Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Grand Strategy Imperator: Rome - the new grand strategy from Paradox

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine
Is it still alive? Those pesky Swedes are persistent, I give them that.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
It's going to be exactly like Stellaris with endless reworking of systems without improving anything.

Hate to quote myself but...

I disagree, Stellaris is clearly better than before. Althrough I would agree its a deeply incomplete game at its core. They should have really given it another year of development. I never saw a game get revamped so hard. I started playing it with the Apocalypse expansion, so from what I heard, 1.0 Stellaris is a total different beast from Stellaris 2.0.

The problem is that its not better enough.

The biggest issue of the game, leaving incompleteness aside, is the tech debt. We all know how Stellaris is fucked up, performance/code-base wise.

Imperator, on the other hand... As I said before, the problem is the game's inherent design. Paradox needs to pull a rabbit out of their hat for this to become good.
What stellaris doesn't have is campaign like game play,a premade map with different empires and such. If you play a single game in stellaris,you had seen everything that the game have the offer,all the games are identical.

IDtenT

Menace to sobriety!
Patron
South Africa; My pronouns are: Banal/Shit/Boring
Divinity: Original Sin
It's going to be exactly like Stellaris with endless reworking of systems without improving anything.

I disagree, Stellaris is clearly better than before. Althrough I would agree its a deeply incomplete game at its core. They should have really given it another year of development. I never saw a game get revamped so hard. I started playing it with the Apocalypse expansion, so from what I heard, 1.0 Stellaris is a total different beast from Stellaris 2.0.

The biggest issue of the game, leaving incompleteness aside, is the tech debt. We all know how Stellaris is fucked up, performance/code-base wise.

Imperator, on the other hand... As I said before, the problem is the game's inherent design. Paradox needs to pull a rabbit out of their hat for this to become good.
What stellaris doesn't have is campaign like game play,a premade map with different empires and such. If you play a single game in stellaris,you had seen everything that the game have the offer,all the games are identical.
But that's just 4X.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I like the changes they made to Imperator. Although It still feels like a ruff draft.

I think The Brazilian Slaughter is right about this. They really need to make the game a bit unique, if not it will end up like its predecessor (EU:ROME +VV).

I will give the game an other try today when the free update releases. Paradox are greedy protestants but they still listen to the community.

Preben

Arcane
Patron
Glory to Ukraine

Stellaris would actually be a pretty decent game if it was playable on a home computer.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Lol, "updating" Stellaris brought stripping away different means of travel, chokepoints in space, "swedish cuck combat bonus" for smaller fleets etc. Not to mention the changes to pop/job system is the thing that makes the game unplayable in the first place. So yeah...

That's not the worst thing though. The worst thing is that it's painfully clear that they're making a game without having an idea of what game they want to make.

Last edited:

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Lol, "updating" Stellaris brought stripping away different means of travel, chokepoints in space, "swedish cuck combat bonus" for smaller fleets etc. Not to mention the changes to pop/job system is the thing that makes the game unplayable in the first play. So yeah...
Especially as the entire choke point retardation came from equally retarded stubbornness to not include supply range, which in turn could have solved several 1.0 problems, like the lack of front lines, with trivial circle equations.

thesecret1

Arcane
from what I heard, 1.0 Stellaris is a total different beast from Stellaris 2.0.
I played it on release. It's basically an entirely different game now. In some ways it's better, in some ways it's worse, but once again, chief target of Paradox seems not to be fixing the performance or mechanics, but content bloat (which doesn't mean that the game isn't lacking in terms of content, just that they like chucking disparate chunks of completely modular and disconnected content out for the purposes of marketing and milking)

Fishy

Savant

That's because their galactic generation is somewhere between low effort and utterly shit. Take CK2, EU4, heck even HoI4, and the world has a past. The map has been shaped by centuries of conflicts, influences, moving borders, migrations, alliances, etc. States have different sizes, power, economies, alliances that are consequences of that past. Some are old, some are new, some are in-between. The state of the world is not a blank slate with nations thrown there for no reason, which is what Stellaris gives you: a galaxy with a couple "Fallen Empires" and a bunch of civilisations all starting the space-faring age at the exact same time, with nobody ever in contact with anyone else. From a roleplay or world building point of view, it's shit and boring. From a strategic/diplomatic point of view, it's even worse.

Of course, that's what all 4X games do. But Stellaris styled itself like being so much above that and "grand strategy" and roleplay and whatnot. Well, it's more whatnot than anything else, sadly. And I could even give a pass to Paradox is Dwarf Fortress wasn't a thing, but it is. Just look at DF for what world building means. Before you even start playing, the game simulates an entire world through eras, wars, migrations, cities rising, empires falling, heroes becoming legends and songs. The world has a past, it has a life, things have been shaped by that past, and it explains the present. That's the charm Stellaris's blank slate galaxy doesn't have. There's no point looking into the galaxy's past, no point in analysing relationships, alliances, families. There's no option to pick from that galaxy and play the exhausted superpower, the dynamic upstart or the threatened trade network. You're one of the many new factions starting on the same exact footing at the same time. It's just a 4X by the numbers, without even the one feature that at least gave it a bit of flavour: FTL asymmetry.

It's ok as is, I'd even go as far as calling it a better 'game' than 1.0 and I still play a game every now and then, but it's modern Paradox in a nutshell. Throw shit at a paid empty shell and see what sticks. No vision, no artistic integrity. It's nowhere near the bigger/prettier Distant Worlds it was looking like it could become.

To get back on topic, it's just amazing that they could fuck up Imperator like this when it covers such an amazingly rich time period... Yet, here they are, in the throwing shit phase. Not much seems to stick this time round though...

thesecret1

Arcane
That's because their galactic generation is somewhere between low effort and utterly shit. Take CK2, EU4, heck even HoI4, and the world has a past. The map has been shaped by centuries of conflicts, influences, moving borders, migrations, alliances, etc. States have different sizes, power, economies, alliances that are consequences of that past. Some are old, some are new, some are in-between. The state of the world is not a blank slate with nations thrown there for no reason, which is what Stellaris gives you: a galaxy with a couple "Fallen Empires" and a bunch of civilisations all starting the space-faring age at the exact same time, with nobody ever in contact with anyone else. From a roleplay or world building point of view, it's shit and boring. From a strategic/diplomatic point of view, it's even worse.
Yep. Having a pre-filled map with a past is an integral part of any grand strategy game – assymetry is essential to the genre. You don't have that here beyond the half-hearted attempt at fallen empires (what a missed fucking opportunity. Why the hell can't you play as a fallen empire, with the game being centered on playing tall instead of wide? Rebuild wrecked stuff everywhere, gradually solve internal conflicts and rouse your species from decadent stupor while using your mighty army to raid the younger species for resources to pull all this shit off, all the while in a race against time, knowing that once the younger species achieve a certain level of technological competence, they'll overpower and destroy you through sheer numbers. THAT would be a fun thing to play as.). Even though they included some roleplaying tools like the ethos and all, the main goddamn thing isn't there. Your roleplaying options are incredibly limited by the fact that you always start the same as do others.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Yep. Having a pre-filled map with a past is an integral part of any grand strategy game – assymetry is essential to the genre. You don't have that here beyond the half-hearted attempt at fallen empires (what a missed fucking opportunity. Why the hell can't you play as a fallen empire, with the game being centered on playing tall instead of wide? Rebuild wrecked stuff everywhere, gradually solve internal conflicts and rouse your species from decadent stupor while using your mighty army to raid the younger species for resources to pull all this shit off, all the while in a race against time, knowing that once the younger species achieve a certain level of technological competence, they'll overpower and destroy you through sheer numbers. THAT would be a fun thing to play as.). Even though they included some roleplaying tools like the ethos and all, the main goddamn thing isn't there. Your roleplaying options are incredibly limited by the fact that you always start the same as do others.

It is an opportunity for many future DLCs.

I'm playing Rome TW II (bought during recent Steam sale) and the DEI mod. I see no need for any Paradox cuck shit. A big part of the appeal of Rome to me is the personal combat and "manliness" of the era. having stupid months-long battles and painting the map is no comparison to actrual battles in which formations, morale, weaponry, and most importantly tactics all come into play. Even the politics and diplomacy in TWRII:DEI are miles better than any Paradox game other than CKII. Imperator Rome can eat a bag of phalli. This whole topic should be deleted and searches redirected towards TWRII:DEI.

Also, Stellaris should have been named Sterilis on account of how bland it is.

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
I'm playing Rome TW II (bought during recent Steam sale) and the DEI mod. I see no need for any Paradox cuck shit. A big part of the appeal of Rome to me is the personal combat and "manliness" of the era. having stupid months-long battles and painting the map is no comparison to actrual battles in which formations, morale, weaponry, and most importantly tactics all come into play. Even the politics and diplomacy in TWRII:DEI are miles better than any Paradox game other than CKII. Imperator Rome can eat a bag of phalli. This whole topic should be deleted and searches redirected towards TWRII:DEI.

I agree RTW2 with the DEI mod is a great experience but the overall strategy and management is really simplified.

D41DC15703F3AE00C6D295A7307DE8FB7B461082

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1797024425

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The fuck is that shit? The last thing Imperator needs is more generic tribes lol. The game is boring as it is,adding more boring shit won't make it better.

thesecret1

Arcane
There's so many tiny areas there now that each must represent a single small hamlet :lol: The one thing Imperator does not need is more provinces

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
Another one of those overly ambitious conversions that will lead nowhere.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom