Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
Btw I love how Chris hopes that not talking about it at all will make the SQ42 Problem magically go away.
You know December is the month they focus on SQ42 announcements, right? Citizencon is exclusively focused on Star Citizen.

Reality:

Citizen Con 2015: Squadron 42 Behind the scenes
Citizen Con 2016: Squadron 42 Status update
Citizen Con 2017: No concrete info on SQ42, but announcement that they will present it on the Holiday Livestream (which they did)
Citizen Con 2018: Squadron 42 cinematic trailer, no December Holiday stream at all
Citizen Con 2019: Not a single word on SQ42, December holiday stream hasn't been even announced or mentioned as of today

SC Cultists:

Citizen Con is always reserved for the Persistent Universe only, it‘s totally normal they didn’t mention SQ42 at all, they always show it in December on the holiday livestream

Last edited:

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They are using Quantum Mechanics to simulate economy of SC. Probability waves, superposition of states, collapsing wave function etc.

Tony Z presentation

facepalm.png
WTF do they give these people drugs or what?

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
They are using Quantum Mechanics to simulate economy of SC. Probability waves, superposition of states, collapsing wave function etc.

Tony Z presentation

Bullshit, you don't need quantum mechanics to simulate the economy of a game that supports a maximum of 5 ships on screen at same time.

SC Cultists:

Citizen Con is always reserved for the Persistent Universe only, it‘s totally normal they didn’t mention SQ42 at all,

Lol are they still pretending SQ42 is being developed.

But looking at some of the (heavily scripted) "gameplay" demos of Star Citizen, like the one where a storm blows off a part of a ship as if that is dynamic and not scripted really makes me wish for the game we will never get-where you could end up on a planet with extreme weather and a damaged ship and have to fight the local fauna to survive and explore the area for materials to repair your ship/send a distress call. A man can dream, though.

Last edited:

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

Tony Z presentation

Bullshit, you don't need quantum mechanics to simulate the economy of a game that supports a maximum of 5 ships on screen at same time.

SC Cultists:

Citizen Con is always reserved for the Persistent Universe only, it‘s totally normal they didn’t mention SQ42 at all,

Lol are they still pretending SQ42 is being developed.

But looking at some of the (heavily scripted) "gameplay" demos of Star Citizen, like the one where a storm blows off a part of a ship as if that is dynamic and not scripted really makes me wish for the game we will never get-where you could end up on a planet with extreme weather and a damaged ship and have to fight the local fauna to survive and explore the area for materials to repair your ship/send a distress call. A man can dream, though.
Space Subnautica?

Perkel

Arcane
Finished watching full presentation.

- looks like they are ramping up content production. Arc-corp took more than 2-3 years to finish but they will be releasing their second huge planet with whole city on it mid decemeber. Moons of that planet will go live a bit later.

- jumpgates and travel via them

- they presented their second system after Stanton, Pyro. No ETA but probably next year after they finish moons of Mediatech

- they plan to finally finish server meshing by the end of 2020, previously there wasn't ETA on server meshing. Server meshing is tech that they need for huge amount of players on screen. Currently they are working in small instances like Elite.
- each planet also will be updated to their V4 tech with december update. V4 is final tech for planets they don't plan more reworks. V4 vs V3 allows for complete 1:1 land being from space the same as on ground.
- full global persistence is now a goal. "If you drop a cup on planet or asteroid somewhere it should be there when you go back", persistence will be in next update in december for players but full global persistence is something for next year.

Perkel

Arcane
Their planetary tech V4 is neat and presentation is well worth watching.

Basically:

V1 - completely procedural artist had 0 way to modify output other than redoing planet all over again and changing some parameters (something like Space Engine). Worked well for selenas (moon like planets without atmosphere) where whole body was effectively the same all over the planet. Planet had global texture from space and several level of LODs. This meant that if you saw something from space you could get closer but texture could fool you into thinking that something was there.

V2 - procedural with artist input. Same as above but they gave ability to artist to modify terrain, create templates for grounds so they could put objects on ground depending on elevation etc this is what they used in early missions demos. They could effectively make sand planet and made it interesting for mission purposes.

V3 - gave ability for planet to have different biomes. So one planet could have one part of planet which was scrapyard, other part which was desert and other one which was megacity each looking completely different.

V4 - it is much more procedural in response to problems caused by biomes introduction, basically each planet with different biomes started to get hard to work with as each planet could have 500 files and if some artists had to change mood of planet, color scheme etc, they had to rework every texture etc. Secondly biomes didn't mesh well without significant artist efforts. So now each planet is ruled by humidity and temperature and whole planet much like in dwarf fortress is offline simulated for rivers generations, erosion etc etc etc. Cliff generation, caves, ocean/river generation everything follow simulation model and artists don't need to spend time working with planet and they can just do work on their object etc. They don't need to car about different biomes meshing because it is all taken account into simulation, so High mountains gradually turn into hills, which then turn into lowlands which so on and so forth. Other huge problem was that previously planets used global and local textures. So if you saw something from space you could head there and something different could be there. with V4 what you see is what you get and planet texture is generated based on ground itself. So if there will be forests you won't see dirt but green like on earth.

Look, we're getting dangerously close to having some positivity about Star Citizen so it's time to bring it all down.

You don't understand,
Cloud Imperium Games division is finished, they only have $240,000,000 left in tax rebate and won't last 90 days top, their loan with Crytek force them to exclusively fake Sq42 & SC on Space Citizen 32bits engine owned by Crytek to improve cryengine because they couldn't afford the TOTALLY FREE Unreal Engine 4 5% fee, Crytek sued Crobert because he stole Cryengine engine code to use on Lumberyard. They even sold out 10% shares to a marketing company only motivated with selling the game.

The playable demo is so fake it's generated by computers,
Players can only lumber on a few tiny 7x7Mm spherical alpines ground-maps in rover. Pushing the flight-ready button just start the prerendered cinematic take-off QTE animated script, you can tell how railroaded it is when the tester veer the Capital Sip outside the invisible intangible flight corridor wall and move out of the fake snowstorm hiding the fake company-town2 snow-edition over the planet/company-town as shuttle, factories, landfill, mines and vegetation scroll below you,

Without a HDD drive it take forever for the game to go through the interactive loading-screen quantum-drive cut-scene and reach any part of the tiny star system sized map then go into to a "jump point" (lol, more like space waterslide) and then surprise nebula. Proof they can't even do loadingscreen right.

It's just like the full 1.0 release of Squadron42 mission-disk vertical cut and its volumetric smoke and mirror trick to hide the blatant traversable 3D nebula skybox.

The ALWAYS ONLINE alpha 3.7 barely have basic gameplay loop like space battle, coop mission with FPS fight against NPC, exploration of inhabitable planets, trading, mining... stuff every $300M AAA space sim can do! It's not even seamless cause they transfer all 70 players fleet from server to server without them noticing!

Wake up! You can trust (((me))) I copypaste my info without checking from 10bux cult who leaked it from CIG secret GameCons panels!

Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't wait for CR to declare the game complete, pay himself, the missus, his brother, and rest of family massive bonuses for job well done, and then sod off to some nice warm place without extradition to US or UK. And then announce the persistence universe is going to shut down because of Derek Smart.

RRRrrr

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I can't wait for CR to declare the game complete, pay himself, the missus, his brother, and rest of family massive bonuses for job well done, and then sod off to some nice warm place without extradition to US or UK. And then announce the persistence universe is going to shut down because of Derek Smart.

He's not in any legal danger even if he remained in the US/UK. It's not illegal to take donations from morons and no reasonable person would interpret his unrealistic promises as legally binding.

Chunkyman

Augur
To be honest the weather effects look outstanding, plus the fact they're making it reactive with the warmth of your windscreens is even cooler.

Perkel

Arcane
wait.... what? what does internet speed has to do with FPS?

Server dictates what happens on screen which causes frequent hickups and slowdowns, due to how they work basically right now there is ton of stuff on screen that should not be rendered that player can't see either way, how places load etc. It is very crude which impacts FPS a lot as player travels from one instance into other in one server or more. So the worse connection and the further servers are the worse it is.

AN4RCHID

Arcane
Funding officially hit a quarter Billion dollars, 2019 is already the best year for funding yet :incline:
Are they counting loans in this number?
I don't think so. Their big venture capital investment of $46 million was last year and they didn't seem to count that in their funding counter. Their biggest month of this year (and ever) was November around the annual sale and Citizencon

nDNVmWJ.png

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
I don't think so. Their big venture capital investment of $46 million was last year and they didn't seem to count that in their funding counter. Their biggest month of this year (and ever) was November around the annual sale and Citizencon

nDNVmWJ.png

Just..wow. If I were them, I too would never release this game :lol:
If it is actually true. It is just a colourful graff the could be made in paint lol. Saying that you make a lot of money and making a lot of money are two different things,unless there is actual accounting documents put out. It could be tactic to keep the whales calm that the company is not going under.

Perkel

Arcane
Just..wow. If I were them, I too would never release this game :lol:

If they will release SQ42 they will get fat stacks of money and if they will release 1.0 of SC they will get even bigger fat stacks of money in addition to already what they are making.
Makes no sense to be in perpetual development.

One thing positive from it is that if you shoot for the moon there will be people who will want that.
Also i seriously think that vien diagram of people who play SC will be very similar to people who play flight simulators.

Those guys can literally spend $10k on those games.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom