Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Reminder

huskarls

Scholar
POE was such dogshit even sawyer admitted it. The whole thing was a group gaslight, emperor has no clothes phenomenon. hitting 5% boost to attack for 3 second specials inbetween paragraphs of low grade tolkien shit. There should be a devoted historiography on the Great Kickstarter Decline on this forum to ensure something like this never happens again. And a group therapy thread where former POS cultist can come forward and talk about their experiences being brainwashed and the symptoms. I consider the whole affair to be codex's 9/11

Vlajdermen

Arcane
It was a necessary misstep at the beginning of the kickstarter era. It should be preserved for the sake of history, but the lessons we have learned from it lead us to eventually succeeding at what POE tried to do.

maxresdefault.jpg

pathfinder-kingmaker-explorer-edition-wallpaper-5.jpg

4d4af79b6dfcf1951ffa33221f8b41c4.jpg

kA3m1cp.png

The lesson being that you need to rely on The Eternal Slav

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
It was a necessary misstep at the beginning of the kickstarter era. It should be preserved for the sake of history, but the lessons we have learned from it lead us to eventually succeeding at what POE tried to do.

The beginning? Wasteland 2 was ass. PoE 2 is pretty much ass as well. Tyranny was ass.
Almost all of these kickstarted "big name guys who made a successful game 20 years ago" projects failed.

Vlajdermen

Arcane
The beginning? Wasteland 2 was ass. PoE 2 is pretty much ass as well. Tyranny was ass.
Almost all of these kickstarted "big name guys who made a successful game 20 years ago" projects failed.
We still let the lesson of ''big names don't mean quality'' slip our mind, but that means the big guys will fuck up so the little guys can learn from their mistakes. The mistakes of POE beget Pf:Km, and the mistakes of WL2 beget ATOM.

Shit is a potent fertilizer, as I say.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy
I liked POE it was OK

Half of you hated POE alright but also played all the Mass Effects and Inquisition and Fallout 4 and there are severe worries around your brain health

Fight me

I will fully admit that I've played through Inquisition out of morbid curiosity and boredom. The MMO-style throwaway gameplay, while not great, was at least compelling in a throwaway grindan gaem way. I tried PoE1 multiple times and stopped every time I reached the first big city because everything about it was just so *cachwr*

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
We still let the lesson of ''big names don't mean quality'' slip our mind, but that means the big guys will fuck up so the little guys can learn from their mistakes. The mistakes of POE beget Pf:Km, and the mistakes of WL2 beget ATOM.

The mistakes of Numanuma beget Disco Elysium (kinda)

Tigranes

Arcane
I liked POE it was OK

Half of you hated POE alright but also played all the Mass Effects and Inquisition and Fallout 4 and there are severe worries around your brain health

Fight me

I will fully admit that I've played through Inquisition out of morbid curiosity and boredom. The MMO-style throwaway gameplay, while not great, was at least compelling in a throwaway grindan gaem way. I tried PoE1 multiple times and stopped every time I reached the first big city because everything about it was just so *cachwr*

Isn't one of the lessons of POE that many Codexers now prefer the comfort junk food of half-assed cliche high fantasy smash orcs kinda-MMO forgettable mash over an overambitious, overwrought, high-concept, ultimately failed effort at more complex mechanics and better writing?

In an ideal world, we'd accept neither, and get more Underrails and AODs. But hey it's pretty weird to me to slurp the lukewarm bathwater of TOW or I WANT TO BE A DRAGON MOMMY but POE is the one people are really really angry about

Viata

Arcane
I liked POE it was OK

Fight me
I have not played any of them. The only sin I have is that I bought POE, but I never finished that given how shit it was. It was also the last time I bought any rpg that is not turn-based. :dealwithit:

Bruma Hobo

Lurker

The mistakes of Numanuma beget Disco Elysium (kinda)
The mistakes of Fallout 4 beget The Outer Worlds. Oh, wait...

Isn't one of the lessons of POE that many Codexers now prefer the comfort junk food of half-assed cliche high fantasy smash orcs kinda-MMO forgettable mash over an overambitious, overwrought, high-concept, ultimately failed effort at more complex mechanics and better writing
Are we still talking about Pillars of Eternity?

barghwata

Savant
ultimately failed effort at more complex mechanics and better writing?

In what world is PoE an "effort at more complex mechanics and better writing"? effort and PoE are two words that should never be put in the same sentence, it's probably the laziest obsidian has ever been on any game they made, all they did was copy baldur's gate and then somehow made it even worst by completely half assing the encounter design and the writing.

I would take TOW or ME1 over PoE any day of the week.

Tigranes

Arcane
ultimately failed effort at more complex mechanics and better writing?

In what world is PoE an "effort at more complex mechanics and better writing"?

In a world where that is prefaced by "failed".

I know, I know, it's hard. You see PoE and "complex" in the same sentence! God forbid, "better!" Instead of "dumpsterfire" or "shiternity" or "whoopie goldberg's ballsack!" You feel the fury building in you! You must speak!

barghwata

Savant
In a world where that is prefaced by "failed".

I know, I know, it's hard. You see PoE and "complex" in the same sentence! God forbid, "better!" Instead of "dumpsterfire" or "shiternity" or "whoopie goldberg's ballsack!" You feel the fury building in you! You must speak!

I wasn't triggered by the word "complex", it's more the word "effort" that really bugged me; eveything about the game just screams "LAZY", Obsidian really didn't try anything interesting with the game, the writing and the setting were very bland, the encounter design and quest design were especially terrible and lazy, and the character creation system despite having some interesting ideas didn't work out because of sawyer's obsession with balance and not wanting to take any risks whatsoever.

And yes i certainly wouldn't call something like ME1 an "effort at more complex mechanics .." since it follow the regular bioware formula, but bioware at least succeeded at what they were trying to do which is to deliver a solid sci-fi cinematic experience with decent writing and C&C and that's better then nothing; whereas Obsidian just tried to copy Baldur's gate and failed miserably because they were lazy and didn't want to take any risks.

Serious_Business

Best Poster on the Codex
I liked POE it was OK

Fight me

I will fight you you FUCK

Come here I will punch you right in the neck I will suffocate you you will utterly perish DIE

DIE YOU FUCKER

I also thought PoE was eh, ok, I guess, but a fight to the death is what I am interested in, as I must solve the problem of my eternally broken heart

AND THE PROBLEM OF MY ETERNALLY ERECT PILLAR

YEAH BAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

I need a fucking drink

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom