Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Owlcat Games' next RPG is Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

deuxhero

Arcane
Drow (yeah...)
Drizzt knockoff companion confirmed.

I won't really mind having to roleplay a paladin-type. There is a place for such RPGs. Still, fighting a hell pit seems... kinda generic. Afaik pathfinder doesn't even have a blood war demon/devil distinction to make the forces of hell interesting.
I can't remember playing a computer RPG game that went into hell really except Diablo, and it is only kind of an RPG and I am not sure you are actually in Hell or just some place like it, I forget....

I am sure there are some games that go there and I just can't remember. But ever since I saw the artwork of the paladin fighting in hell from the original players handbook I have wanted to have a module or computer game focused on doing the same . So I would not mind playing a paladin and/or good aligned clerics for that since I almost never play those types of characters normally.

Hordes of the Underdark

Temple of Elemental Evil
also has the elemental nodes, which are evil aligned demiplanes controlled by a demon. You even fight a Balor in one of them!

luj1

You're all shills
Vatnik
The game will also feature some sort of equivalent to Kingmaker's kingdom management layer, which I guess is now an Owlcat trademark.

It's very unfortunate to replace traditional quests structure with poorly designed minigames. Feature bloat is a real problem.

jac8awol

Arbiter
hexer
While Kingmaker was one of the best, Wrath of the Righteous is pretty low. Current year tranny NPCs, railroading, and deities who smite you if you step out of line all tied to a horrifically broken subsystem. It's also by far the AP that is most difficult to work evil options into since it's all about LG crusaders fighting demons (Even Hell's Rebels, the other "oppose evil outsiders AP", could easily add some options to make the Silver Ravens use IRA tactics).

Hmm, SJW topics, railroading and annoying deities... Why does it sound so familiar? Are you guys ready for Pathfinders of Eternity?

Just kidding, this is a day one purchase for me. Owlcat are bros, they know what they're doing.

okay so steady decline from Kangmaker's ruskie makers.

First of all not Turn Based - major bummer
Second of all the new classes ? Yeah already modded into Kangmaker in Eldritch Arcana and Call of the Wild mods.
Third of all - ABSOLUTE SHIT ADVENTURE PATH. Why could they not go with something more palatable and sandboxy like skulls & shackles?

Of course I will wait a couple of years until the first two bummers are fixed by mods and get to play the actual beta version instead of half-baked alpha release for kangmaker

Gay-Lussac

Arcane
Pathfinder mythic is different than D&D epic. a 5th level character could have mythic levels in pathfinder. Wrath of righteous is definitely one of the best adventure paths. Enjoyed the first, but this time I am definatly going to wait for the Turn based Mod before I play this game.

I can't fathom playing one of the RtwP games with a turn based conversion. I gave it a spin on Pillars 2 and, while the system itself wasn't bad, the game's pacing clearly isn't built for it. Several minutes to get through a random mob of critters makes for a tedious experience.

It probably also extends the playing time considerably and there's only so much time I can devote to a single game.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Pathfinder mythic is different than D&D epic. a 5th level character could have mythic levels in pathfinder. Wrath of righteous is definitely one of the best adventure paths. Enjoyed the first, but this time I am definatly going to wait for the Turn based Mod before I play this game.
I think you're the first person at this forum to say anything good about the Wrath. Would you care to elaborate on that? Why exactly do you believe it to be one of the best adventure paths?

jerfdr

Educated
I think you're the first person at this forum to say anything good about the Wrath. Would you care to elaborate on that? Why exactly do you believe it to be one of the best adventure paths?

To add another opinion, here is a brief review of the AP courtesy of Reddit user ToModera (he owns the books for all Pathfinder APs, has read all of them, and DMed many of them):

Wrath of the Righteous
Good:
  • Mythic rules
  • Very much about the players
  • Feels epic
  • Allows for some stellar good characters. Or even evil characters.
  • Remember all the bad with Jade Empire, with NPC's being in the way? This fixes all of that.
Bad:
  • If you hate "You're the chosen ones" type games, run. Fast
  • High level play. You have to be prepared. Which means you need to know the Mythic Rules.
  • High level play. Which means your players have to be prepared, and some classes (Alchemist) don’t synergize as well.
  • There are some moments where the players are being directed just a tad too much
  • I’ve read it’s super easy mode once you get past some of the TPKs.
General Information
  • Balance of RP to Fights: Decent balance, though don't expect to talk your way out of too many fights. Depends on the DM’s view of if Demons can be saved, etc.
  • Good to Read by itself: Yes. Somewhat hard at times, but it explores a region that is very interesting.
  • Main type of game: The Crusades... without that troublesome moral ambiguity
  • Lots of Travel or Staying in one place? It's mostly central to one city.

Wrath of the Righteous is his fourth-favourite AP out of all Pathfinder APs (for comparison, Kingmaker is his sixth-favourite one).

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

I can't fathom playing one of the RtwP games with a turn based conversion. I gave it a spin on Pillars 2 and, while the system itself wasn't bad, the game's pacing clearly isn't built for it. Several minutes to get through a random mob of critters makes for a tedious experience.

It probably also extends the playing time considerably and there's only so much time I can devote to a single game.

I usually use RTWP for the trash fights (of which KM has many), and turn on turn based for more significant encounters.

I do agree though, I wish the game had been designed for TB from the start with less trash fights.

Ol'man

Educated
High hopes. The TB mod for kingmaker, made by one guy, is so great they should just mail him some vodka and incorparate it.

"B-but so many units TB won't w-work".

Literally make it a hot key, on/off, like the mod, and get the best of both worlds.

abnaxus

Arcane
Patron
BKofwp4.jpg

ArchAngel

Arcane
What are "Mythic rules", something like prestige classes and the related high level powers?
They are additional levels in special Mythic class you choose in addition to your standard class. The game will have its own version of Mythic powers than what P&P has.

ikarinokami

Augur
I enjoyed playing that adventure path, I've been playing dungeon and dragons since 1985, so I love the old school adventure paths, like wrath, and giantslayer. I also enjoyed playing, reign of winter, council of thieves and curse of crimson throne. I don't need to play evil character, or some wierd narrative structure in Dungeon and Dragon/Pathfinder tabletop adventure RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom