Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
That's probably where she found it.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
All the people who thought I was a shill for saying this game might not sell as much as the first one right now:
source.gif

But hey, chin up, she just wrote the first chapter out of six.
r5scHw8.png

PrettyDeadman

Can't wait to multiclass Anevia into Slayer and chose BIGOTS and WHITE MALES as her studied targets (favored enemies).
What other classes will work well with that build?

Ulfhednar

Savant
That being said, praise Torag.

That reminds me to say another issue with this AP: The background traits

One of the traits winds up making a character a deity's kid. Race has no impact on this, so Humans can be Torag's kid (Torag actually has plenty of human followers and a dwarf wife), Elves that were born before Iomadae became a deity can be her kid divine spawn, the traditionalist Erastil will have a kid out of wedlock. ect.

The book is very explicit that all of this is actually completely and utterly pointless, to the point you meet a deity after finding out and there's absolutely nothing about how it changes things.

giphy.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
If they throw the original module's writing out the window, this has a chance to be very good, but I guess I'm being fabulously optimistic.

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I warned you guys about this in the 2016 SOD thread.

Fortunately, Scott only wrote the first part of the AP, and none of her progressive fantasy characters are massively important in the long run.

I'd be more concerned about the fact the Mythic progression system is completely shit, and just dumb power creep. Hopefully Owlcat can salvage something from it.

rashiakas

Cipher
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
It looks like they change it a lot, and also like only the MC will be mythic wich is a good way to handle it.

Kyl Von Kull

The Night Tripper
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
If they throw the original module's writing out the window, this has a chance to be very good, but I guess I'm being fabulously optimistic.

On the contrary, there’s really not much to throw out the window in the first place. These modules are full of third person exposition; other than a few lines here or there, most NPC interactions are left up to the DM.

Sentence for sentence, the vast bulk of the writing in Kingmaker was original to Owlcat and not taken from the adventure path (there‘s little to take). The stuff about the trans lesbian in the first Wrath of the Righteous module is meant as background information for the DM, the same way that the first Kingmaker module contains a bunch of background info on Oleg and his wife. They didn’t transcribe that shit directly into the game, they wrote their own dialogue.

I just read through the first WotR module. There’s one lengthy speech (pretty much written as third person exposition) two letters, and that’s about it. Owlcat’s gotta compose everything else themselves. They’re good at that.

Xeon

Augur
Someone posted this, seems pretty good. some repeated info as well tho.
Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous

* The sequel is officially Announced. It is Wrath of the Righteous.
* Given Oleg's discussion of Kickstarter at Big Deal, it is likely that there will be another Kickstarter. It took half a year to go from absolute nothing to a vertical slice in Kingmaker's dev cycle. And another half a year to go from there to Kickstarter readiness. And then around half a year to get from there to Alpha 1. and 10 months in alpha to get to Beta. and 2 months to go from Beta to Full game. It seems likely, given that timeline, that we will get a Kickstarter soon; though no official word has been stated on this subject.
* Owlcat is now an Independent Studio, but received a $1 Mil investment from My.com to make the game.
* The official Website allows you to Sign up for a Mailing List and Get a Free digital Copy of the Kingmaker Artbook

So what do we know about Pathfinder: Wrath of The Righteous, the Computer Game?

The Overall Game:

* Wrath will be based off the same First Edition rules as Kingmaker, This will include Mythic Rules, though they seem to have been reworked a bit.
* The game will be on an Updated version of the Unity Engine, and Owlcat has cleared up a lot of technical debt, so it should be easier to program, with less bugs. It is my understanding that this new ease of programming should help carry over to the modding scene.
* No release Date has been Disclosed, but it seems likely that it's not coming out until 2020, at least.

The Source Material:

Wrath of the Righteous is an Adventure Path where the central Premise is that a Demon Lord is slowly invading the World of Golarion (the same world as Kingmaker) and is trying to make Golarion part of their Realm in the Abyss. Several Crusades have been launched to stop this, they all failed. Now, It's your turn, and if you don't succeed this time? The world is doomed. To Succeed, you need to lead a Crusade, murder a Demon Lord, and Close the Portal to the Abyss. Something happens early on, that gives you "Mythic Power" a Power way beyond that of your standard adventurer that lets you "Break the rules" of normal Pathfinder in specific fun ways. Of course, you aren't the only one with Mythic Power. Your Enemies have it too.

The Hook:

There are a couple of Possible Hooks for Wrath. The First and most obvious is Mythic Power. Mythic Power is a system with very loud Proponents and detractors in Tabletop, but the main gripe with it is that it's hard for a GM to balance properly, and it's really hard to run on tabletop. Neither should be an issue for a Computer RPG where the program manages your problems.

The second Possible Hook is Mass Combat. Mass Combat Appears in a total of 3 APs. It was Introduced in Kingmaker, It shows up in Wrath, and it shows up in Ironfang Invasion. Given that Mass Combat was one of the Goals that Owlcat Wanted to reach with Kingmaker? I'd lay good money down that we'll be seeing Mass Combat in Wrath.

Finally, Since the underlying engine is the same (if updated), it seems likely that we'll be seeing more of the Kingdom Building system. In Wrath you need to lead a Crusade. It probably wouldn't take all that much effort to adapt the kingdom management system to a "Crusade Management System."

As yet only Mythic Power has been confirmed. It seems to have been Adapted by Owlcat similarly to the Skill System in Kingmaker.

* "The Mythic] system will let you pick from several different Mythics, including a mischievous trickster, an immortal Lich, a celestial angel, and others."
* When Questioned devs said that they had reworked the Mythic system so that it was more powerful. Both why and how are unknown at this time.

The Mechanics:

The Game should play very similarly to Kingmaker, and will likely be Real Time With Pause unless something major happened that convinced the Owlcats that they should change the entire underlying system for their extremely well-selling game based on some vocal detractors.

* We're getting the Kingmaker classes, plus Witch and Oracle. "There will be new ones beyond those that appeared in Kingmaker, and there’s also going to be a new race and new archetypes to play with."
*There is a Mongrelman on the Key Art. Mongrelmen are a Friendly monster race in Wrath, so this may be a case like Goblins in Kingmaker, where you can have a Mongrelman companion but cannot be a mongrelman.

The Characters:

* Seelah, the Iconic Paladin, is a Companion as per the key Art revealed in the reveal campaign, and confirmed by Devs. She will be "The only Iconic in the party."
* There is a White Haired Gnome on the Box Art. She may or may not be a companion.
*The angel man on the revealed art is The Player Character.
* There is What looks like a Bleachling Gnome Hellknight on the Revealed art. He is a Companion. His name has been (jokingly) revealed as "Stabby McStabface". This is likely an alias.
* The Succubus Arueshalae is on the Revealed art. It is unknown as to what role she will play, but only Companions were on the Kingmaker Reveal art, so she is likely a Companion. In Tabletop, she was explicitly Romanceable, so she is likely a romance option.
* There is a Mongrelman on the reveal art. This is Lann, an important NPC from the first book of Wrath.
*Irabeth Tirabade and her wife Annevia are confirmed to be in the game. It is unknown in what capacity.
* Wrath has an Extremely large Cast of friendly NPC characters. It is likely that some of these will become Companions, and that some will get cut. We're probably also getting some Original companions.
*Characters from Kingmaker will make an appearance. No Word on what characters, or who, or how, or why.

Miscellaneous stuff:
*Alexander Mishulin, Owlcat's Creative Director, promised fewer bugs on release. He mentioned new Narrative Tools. These were revealed on Discord as being "Etudes" Instead of on/off variables in the narrative tree, Etudes apparently offer multi-set variables. This allows more freedom to make complicated choices without creating a terrifying tangle of code. Not being a Programmer, that's all I got out of the explanation.
* "Players of the original adventure path will encounter a lot of familiar faces and encounters, but [there] also will be new characters, twists, and stories"
*The game will be Darker in Visual Style and Tone.
* Chris Avellone is back on board lending a hand and supporting the narrative team as he did with Pathfinder: Kingmaker.
* Owlcat is working to make the game more User-Friendly for Players unfamiliar with the Pathfinder System.

Console Ports

* We are Getting PS4, X-Box One, And Nintendo Switch Ports, according to This Financial Report.
* Oleg the studio head announced at Big Deal Game Conference that while dates are tentative, the port is expected either late 2019, or early 2020.
* A suspicious survey arrived in April 2019, asking about Console Ports, Companion AI, and Turn-Based Modes.
* UI usability improvements will be available in Enhanced Edition. and the UI is being adapted for the console release.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
I have never played or read any Pathfinder stuff, but based on what they did with Kingmaker, and despite some pozziness, it was still very well made, even the "pozz"-stuff was tolerable, and them having said that they're retooling/refining/etc Wrath of the Righteous, I'm willing to give them benefit of the doubt...for now.

PrettyDeadman

Because people didn't believe it.

Let's hope he writes the succubus companion.

On how many sequels to the games MCA originally worked he was invited to work again?
Makes you think.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
Makes sense. Ride the high while you can. I wonder what Owlcat team must've felt when they realized literal nobodies without even a Wiki page outdid genre veterans like Obsidian.

:stunned:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom