items is trivial.

To this day almost no other RPG has managed to replicate these elements.

Sloul

Savant
Perfect:
Marauder: Man of Prey

[Edit]Neo Scavenger

Close to perfect:
Outward.

Last edited:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Dunno about right, but just played Deus Ex: Human Revolution and I think the devs should have their balls nailed to a block of wood within the jaws of a vice, and then have it tightened Joe Pesci style for what they did there.

Inventory was so bad that it alone convinved me never to replay that game. Although there is a mod that makes everything 1 square in dimension. But it was such a shit game for other reasons, I still wouldn't play it more than once.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I liked the inventory in Arcanum.

Dunno if it got it ”completely right”, though.

Xeon

Augur
I think I liked the modded inventory from Skyrim the most, you can sort it anyway you like and it has a search function, pretty great.

If the game doesn't have survival elements then I don't want to deal with encumbrance or space limitations crap, there are no challenges for just limiting the inventory just because.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom