Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

What game are you wasting time on?

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron
Finally getting around to Dying Light after having it sit on my ssd since it first came out practically. Wow, this game is giving me major motion sickness, and I've played tons of FPS over the years with nary an issue. Must be all the mantling and parkouring, yet I have no problem with the Thief classics. I must be getting old. The nausea becomes so acute I've temporarily stopped playing and ordered some ginger chews (ginger root soft candy) to see if that remedies the problem. Really want to play this. Any other tips for fighting motion sickness in first person shooters in case the ginger chews don't work?

Did you turn off motion blur? I, too, get motion sickness, turning off MB usually helps.

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
So I dropped Tex Murphy because it didn't really grab me. Installed Dirt 3 instead and I'm having a lot of fun with it. I haven't played a proper rally game since Rally Trophy, so I'm enjoying this a lot. Although navigating in the menus is long and retarded, waiting for all kinds of animations. But the races themselves are intense and fun.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Finally getting around to Dying Light after having it sit on my ssd since it first came out practically. Wow, this game is giving me major motion sickness, and I've played tons of FPS over the years with nary an issue. Must be all the mantling and parkouring, yet I have no problem with the Thief classics. I must be getting old. The nausea becomes so acute I've temporarily stopped playing and ordered some ginger chews (ginger root soft candy) to see if that remedies the problem. Really want to play this. Any other tips for fighting motion sickness in first person shooters in case the ginger chews don't work?

Did you turn off motion blur? I, too, get motion sickness, turning off MB usually helps.

I had all options turned on and now unticked Motion Blur. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if it helps. Another tip someone suggested for motion sickness in first person shooters was to make sure weapon bobbing was disabled. I can eliminate that potential issue from Dying Light since I don't think it has it. It's just funny how I almost never had motion sickness with FPS games until now, and I've been playing them since Doom came out. Weirdly enough, I did get violently sick playing Silent Service on my Commodore 64 many years ago, but it might have been that hideous pastel pink sky palette. Hehe.

Catacombs

Arcane
Patron

I had all options turned on and now unticked Motion Blur. Thanks for the tip. I'll see if it helps. Another tip someone suggested for motion sickness in first person shooters was to make sure weapon bobbing was disabled. I can eliminate that potential issue from Dying Light since I don't think it has it. It's just funny how I almost never had motion sickness with FPS games until now, and I've been playing them since Doom came out. Weirdly enough, I did get violently sick playing Silent Service on my Commodore 64 many years ago, but it might have been that hideous pastel pink sky palette. Hehe.

You can also try adjusting the FOV, if there is such an option in Dying Light.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane

You can also try adjusting the FOV, if there is such an option in Dying Light.

I just played for an hour and didn't get nauseous. So between the disabling of motion blur and my own medicinal concoction of 1/2 teaspoon of ginger powder mixed into my morning coffee, I might be okay now. We'll see.

CootKeeper

Augur
I'm still working out my grief as an ex-Obsidian fanboy by firing up FNV. Motherfucker but is it a terrific game. Janky, yes, with some highly irritating QoL issues, yes, but the world feels alive, like it really doesn't give a fuck that you're there. People talk and behave like people, not quest dispensers or lore-o-mats. And if the story takes a dark turn the game isn't afraid to follow. Also, skills and stats that matter, a thoroughly well thought-out and supremely :balance:d weapons system, survival mechanics that add a nice little bit of spice without becoming a real PITA, locations that feel like hand-crafted places rather than copy-pasted generic tunnels... and it feels huge.

I had almost forgotten that open-world games can be like this.

Agreed with all your points. I'm having a playthrough at the moment as well and I have to say, it's a lot of fun to play pretending VATS doesn't exist, using explosives and guns and just exploring around to see what's around the corner over there.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
Claw Viper Temple in Diablo 2 on Hell with a Cold Sorceress...that was hellish. Had to Resurrect my Merc 3-4 times, and my sorc died twice.
I thought Cold Immunes were really immune, but it looks like cold spells work on some cold immune enemies. But for the second of the two viper bosses, I had to resort to running and casting Fire Wall. (Chain) Lightning is useless since it's so bloody slow.
Definitely the worst area since Nightmare Duriel (but then I didn't realize I could respec at will with PlugY, so was stuck with lvl 1 Fire spells).

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Bomb squad academy, a puzzle game. Quite short, I'm one hour in and I think it wouldn't take more than one hour to clear the remaining puzzles. It's based around electrical circuits (quite simplified, if my memories of high school physic serves me right), with the goal of each puzzle being to defuse a bomb, by routing electrical currents to the defusing part of it.
There are a few elements (AND,OR,XOR gates, switches, timers, capacitors, cables to cut) to which to use. Each element is brought in a series of levels of increasing difficulties. Each bomb is on a timer, but the penalty is nill, since you can start again that puzzle immediately. It's kinda easy, but I think the devs went that way on the difficulty so that the puzzles are doable in the time limit (between 30s & 2 mins). Also it's weird how a few time I successfully defused a bomb, but had to go back and do it again to understand how it worked.

I got it in the latest sale, I'd say it's a tad expensive at 4.99 for less than 2 hours.

I'm also still playing Tomb Raider: the last revelation, I suck so much (which is understandable since it's the first time I'm playing a platformer like this), but it's still fun.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Book of Demons - made of concentrated Diablo 1 nostalgia. Very fun and addictive.

Ghost of a Tale - I love that little mouse, a beautiful, fun game with some really clever and funny writing.

Kirby's Return to Dream Land (aka Kirby's Adventure) - I have a son, ok? Also, it's a really good game.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Trying Titanfall 2. I'm usually not an FPS guy but I have to admit that it's pretty cool. I don't care much about the story but gameplay is solid and fun, despite me being shit at games in this genre.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer
Playing Hollow Knight. Pretty solid game. Some of the bosses have retarded RNG/boss design. I feel this is a common problem with games that wants to be "difficult". But the rest is so solid that its still a good game.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Playing Hollow Knight. Pretty solid game. Some of the bosses have retarded RNG/boss design. I feel this is a common problem with games that wants to be "difficult". But the rest is so solid that its still a good game.

There's like 2 fights in the entire game that you can't reliably get through with no damage. Git gud.

Stormcrowfleet

Aeon & Star Interactive
Developer

There's like 2 fights in the entire game that you can't reliably get through with no damage. Git gud.

I still think not all bosses are good design, no matter how much git gud I need lol. I've just beaten the game and I do think it's a nice one, but it changes nothing to my previous point, since I'm a casual at that kind of thing.

Damned Registrations

Furry Weeaboo Nazi Nihilist
Some of the bosses are crap, but not due to RNG. They've all got tells enough to avoid. A lot of the dream warriors are too simple imo and I'm not a fan of the bosses with long invincibility cycles. Most of the boss fights are excellent though, especially considering the norm these days is stupid shit like doing some gimmick 3 times instead of actually hurting the boss, or running around for a while in some repeating pattern followed by being free to unload on the boss for 10 seconds.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
ELLSyHdUEAARpWl

Alpharay, neat shmup for the c16, Plus/4 system
https://psytronik.itch.io/alpharay

Soundtrack is free on Bandcamp, good chiptunes
https://5tarbuck.bandcamp.com/album/alpharay-soundtrack

Last edited:

Karambit

Barely Literate
Been playing through Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition recently. First played it nearly three years ago but it didn't grab me like Demon's Souls did so I put it down for a while. Decided to start again as a pyromancer and I've been loving it.

Did some grinding on Diablo III: Eternal Collection the other week but stopped after I hit level 70.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Playing Bomb squad academy, a puzzle game. Quite short, I'm one hour in and I think it wouldn't take more than one hour to clear the remaining puzzles. It's based around electrical circuits (quite simplified, if my memories of high school physic serves me right), with the goal of each puzzle being to defuse a bomb, by routing electrical currents to the defusing part of it.
There are a few elements (AND,OR,XOR gates, switches, timers, capacitors, cables to cut) to which to use. Each element is brought in a series of levels of increasing difficulties. Each bomb is on a timer, but the penalty is nill, since you can start again that puzzle immediately. It's kinda easy, but I think the devs went that way on the difficulty so that the puzzles are doable in the time limit (between 30s & 2 mins). Also it's weird how a few time I successfully defused a bomb, but had to go back and do it again to understand how it worked.

I got it in the latest sale, I'd say it's a tad expensive at 4.99 for less than 2 hours.

I finished Bomb squad, the difficulty ramp up for the latest levels, with bigger puzzles. Still it took me less than 2h to finish and some in the Steam forum said that they finished it in less than an hour.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - Just more modern TR. I like it well enough. I feel like the tombs and puzzles are a little more complex than TR(2013), but that could be my imagination.

Warband Prophecy of Pendor. I'm like 4 hours into this and it seems OK. After hundreds of hours of Warband I was kind of hoping for more significant changes. Finished Viking Conquest a few weeks ago and it nudged me back into bingeing on Warband but I may be done again.

Gibson

Learned
Installing ToEE as I write; caught some nasty cold and the last 3 days were really shitty so I decided for some "gaming comfort food" where I'll just go and fight my way around the place :)

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom