Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter ATOM RPG - Wasteland Soviet style! - now with Dead City update

Will you back?

• I will consider it!

Votes: 39 54.9%
  • No! I would never!..

Votes: 9 12.7%
  • kingcomrade

Votes: 23 32.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Hey lads, ironically I couldn't reply sooner because I was working as head of marketing these last few weeks. Turns out we have been sending news and teaser trailers to some very interesting places. But enough about that! Let's do some replies!

Pictured:

Atomboy & friend waiting for Steam approval.
LOL! Thanks for reminding me. The truth is I don't know how to use Steam very well, I got it just to moderate the forums, and there are tons of sections and buttons and an app you have to install, and I still don't know for example how you PM people on this thing. But all friends are now accepted!
Can't wait to see some gameplay! I have been more excited for Atom Trudograd than any other game this year.
I think we will conjure up some gameplay trailers in 2019, but the whole game will only be available in early 2020.
was this supposed to be a post-game DLC?
Yeah, some days I hope it would stay like this. But now it's bigger.
release of expac imminent?
Not too imminent!
"Early 2020", most likely.
Yes!
not even a vote for us on steam post, Atomboy where are thou?
Sorry, do you mean that nominate a steam game for GOTY thing? Like I said to Alienman I'm terrible at steam. Are we supposed to promote that vote thing? Or are you talking about something else entirely? I am here.... now.
They seriously named the expansion "Turd Grade"?
I didn't see it! I didn't see the word turd in it, until the naming was final! :----O
Can't wait to see some gameplay! I have been more excited for Atom Trudograd than any other game this year.

Its the only game I am excited for Comrade aside from the Colony Ship.
Thank you!
frozen state might scratch your itch for a game that has a similar aesthetic until trudograd is out. it's a survival crpg with a art style that's basically best described as 'john carpenter's the thing, but set in a dieselpunk USSR'

it's one of my favorite low-budget games of all time, but it may not click with you - or it might
It's good!
to kill cthulu i need to go full eryfkrad and bash his skull with the prehistoric stone knife?
Yeah, the knife has extra dam, and you grow your dex with port wine, sweetrolls, and stuff like that.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer
Atomboy while you're here, will the game work okay on my shitty laptop (6GB RAM/1 GB video)?
I wanna say yes, since even potatos run Atom, but it depends not as much on the quality, as on the brand of your video card. We still have certain members of the old ATI and INTEL HD Graphics families that are powerful enough to run the game in theory, but crash in practice. Although usually updating drivers does nothing because drivers are just bloatware, in Atom's case, destroying your current drivers and freshly installing the most latestest ones does the charm, so you can try it if at first it acts badly for you. Unity hates outdated drivers and certain video cards unfortunately. But I think it will work regardless. It works on my 8 gb ram 1 gb intel hd 4000 series on Medium with 30 fps. You should also set quality to medium, turn off HBAO+, and stuff like that.

If there are problems, support@atomrpg.com is always open for crash logs!

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Atomboy while you're here, will the game work okay on my shitty laptop (6GB RAM/1 GB video)?
I wanna say yes, since even potatos run Atom, but it depends not as much on the quality, as on the brand of your video card. We still have certain members of the old ATI and INTEL HD Graphics families that are powerful enough to run the game in theory, but crash in practice. Although usually updating drivers does nothing because drivers are just bloatware, in Atom's case, destroying your current drivers and freshly installing the most latestest ones does the charm, so you can try it if at first it acts badly for you. Unity hates outdated drivers and certain video cards unfortunately. But I think it will work regardless. It works on my 8 gb ram 1 gb intel hd 4000 series on Medium with 30 fps. You should also set quality to medium, turn off HBAO+, and stuff like that.

its AMD Radeon
thanks, I'll try it. Was very intrigued by bataille analysis of the game somewhere above.

Atomboy

Atom Team
Developer

its AMD Radeon
thanks, I'll try it. Was very intrigued by bataille analysis of the game somewhere above.
I really hope it goes well and thank you for supporting us! https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11080 here's that text in it's review form. I love it! The Darger analogy is painfully true...

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron

its AMD Radeon
I really hope it goes well and thank you for supporting us! https://rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=11080 here's that text in it's review form. I love it! The Darger analogy is painfully true...

Wow didn't know it was in the reviews. Many thanks.

Sagez

Novice
Hi Atomboy,

two weeks ago I wrote a lenghty review of ATOM RPG on wykop.pl (let's say it's Polish reddit) and it was a very favourable one. There are many aspects of your game that I really admire, but I would also like to write about few things I didn't like. It's mostly really minor things, but I'd love to see your opinion.

- Human opponents are done better than animal/mutant opponents and they are more interesting. ATOM RPG lacks a well done mutant enemy. Deathclaws in Fallout 1 were really well done, you heard stories about them before you met them, there was a well done build up, when you actually meet them you quickly learn how fast they are, how hard they hit and how they can easily knock you down. They even can tear through power armor! Awesome. This is monster done right. In ATOM, Morlocks are ok (I don't like the name) but they are in only one place and they have no story attached to them as far as I know. Let's take a look at Leshy. It's rare, it seems powerful - only seems, sadly. Why are there gorillas at all? Did they escape a zoo when war broke out? What's their story? Etc. It's not a player job to explain the world, to present it in a meaningful way, it's developers job I think. Right now a gorilla just appears and it's easy to kill it and it drops nothing of real value. So I just wanted to say that ATOM lacks it's version of deathclaw, it lacks an iconic enemy. If my advise means anything, you should make Leshy much stronger, it could give even 500 xp and make it drop something. Survival skill would be better as well if it would allow the player to harvest monster's body parts if his skill is high enough (like 100 for Leshy, 120 for Morlocks). Btw, are there any Survival skill checks in the game? Maybe make Survival affect better positioning at the start of the combat?

- It's minor thing, but I didn't like that wolves (alpha and such) were stronger than bears. Single wolf had 100 hp (was it 105? hmm). Don't get me wrong, a wolf pack probably is more dangerous than a bear, but a single bear would easily kill a wolf, so wolf should not have more hp than bear has.

- Mountain Pass of Woe seems underdeveloped overall. Maybe put some overpowered bears there? It did bother me a little when I could ask my companions about the part of wasteland we're in, and they would always say about Central Wasteland. Mhm, so I understand that MPoW, Dead City, forests near Fogelevka and eastern wastes are all Central Wasteland? I kept asking them, hoping for another answer, but they don't care if they are near Krasno or in Dead City, heh. Why were we given the opportunity to ask then?

- This game really encourages grind. Was it your intention that most players end the game before 20 level?

- Companions starting skills should be raised to more reasonable levels. I mean skills like Melee, Pistols and SMG and Stealth could be at 60 minimum. Alexander may not be the best soldier, I get it, but with his INT stat it's really hard to make him better. With 80 points in Stealth and Unarmed he would be way better.

- Last thing is my feeling that the game could use 1 or 2 more locations, especially east of Red Fighter. I was very interested in the ''Red Slavers'' with budyonowkas, they are cool and powerful, but as far as I know we can't really learn much about them. They could've been another faction I think. Any chance you could add their awesome duster armor and red star hat to the game in the future?

I really, really like ATOM RPG and I wish you guys best of luck in the future. I hope that after Trudograd is finished you will release some of it's new content for ATOM (how's that called? retroupdate?), although I understand that ATOM probably made all the money it could already and from business point of view it's more profitable for you to release new games instead of developing an old one further. I'm sure I would give ATOM 10/10 if you would improve it further, but I understand that you probably must move on.
Thank you!

Last edited:

Technomancer

Liturgist
- Last thing is my feeling that the game could use 1 or 2 more locations, especially east of Red Fighter.
They promised to add a coal mine location exactly in thar area but they quietly cut it later. I assume it was because they worked the Dead City and Atom 2 instead. Any insight on why it was cut Atomboy?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom