Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Disco Elysium spoilery thread

Elex

Arbiter
You are conflating two different things here. The Claires got the sniper to kill the previous head of the union. There is no reason to believe that they ordered the mercenary's death.
except that the two fat communist that love money and manipulate everyone are the ones benefitting from the murder.

They didn’t order the hit and the old commy hasn’t worked for them in years. Try interrogating him again.
because the crypto is the one mind controlling him for the two fat.

Zariusz

Arbiter
Is there a chance that we are sometimes talking to Edgar instead of Evrart? Everytime i went to his lair i had feeling that he is trolling me.

imagine standing bent over into evrart's seated mass and throating his phat chodester while edgar's virile cockster turns your funhole into a creamy communist cummyland

Niareh

Barely Literate
Is there a chance that we are sometimes talking to Edgar instead of Evrart? Everytime i went to his lair i had feeling that he is trolling me.
I think one of the checks/dialogue suggested that the other brother is abroad researching things or something to that effect. One of your thoughts then says that Edgar is far more formidable as compared to Evrart. But to be fair, I am still not sure if Joyce's suggestion that this is just a ruse to avoid term limits isn't true.

skaraher

Cipher
Well, there is also the possibility the two brothers are in truth only one person, and Du Claire puts up the act so he can stay president of the Union for life without stepping down in favor of other candidates. I think on some encounters you can spot his lazy eye while it's supposed to be his "brother" defining physical trait.

Also yes, fully exhausting Deserter's dialogue tree kinda proved they hadn't ordered the killing of "Lely", they used him to take control of the Union 20 years ago but then left him to his own devices. Except... when Joyce leaves, Du Claire mentions he has agents fare more competent, sneaky and deadly than the Hardies lurking about the port. So this question is left rather open, considering the mind of the island man is a broken mess too.

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
Thanks - That Asian guy who accompanies me implies shaving was a mistake, but he doesn't complete his thoughts. Never tried removing the grin as it never rose above 3% based on the way I set up my char. Maybe next time!
I kept the grin all throughout my first playthrough as a Superstar Cop. At the beginning of my second playthrough, even with 6 physique (and +1 electrochemistry from the Flare-cut Trousers) I still only had an 8% (3/36) chance to pass the Impossible electrochemistry check for removing the grin --- but I succeeded on the first try.

:dance::M+M:M:dance:

I think shaving while keeping the expression makes you look like a fucking serial killer. Removing the expression *and* shaving produces the most mature look IMO. Interesting lesson: the easy bandaid solution might not have the best results while your fundamentals are still fucked.

skaraher

Cipher
Looking over the internet, it seems it's impossible to get an ending where Kim DOESN'T stand up for you in the end and you end up fired from the police force. Even when playing a total fuckup who is taking every bad decisions and didn't get the Communist to confess. Shame...

Regarding voices in the head, Rhetoric too had very good insights, unlike those morons Suggestion, Drama and Eletrochemistry

Also, random thoughts but the moment near the end when you offer Titus to join the police force after gaining his respect felt very satisfying.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Looking over the internet, it seems it's impossible to get an ending where Kim DOESN'T stand up for you in the end and you end up fired from the police force. Even when playing a total fuckup who is taking every bad decisions and didn't get the Communist to confess. Shame...
Can someone confirm or deny this, because that's major decline if it's true.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
So after waiting a bit after beating the game I have to say that the gameplay part is a little lacking, both in RPG and adventure parts.
-As far as RPGs goes the problem is that all skills are very samey. You pump them up to get better odds at the diceroll game to win more clues/exp/money/clothes. The entire gameplay revolves around getting better dice modification for the dice game. Also all the skills are passive, you roll when the game tells you to roll. This is different from a standard RPG where you can decide to attempt to steal from any NPC, sneak whenever you want or attack someone. As such there is no "character building" aspect, when you start to understand the game mechanics and as a result decide what benefits you need and how to develop your character further. You just pick what you feel you should be good at and put points in it, or (more often) pick a roll you really want to make and start rising it until you have good chances of passing it. An interesting thing is that unlinke most other RPGs here it's beneficial to try to boost the areas where you are the weakest.
From what I've played I noticed 3 skills that stood out: volition/endurance (which raise your HP pools) and electrochemistry (which comes with a promise of finding more drugs). I think that other skills should take the cue and each should also offer some benefits in addition to being useful for the may rolls, or there should at least be some indication what can you gain by raising that skill. For example having a high reaction speed may passively allow you to avoid physical damage, thus letting you make a character who can often get into physical fight without relying on high health.
-The adventure game part is not very challenging IMO. You just walk around, click on everything that's highlighter and still progress the game. You can actually solve the case and get the best results without understanding what's actually going on. Just make sure that you can pass the rolls when they come, no need to worry about reading all the text. Adding some Ace Attorney-like sequences where you have to select a right evidence at the right time to show that you deduced what's going on would improve the game massively. The skills that are already in the game as well as the HP/morale system would support those. Since both adventure and RPG elements are so simplistic the game might be even more causal than some of the mainstream games the Codex loathes.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Kim can’t stand up for you if he gets shot. You absolutely can get fired from the police force.

Utgard-Loki

Arcane
GCkNiQ7.jpg

you're alright too, kim. for a homo kipt.

Elex

Arbiter
Well, there is also the possibility the two brothers are in truth only one person, and Du Claire puts up the act so he can stay president of the Union for life without stepping down in favor of other candidates. I think on some encounters you can spot his lazy eye while it's supposed to be his "brother" defining physical trait.

Also yes, fully exhausting Deserter's dialogue tree kinda proved they hadn't ordered the killing of "Lely", they used him to take control of the Union 20 years ago but then left him to his own devices. Except... when Joyce leaves, Du Claire mentions he has agents fare more competent, sneaky and deadly than the Hardies lurking about the port. So this question is left rather open, considering the mind of the island man is a broken mess too.
they see all they know all, and they can tell you who is the murder but they don’t.
how convenient the old commy only have one bullet left?(and hit a perfect shot in that phisical/mental condition with that rifle).
also a drunk super soldier veteran sniper with top gear can’t kill a hobocop pointblank because because overcompensate the shot but the almost dead 80 year old can aim perfectly?

Last edited:

vota DC

Augur
One is lethally wounded because shot in face. The other hits you unless you for some reasons go in Matrix mode and dodge the bullet.
Also I guess that in a world where almost forces has pew pew the super gear make soldiers lazy and overconfident.

Zariusz

Arbiter
ykVGHzYt_b5sK90QgaEqi30vk_iNwj1lwzVG6sJiUYI.jpg

Could this be map of Disco Elysium if Zaum had more money, time etc?
Imagine, whole Disco could be just first act of this game, i try to imagine it but its too painfull.
Now i kinda want to meet my own ancient reptilian brain and limbic system.

skaraher

Cipher

Kim can’t stand up for you if he gets shot. You absolutely can get fired from the police force.

Do you have some playthrough to back it ? Would be really interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/e34m2b/major_spoilers_testing_out_if_there_is_a_time/
https://www.reddit.com/r/DiscoElysium/comments/dzoqlq/major_spoilers_just_finished_my_second/

Folks over at reddit tried to achieve the bad ending without much success.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Also is Kim oversensitive regarding racism? He points out that the racist guy saying "Welcome to Revachol" actually wants to make him feel unwelcome, but he says the same thing even if you approach him without Kim. Is the racist guy actually acting racist from the get-go or did Kim snap for no reason at a guy who just happened to be racist. Was the conversation included only to make fun of NPCs greeting player with "welcome to X" line even though it feels completely unnatural in a casual conversation?

hello friend

Arcane
He does seem to have a little chip on his shoulder there. He gets low key pissed off at you for not throwing a tantrum over it even though it would probably derail the conversation to do so, and we're here doing police work after all.

Tigranes

Arcane
Yes, Kim's a little pained about it, probably because he's got a lot of bad memories and experiences. If you've gone through years of everyone at school calling you a gay ass cocksucker, then someone comes along complimenting your pink shirt, maybe you snap back.

I like it because it gives the situation many ways to go - you can imagine the player taking Kim's side, telling Kim to stop being a soreass, or other variations besides.

Buster

Novice
Looking over the internet, it seems it's impossible to get an ending where Kim DOESN'T stand up for you in the end and you end up fired from the police force.

I was... disappointed that a lot of things I thought possible didn't really appear to be part of the game on my second playthrough. A lot of smoke & mirrors, tricks you into thinking the game is more than it is methinks. I still enjoyed it, but I'm not going to finish it more than once.

skaraher

Cipher
Also is Kim oversensitive regarding racism? He points out that the racist guy saying "Welcome to Revachol" actually wants to make him feel unwelcome, but he says the same thing even if you approach him without Kim. Is the racist guy actually acting racist from the get-go or did Kim snap for no reason at a guy who just happened to be racist. Was the conversation included only to make fun of NPCs greeting player with "welcome to X" line even though it feels completely unnatural in a casual conversation?

Welcome to Revachol is explicitly the in-universe Fascist rallying cry, several characters uses it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom