Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Atlus Persona 5

Hassar

Scholar

That bit about playing as all the members of the Phantom Thieves makes me wonder if you'll be able to set what everyone does during the time management section of the game...that is if this does have that from the normal Persona games, and that bit where they're all eating together looks like it's there at least.

Being able to set what everyone does as opposed to just Joker was something I definitely wished normal Persona 5 did.

I might be more into the series if it branched out to allow you to pick your POV character.

Though I don’t like the anime style they used and think something like “Wicked City” would be better suited to the series overall. Admittedly, the Persona series is more pop oriented than SMT.

GarlandExCon

Arcane
CompassionateLateHorseshoebat-small.gif

Vorark

Erudite
inb4 Sega/Atlus release the vanilla version on PC, in a similar fashion Catherine.

Terra

Cipher
Fairly sure we'll soon get to the point where Sega will just make Atlus hand over the source code upon project completion for an outside studio to port regardless of their feelings on the matter. It's insanity to just leave money on the table given how many jrpgs have been making the jump in recent years.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I've replayed Persona 3 once, but I don't feel to replay any Persona. Maybe the second game. It was the coolest of the bunch.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Fairly sure we'll soon get to the point where Sega will just make Atlus hand over the source code upon project completion for an outside studio to port regardless of their feelings on the matter. It's insanity to just leave money on the table given how many jrpgs have been making the jump in recent years.
Considering they have been doing their own thing for years i doubt Sega has any power over them whatsoever.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
So this year I ended up playing and finishing several Atlus games: Dragon's Crown, Shin Megumi Tensei: Nocturne, and Persona 5. I'm saying goodbye to my PS3 and shoved some RPG gaming through when I hung out by myself and Guitar Hero/Band Hero when I had friends over. I hadn't heard of Atlus before 2019, but it seems to be a really cool company and I'm glad it exists.

Anyway, I literally finished Persona 5 last night and here are some thoughts on this JRPG/dating sim:

+/- The combat was both a positive and a negative in comparison to Nocturne. Persona 5 has a party of heroes, which I do prefer over playing a single player character. There's also a ton more stuff you can do, from ambushing monsters, to using guns, to hold ups, and so on. This makes combat a lot more fun, but it also makes it too easy. Nocturne was much more challenging, while Persona 5 leaves you with so many options.
+ I really liked the characters. Generally I put combat over story, but enjoying the script can aid in enjoying a game. The villains were over the top and cookie cutter, but the banter between your allies can be a lot of fun.
- The story had a so many plotholes. I had to turn my brain off a few times and tell myself to just enjoy the ride. On the other hand, there are small moments that really stood out, such as with Igor at the end of the game or with Yusuke when he goes to a Christian church for art inspiration.
+ Romancing waifus. Well-played Atlus. Well-played.
+ Capturing and fusing personas never got old in any iteration of the Shin Megumi Tensei or Persona games. I have a mobile SMT game that I like to take out every so often just for the capture and fusion aspect of the game. Now I see why Pokemon must be so addictive to people.
+ The game is as long as Nocturne, but I never felt that it dragged like Nocturne. A lot of people put Nocturne over Persona 5, but I wonder if they are wearing nostalgia goggles. The amount of grinding and random encounters in Nocturne was excessive and many of the dungeons just dragged. I never felt like I had to grind in Persona 5 and I thought the palaces were well-designed. Towards the end of Nocturne I found myself casting magic that let me avoid random encounters. In Persona 5 I enjoyed the game mechanic of sneaking by them instead and if I screwed it up there were consequences.
- Towards the final third of the game battles seemed to be won (or at least won quickly vs being dragged out) if you were able to ambush the enemy and then if you hit the enemy in its weakness. That aspect of combat really got stale up until the end boss.
+ I really enjoyed being able to mix and match different weapons, armor, accessories, and guns. I didn't ever get around to customizing equipment but I'm glad the option was there.
+ I liked the confidant system. It had the potential of making combat too easy, but it gave a reason for interacting with people.
+ I'm an adult but I love animation. And I really liked the animation in this game and wish there was more of it.
- I'm not the audience for this game. It seemed like it was meant for teenagers and not adults, and some of the philosophies and ideas were meant for a younger crowd. I didn't find anything in the game's philosophy to be all that deep or meaningful. My 16 year-old self would have loved it a lot more.
+ This was supposed to be the best of the Persona series as Nocturne was supposed to be the best of the SMT series. It has a lot going for it and I found myself curious about other SMT/Persona games. I prefer games that are more tactical and mature in nature, so it's not going to make any of my best RPG lists, but I did find it very enjoyable.

This does scratch that collecting/completionist itch of mine and I would definitely recommend the game. The music and styles reminded me of Cowboy Bepop in some ways, and I think I recognized a voice actor from the Cowboy Bepop series. I'm glad Joker's story is over, but I am looking forward now to Persona 6.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
So this year I ended up playing and finishing several Atlus games: Dragon's Crown, Shin Megumi Tensei: Nocturne, and Persona 5. I'm saying goodbye to my PS3 and shoved some RPG gaming through when I hung out by myself and Guitar Hero/Band Hero when I had friends over. I hadn't heard of Atlus before 2019, but it seems to be a really cool company and I'm glad it exists.

Play Shin Megami Tensei: Strange Journey, really good blobber

Puukko

Arcane
Deuce Traveler What difficulty were you playing P5 on? Because it took me twice as long on Hard as Nocturne took on Normal and definitely felt like a slog at times which I never got with Nocturne.

If you want a good old school style blobber, play Strange Journey (Redux). The 3DS version emulates perfectly.

For more PS2 era stuff, try out Digital Devil Saga, it's more story focused and has a really cool setting.

Viata

Arcane
For more PS2 era stuff, try out Digital Devil Saga, it's more story focused and has a really cool setting.
Tbh, I'd not recommend this for someone that is not into the series. It's really different from every other megaten and the random encounter is 10 battles for every step you take.

Puukko

Arcane
Tbh, I'd not recommend this for someone that is not into the series. It's really different from every other megaten and the random encounter is 10 battles for every step you take.
It's what I started with and then proceeded to play ten more games. I think it goes quite well hand-in-hand with Nocturne.

Zerth

Arbiter
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
+ The game is as long as Nocturne, but I never felt that it dragged like Nocturne. A lot of people put Nocturne over Persona 5, but I wonder if they are wearing nostalgia goggles. The amount of grinding and random encounters in Nocturne was excessive and many of the dungeons just dragged. I never felt like I had to grind in Persona 5 and I thought the palaces were well-designed. Towards the end of Nocturne I found myself casting magic that let me avoid random encounters. In Persona 5 I enjoyed the game mechanic of sneaking by them instead and if I screwed it up there were consequences.
It's a SMT custom to feel dragged when venturing through dungeons. Although random encounters are certainly the most aggravating factor of this highly tedious corridor crawling experience™, It doesn't help much either that the longest dungeon are p. much homogeneus in design. The worse ones in this regard are SMT IV, Persona 2 & 4 IMO being the fourth the most horrendous by a wide margin.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
Deuce Traveler What difficulty were you playing P5 on? Because it took me twice as long on Hard as Nocturne took on Normal and definitely felt like a slog at times which I never got with Nocturne.

If you want a good old school style blobber, play Strange Journey (Redux). The 3DS version emulates perfectly.

No, you're right. SMT: Nocturne took me about 60 hours to beat on the Normal difficulty, while Persona 5 took me 110 hours to beat. I guess that Nocturne felt like more of a slog and I felt like I had to grind a lot, which made it harder for me to turn the game back on, while I breezed through Persona 5 in a few weeks. Oh, and I forgot... Persona 5 has a dick monster that beats out the one in Stones of Arnhem:

mara2.jpg

I'm sure someone mentioned this on the thread.

Vorark

Erudite
An npc does mention a weird ritual going on in that room, though. Don't remember if he also cues you in about the full moon requirement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom