Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Misguided opinions you had about RPGs when you were young

Got bored and left

I thought Baldur's Gate was the pinnacle of writing.

Swigen

Arbiter
When I was like 11 I was in a video rental store, (fucken tapes) and I overheard the clerks talking about RPGs. A female employee was gushing over Final Fantasy 7 and the male employee goes, “Final Fantasy? Give me a computer RPG over that any day.” And I remember thinking to myself, “Pffffft! What an idiot!”

Got bored and left

imo this is the most misguided opinion in this thread so far. What on earth were you thinking?!

I think I was 7 or 8 when I first played it. Also, the Polish translation is really well done, high profile actors were doing VA and everything. I was mesmerized.

curds

Magister
Fair enough. I can see how it would appeal to a 7 year old, as the original English version appears to have been written by a 7 year old.

undecaf

Arcane
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
I thought they were a tad clumsy and unclear.

Now, in the age of overt streamlining, I miss both of those traits.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
In the blissful days of the early 00s, when new cool RPGs were released every year, and I had a massive backlog of 90s RPGs to discover, I thought things would only keep getting better and better.

When I played Morrowind, I thought the future Elder Scrolls games would only grow more complex, with even more equipment slots, more spells, an even deeper worldbuilding, more hidden things to discover.

I thought Arcanum was the beginning of something great, and everyone would copy that game's approach to quest design.

I thought that once hardware improved, levels would be getting larger - the sequel to Deus Ex would surely have levels that are twice as large and crammed with more stuff to discover!

I thought isometric RPGs were a subgenre that was popular enough to receive new entries at such a regular pace, we'd never run out of ones to play.

I thought the open exploration formula of 3D RPGs like Gothic and Morrowind, where NPCs would give you hints where to go and the in-game map was functional but didn't tell you everything, was perfect and no developer would ever change it.

Then consoles happened and quest compasses were introduced and everything went to shit :negative:

Storyfag

Perfidious Pole
Patron
In the blissful days of the early 00s, when new cool RPGs were released every year, and I had a massive backlog of 90s RPGs to discover, I thought things would only keep getting better and better.

When I played Morrowind, I thought the future Elder Scrolls games would only grow more complex, with even more equipment slots, more spells, an even deeper worldbuilding, more hidden things to discover.

I thought Arcanum was the beginning of something great, and everyone would copy that game's approach to quest design.

I thought that once hardware improved, levels would be getting larger - the sequel to Deus Ex would surely have levels that are twice as large and crammed with more stuff to discover!

I thought isometric RPGs were a subgenre that was popular enough to receive new entries at such a regular pace, we'd never run out of ones to play.

I thought the open exploration formula of 3D RPGs like Gothic and Morrowind, where NPCs would give you hints where to go and the in-game map was functional but didn't tell you everything, was perfect and no developer would ever change it.

Then consoles happened and quest compasses were introduced and everything went to shit :negative:

Pretty much this.

Also, I thought Bloodlines would get a worthy sequel :negative:

Chippy

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

There's different kinds of good though. The majority would agree that PST had better writing than BG1, but I replayed BG1 more times than PST.

I know what the counter-argument is: but even if the combat was (as good) in PST, I still wouldn't have replayed it the same amount of times. The reason being that the writing in BG1 set the tone perfectly for such a long game, while the writing in PST was more concentrated to tell that specific story.

Just using your post to mention a pet peeve that I have with the Codex that everything seems to be a single linear scale of "gud". I'd say there are different scales of gud with different flavours.

-No, that doesn't make me gay.

Riddler

Arcane
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria

Pretty much this.

Also, I thought Bloodlines would get a worthy sequel :negative:

I remember when the clerk I bought the game from was extremely reluctant to charge me for the game and encouraged me to come back later the same week to get my money back because the game was so broken.

Got bored and left

There's different kinds of good though. The majority would agree that PST had better writing than BG1, but I replayed BG1 more times than PST.

I know what the counter-argument is: but even if the combat was (as good) in PST, I still wouldn't have replayed it the same amount of times. The reason being that the writing in BG1 set the tone perfectly for such a long game, while the writing in PST was more concentrated to tell that specific story.

Just using your post to mention a pet peeve that I have with the Codex that everything seems to be a single linear scale of "gud". I'd say there are different scales of gud with different flavours.

-No, that doesn't make me gay.

Oh, of course, there's definitely a place for a more goofy, laid-back style of writing, and everything with between. Pulpy shit is fine, too. Not every story has to be a deadly serious exploration of existential angst.

My problem with BG's (both I and II) writing is that it's chock-full of lolrandom "I HAZ A SPESS HAMSTOR" moments interspersed with super serious stuff about Bhaal and murdering babies. And I used to think this was good. So :P

Self-Ejected

Harry Easter

Self-Ejected
I thought, that only Party-RPG's were good RPG's.

I also thought, that it would be fun, to discuss with people about the genre I love most. Then I found the codex.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
As an actual young kid I played JRPGs on NES and SNES and thought they were well written and cool stories, which is a big LOL to me as an adult. Can't believe people above 16 still love that genre.

As a teen who moved to PC gaming, I definitely found certain games like Betrayal at Krondor too "wordy." I'm not even sure I disagree with this now though, necessarily. I don't think playing a game should feel like reading a book (or watching a movie). It should all be properly balanced with the gameplay. That said, I can definitely play "wordy" games now.

curds

Magister
It can't be too bad when there's so many memorable (and not because they are unintentionally funny) lines.
Are you implying that only good things can be memorable? BG's writing is memorable to me because it made me physically cringe.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
After playing Hillsfar I thought RPGs are games about bunch of shitty minigames.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom