Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Path of Exile is a MAJESTIC incline

Absinthe

Arcane
Yeah, actually the idea of being some rabble that washed up on shore or was sent to some island prison held much more appeal than whatever shit you eventually become. It would have been more interesting and have had a storyline integration for any PVP interactions since you share the island with other cutthroats and opportunists.
It even had storyline integration for why you keep killing the same shit over and over again, since nothing dies in Wraeclast as it should once Wraeclast has them in its grip.

But of course they went the typical way of having some guy that was in rags and in a shitty leaky boat in the midst of a storm become the mightiest hero ever. It had potential to go somewhere interesting and be coherent, but nah let's fight giant Lovecraftian rejects or something.
Yeah it was a massive disappointment where they took it. I liked it much better when the major drives as a character were to get ahead and figure out what the fuck happened. And on the side you could add some story of the struggling exile community doing better as a result of your actions. Forsaken Masters was also a bad update. They should have used existing NPCs instead of inserting a new bunch of powerful exiles who are inexplicably standing around not doing any of the shit that you've got to do.

janior

Arcane
Patron

ArchAngel

Arcane
I didn't see anyone talk about trade.
It came up once I think, during Quins interview with Chris.

Essentially they'd like to just use an in-game browser that directly opens the trade-site they have (which is far better than poe.trade at this point btw) because it doesn't remove the process of talking and bartering with other people.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FastExuberantRamenCurseLit

Once a retard, always a retard..

T. Reich

Arcane
They should have used existing NPCs instead of inserting a new bunch of powerful exiles who are inexplicably standing around not doing any of the shit that you've got to do.
Just because you're doing what "you must", doesn't mean everybody else is privy to that knowledge or feels motivated to help you. It's your business, get fucked.
In fact, if you were dead, the old gods would still be sleeping. You spend most of the game fixing the mess you caused by blindly bumping into things (and then killing them).

Also, just because you don't know what the masters are doing, doesn't mean that they aren't doing anything big.
It's not like you ask them about their motivation or goals, or why you kept doing those missions for them.
No surprise that Betrayal came a surprise to the player character. Because by design we already play an extremely self-centered character who doesn't give a fucking toss about anybody else. "Helping" was mostly a side-effect of pursuing selfish goals.
Is the new league's storyline really a surprise to anyone?

How about the current bunch of masters? Why do you help them? Why are they doing what they are doing?
Alva is messing with the time itself purely for material gain. Or that's what she tells you. It's not like you ever cared to ask more.
Niko is digging deep into earth, literally creating pathways for the endless dark below to spill out on the surface once there's no more sulphite to ward it off. Or until Niko finally snaps and actually starts doing what the whispers are telling him.
Einhar is all about blood sacrifices, and you're all too happy to oblige. He's only sacrificing stupid beasts, right? Also, to what end? Oh right, he's preparing for the actual apocalypse when the old-old gods return, and he outright says he wants to join them. Sure, he's a friendly sort and he expects you to join him. What if you say no? Well, he still LOOOOVES you. And you you will be friends. Until he slaughters you, hahaha!
Jun you literally know nothing about outside of what she chose to tell you.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Anyone here play (HC) SSF?

How much harder is it? Since GGG announced their competition I'm kinda interested in running it for metamorph league as an added spice to my HCing (even tho I will likely have no chance for any of the prizes).

I suspect main issue is inability to get build enabling uniques and decent rares.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

How much harder is it? Since GGG announced their competition I'm kinda interested in running it for metamorph league as an added spice to my HCing (even tho I will likely have no chance for any of the prizes).

I suspect main issue is inability to get build enabling uniques and decent rares.

Tried it a couple of leagues ago for a bit. I gave up after a while.

As you say, the main issue is missing build uniques. It pretty much forces you to play weaker starter builds that are less reliant on specific items.

T. Reich

Arcane

There's a higher emphasis on self-crafting, but that's about it.
Anything is possible if you invest a bit of brain and a bunch of time into it.
You can get much better than "decent" rares if you know what's up.
And while you have to start with a more reliable "starter" build, eventually you will have a ton of good uniques drop for you. And if you don't, there's always divination card farming.
At least you don't need to worry about getting 6-links, because these are super easy to make these days.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Links are only an issue for uniques.
For rares, you just quality the item up to approx 40q, then 6L it under 300 fuses basically.
In guild I am in many people complained that 40q didn't help it, they still needed more than 1500 fusings to 6l. It helps a bit, but not even close to that.

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
For rares, you just quality the item up to approx 40q, then 6L it under 300 fuses basically.
Is there a "PoE crafting 101" guide somewhere? I've seen 40q items in various places, but I haven't got a clue how to do it. Same for stuff like how to make good use of regals, vaal orbs and the like.
spending your currency for crafting is actually fun.
I can sorta buy this, but seems like it is also basically just spending hours in front of a slot machine.

Perkel

Arcane

In SSF you don't create builds first and then you play. You first play, then you find something and theory craft around it. It is much better game thanks to that because what you find actually matters.

I play mostly SSF. Like some said. If you start to play SSF there is no going back.

I would love if SSF had more changes compared to standard though:

- no vendor, you can sell but not buy anything including gems. This would mean all those gemcutter sctrongboxes and drops would means something like they used to in 1.xx version. Getting support you need would change completely how you play. I play like that since last 2 leagues and it has been a blast, though it is self made rule which is hard to keep as you would think.
- less monsters, more monster HP. This is in general POE issue but SSF hurts the most from it.
- loot centered around bosses rather than whites.

Mark.L.Joy

Prophet
Is there a "PoE crafting 101" guide somewhere? I've seen 40q items in various places, but I haven't got a clue how to do it. Same for stuff like how to make good use of regals, vaal orbs and the like.
Never seen a good one, best way to learn is to do, play in trade league to reduce grinding, I've done trans + alt + scour spam for multi craft mod and the rest is essence scour or fossil scouring on 6-link from cards, regals are used in multicraft and vaals are dumb unless you have lots of the same item if you're taking the risk it's better to do temple nowadays I'd think, 40q is done with fossils plus bench or maybe syndicate?

T. Reich

Arcane
I'm afraid not. Never seen a comprehensive guide anywhere. Most of these guides are the "how to craft a GG X thing" sort. You can try looking for one, though.
40Q is super easy. You take your desired base, 20q it. Then you 28-30q it with perfect fossils or via hillock's T3 syndicate bench. Then you craft one of the hybrid "+stat/+quality" veiled mods on the bench. There you go.

I can sorta buy this, but seems like it is also basically just spending hours in front of a slot machine.
Jeez, we're talking crafting here, not throwing orbs at item randomly.
Sure, if you go alt-regal-annul route to craft those 1-3 core mods, you'll have to try the lady luck for a while. But essences/fossils already produce semi-deterministic results, so most of the time you'd get what you want fairly quick, unless you're going for some really out of whack mod combo, or want a GG item.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom