Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Au Ellai

Educated
Of course the RPS derps whine that there are tactical options instead of such a limited amount of choices that it may as well be a CYOA game. "There are more options than shoot, run and gun, and pick one mission out of 3! Look at all this progress that was undone by giving the player options and choice! I don't want to use tactics in a tactical game, it hurts my brain having choices."

Fuck I know I shouldn't read RPS, it makes me mad every time. That raw fervent idiocy is so pants-on-head retarded I'm still not entirely sure it's not satire. How can anyone be so fucking stupid?

Anyways, this isn't about those asshats and their half-assed piece of shit "review" that serves as nothing but rage-bait for clicks as they slowly drown to death in an industry that no longer wants them. It's about Phoenix Point, which looks fucking terrible compared to X-Piratez or XcomFiles, but miles better than the abortion that is Nu-com.

Suicidal

Arcane
Saw a couple of streams of it and people were just complaining that this isn't Firaxis X-coms and that it doesn't have fancy cutscenes or named NPCs that constantly talk while you're playing. Looks like going after the Firaxis zoomer demographic wasn't such a good idea :M. Also it made me realize something - the modern X-COMs are essentially the Dark Souls of turn based games. Because this is not the first time I've watched people play something turn based and complain how it's not like X-COM or how it should be more like X-COM.

PhantasmaNL

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria
They do have a Key Bindings tab, which just informs you of how the bindings are hardcoded and forever locked in the game.

You see this sometimes in small indie efforts.

I think Cleve included something like that in his CRPG Masterpiece Grimoire, after pressing F1. At least Grimoire shows a colorful keyboard layout with button descriptions, and also F1 can be used anywhere in game. Clearly superior.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Looks like going after the Firaxis zoomer demographic wasn't such a good idea :M. Also it made me realize something - the modern X-COMs are essentially the Dark Souls of turn based games. Because this is not the first time I've watched people play something turn based and complain how it's not like X-COM or how it should be more like X-COM.
You don't say...

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Saw a couple of streams of it and people were just complaining that this isn't Firaxis X-coms and that it doesn't have fancy cutscenes or named NPCs that constantly talk while you're playing. Looks like going after the Firaxis zoomer demographic wasn't such a good idea :M.
That is, like, the least surprising thing in the world. I wonder how awesome the market performance on consoles is.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Seems like it will be a good game when it comes to Steam, cool :P
That's really something I can't wait for.
Not necessarily for this game, but in general, to see how games that took the "dirty" money will be received on Steam. Will they just get review bombed, will they sell less, or even more?
Will be interesting.

Mazisky

Magister
Another problem for Gollop is that by the time Phoenix Point will be "complete" with Dlcs, patches and released to steam, it may face the Xcom 3 announce or even release.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
Another problem for Gollop is that by the time Phoenix Point will be "complete" with Dlcs, patches and released to steam, it may face the Xcom 3 announce or even release.
They'll probably announce it, not way is it going to be released a few months after announcement. They don't work that fast.
And even so, I still prefer Phoenix Point. As long as that retarded chance to hit mechanic doesn't exist, I'm happy. Plus that it simulates bullets and trajectories and destructible environment and with high caliber weapons you can shoot through cover, yeah, very happy. Not to mention the free aim.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
Hiring external teams for art typically ends badly.
I'd say that is actually the only part of game development that can very well be made by external hires. That and music.
A game can be "finished" (or say, beta stage) before a single final piece of art is in as long as you know what you are doing.

Now, does everyone who hires external people for art & music know what they are doing? Hell, no.
Actually when I wrote art, I meant THE Art like movies, not specifically art assets. Of course textures, character portraits, and other stuff can be made by external artists, when BOTH sides know what they are doing.

Hiring external company for making your game is disaster.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Seems like it will be a good game when it comes to Steam, cool :P
That's really something I can't wait for.
Not necessarily for this game, but in general, to see how games that took the "dirty" money will be received on Steam. Will they just get review bombed, will they sell less, or even more?
Will be interesting.
Even more interesting question is whether for this kind of game, where the money was received upfront and the sales probably won't be too amazing, the devs will feel any motivation to develop and improve it. There's something in the epic contract about it for sure, but real effort versus I just have to do it jeez can be a very significant difference.

Cross

Arcane
Saw a couple of streams of it and people were just complaining that this isn't Firaxis X-coms and that it doesn't have fancy cutscenes or named NPCs that constantly talk while you're playing. Looks like going after the Firaxis zoomer demographic wasn't such a good idea :M.
It wasn't. Especially when some of those zoomers are also game journalists.

https://www.vg247.com/2019/12/03/phoenix-point-review/
Like XCOM, then, Phoenix Point is a gripping tactical strategy game. Like XCOM, it’s frequently lovely to look at, wonderfully tense, and there’s a lot of depth and customisation to be found in its almost endlessly replayable combat scenarios. I like most of its unique ideas – the more freeform overworld and faction setup – but that overwhelming sense of deja vu is inescapable in much of its design. Regardless of whether this game is borrowing, stealing or reclaiming ideas from the series that inspired it, it sort of doesn’t matter: Phoenix Point is all a little too like XCOM to move the genre forward in any huge way.

Child of Malkav

Erudite
They'll probably announce it, not way is it going to be released a few months after announcement. They don't work that fast.
Firaxis is kinda known for announcing games only a few months before their release btw
XCOM enemy unknown was revealed in January 2012, released October 2012.
XCOM 2 was announced in June 2015 and released in February 2016.
I expect the same time frame for XCOM 3 as well, probably even larger depending on how much content they're putting in.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Like XCOM, then, Phoenix Point is a gripping tactical strategy game. Like XCOM, it’s frequently lovely to look at, wonderfully tense, and there’s a lot of depth and customisation to be found in its almost endlessly replayable combat scenarios. I like most of its unique ideas – the more freeform overworld and faction setup – but that overwhelming sense of deja vu is inescapable in much of its design. Regardless of whether this game is borrowing, stealing or reclaiming ideas from the series that inspired it, it sort of doesn’t matter: Phoenix Point is all a little too like XCOM to move the genre forward in any huge way.

This is why reviews are pointless. Who gives a shit if a game X is too much like a game Y or if it moves the genre forward? Wtf? Did XCOM2 moved the formula forward from XCOM1? Not even a pinch. So what. All that matters is if it's fun to play.

Suicidal

Arcane
Few guys gonna admit it here, but Firaxis has set a standard for modern turn based with Nuxcoms. Deal with it.

I enjoyed the Firaxis X-Coms (after applying an assload of mods) but I don't think shit like cinematics and "memorable characters you get attached to" as the zoomers put it are very necessary things for the turn-based tactics genre.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
So, in the end, this "release" is officially nothing more than a "glorified" Early Access, as expected. But calling it 1.0 most likely it will turn out as a boomerang, because you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

Starwars

Arcane
I played NuX-Com a fair amount, only tried X-Com 2 briefly, but one of the things I disliked the most about them was their attempts at storytelling. Complete waste of time, not well written in the least, and shitty characters. It just served to get in the way of the gameplay as far as I'm concerned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom