Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Horizon Zero Dawn - open world action-RPG from Guerilla Games - now on PC

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
So what's with these rumors saying game is coming to PC next year? From the Mongolian Basket Weaving Board.

1575454269799.jpg

Zer0wing

Cipher
So what is the point of PS4 now if it keeps losing exclusives? Multiplayer and naughty dog titles? That's weak.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
They are chasing after Microsoft in preparation for the post PS5 era, in which there won't be a PS6, but game bundle subscriptions.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
FWIW:

If true I wonder if it requires PSN account (not Plus subscription) or something, luring PC players to make accounts.

DeepOcean

Arcane
The strategy seems to release exclusives on consoles/their streaming services then when the user base playing those games dies down, release on steam for more sales and trying to hook people into buying a console/pay subscription to play the sequel without having to wait so long.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
Shit, its real? https://kotaku.com/sources-horizon-zero-dawn-is-coming-to-pc-1841043569
Sources: Horizon: Zero Dawn Is Coming To PC

The PlayStation 4 exclusive Horizon: Zero Dawn will come to personal computers this year, sources tell Kotaku. It’s an unprecedented move for Sony that signals a future in which the publisher releases games on platforms beyond its own consoles.

This news comes from three people familiar with Sony’s plans, all speaking anonymously because they were not authorized to talk to press. Sony did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Horizon: Zero Dawn, an open-world game set in a post-apocalyptic version of the United States that has been overrun by robot dinosaurs, launched for PS4 in February 2017. It was critically acclaimed and commercially successful for its developer, Guerrilla Games, which is owned and operated by Sony. And, like other Sony-published games over the past two decades, it was exclusive to a PlayStation console, helping drive sales of Sony’s hardware in addition to generating revenue on its own.

Now, three years later, Horizon will be on another platform for the first time. We expect to see the game on both Steam and the Epic Games Store when it launches (although that may not be finalized yet). It will be the first Guerrilla game on a non-PlayStation platform since Sony purchased the Netherlands-based studio in 2005. It will also be an opportunity for Guerrilla to show off its technical chops—Horizon: Zero Dawn, restrained by the PlayStation 4's hardware, was locked at a framerate of 30 frames per second. We expect the PC version to be more capable.

This will be the first big exclusive game from a Sony-owned developer to come to PC. Death Stranding, which launched for PS4 last November and will also arrive on PC later this year, was funded and published by Sony but developed by an independent studio, Kojima Productions. (In fact, the PC version of Death Stranding is published by a different company, 505 Games.) The French studio Quantic Dream, also independent, had a similar arrangement last year, self-publishing its games Heavy Rain, Beyond: Two Souls, and Detroit: Become Human on PC without Sony’s involvement.

One other thing Death Stranding and Horizon: Zero Dawn share is technology. Both games run on Guerrilla’s Decima Engine, a robust suite of tools and software for making open-world video games. Guerrilla and Kojima Productions have worked closely together in recent years.

For most publishers, the release of a game on PC would be no big deal. Most video game companies try to put their software on as many platforms as possible. But for Sony, this is a remarkable move. Since the launch of the PlayStation 1 in 1994, just about every game funded and developed by Sony has been exclusive to a PlayStation platform. (Sony’s PC-focused massively multiplayer online games, including EverQuest, are the main exception.) Sony’s strategy has always been to drive hardware sales with software and vice versa. One would expect them to take the same approach with future games on the PlayStation 5, which will launch this fall.

But, as analyst Mat Piscatella has smartly pointed out, the future of video games lies in ecosystems, not platforms. Sony’s biggest competitor, Microsoft, has been more upfront about its platform-agnostic strategy, with Xbox boss Phil Spencer talking frequently about wanting to get their games in as many hands as possible. For the past couple of years, Microsoft has released all of its Xbox games on PC as well. Will Sony follow suit with its own slate of PlayStation exclusives? This upcoming PC port of Horizon may be a telling sign.

Ivan

Arcane
I played through it recently. I found the open world to be generic, it's quests not of the RPG school, but just checklists. My favorite part was the enemy design and the different weapon mods you get for the bow. I hope they double down on the combat in the 2nd title.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I saw the "big Sony exclusive" headline and was hoping for Killzone, because I like first-person shooters. These open world collect-a-thons I'm not so much into, but I'll watch some videos and see if it's as bad as Assassin's Creed. I like the look of it.

Hoping this means Sony will release more stuff. Would buy Bloodborne or Killzone day one.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
We now need Bloodborne and Last of us 2.

Bloodborne is definitely the big prize and one of those cases where a game could be improved immensely in terms of performance just by being on PC. Dubious, though.

sullynathan

Arcane
I'm playing it now for the first time and the combat and graphics are the highlight of the game. The best comparison is to a shorter more easily controllable monster hunter.

I saw the "big Sony exclusive" headline and was hoping for Killzone, because I like first-person shooters. These open world collect-a-thons I'm not so much into, but I'll watch some videos and see if it's as bad as Assassin's Creed. I like the look of it.

Hoping this means Sony will release more stuff. Would buy Bloodborne or Killzone day one.
Killzone Shadowfall is garbage and so is the original killzone. Killzone 2 & to a lesser extent 3 are the ones worth playing but Sony is just ditching the franchise and the PS3.

Vorark

Erudite
It will also be an opportunity for Guerrilla to show off its technical chops—Horizon: Zero Dawn, restrained by the PlayStation 4's hardware, was locked at a framerate of 30 frames per second. We expect the PC version to be more capable.

Imagine unshackled Bloodborne, in all its glory.

:bounce::bounce::bounce:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom