Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Red Dead Redemption 2 - now available on PC

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I bet you'll come back cursing in disappointment after... hmm... 7 hours.
If you are strictly playing for atmosphere, acting, writing and production values, I doubt it.
That's exactly how I played Witcher 3 and that's exactly how I enjoyed it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But I quit after half hour and uninstalled. Either something is wrong with the game or my 4 year old rig is just not up to the task (i5, RX480). It does this "jerking" thing, dunno how to describe this - while moving around the game dashes and stops, dashes and stops, not much but just to be noticeable and unbearable after a while, instead of a completely fluid movement. A shame but I was planning to buy a new rig next year anyway so I'm saving this baby and playing it on Ultra with all the bells and whistles in a few months.

Do you mean it's stuttering/freezing for a fraction of a second? If yes, then it's both. It's not super friendly to older PCs, but it could be a better port, like i.e. GTA V.

I'm playing it on my laptop bought a year ago, i5-8300h, GTX 1050 non-ti 4gb, 8gb ram. If I crank the settings up to a medium mixture (usual suspects like volumetrics on low, water physics which makes your game stutter even on a desert, off, then some stuff on ultra etc), I have the same issue (assuming it's the same one) despite the fact that I get this average 30fps. Now I turned down things like shadow quality to low, and when I get 35-40 fps the stuttering finally 99% disappeared.

If you guys have 4 core processors, or less than 8 threads, that's probably why. The game ain't friendly to 4 core processors and many tech sites/channels are saying it's the latest example of 4 core processors being dead for newer games. Lots of hitches and pauses because games now are designed around more threads.

Also you can't compare it to GTA5 because that game came out many years ago and was designed for the Xbox 360 for heaven's sake.

If you guys have 4 core processors, or less than 8 threads, that's probably why. The game ain't friendly to 4 core processors and many tech sites/channels are saying it's the latest example of 4 core processors being dead for newer games. Lots of hitches and pauses because games now are designed around more threads.

Right now I changed Vulkan to DirectX 12 and the stutters in Saint Denis are 100% gone :lol:

I also had to do it in .txt edit in Documents/Settings since changing it in-game forces the refresh rate to 1 instead of 60 :prosper:

Also you can't compare it to GTA5 because that game came out many years ago and was designed for the Xbox 360 for heaven's sake.

But I can compare the quality of a port, which has nothing to do with it. The fact there are years between Rockstar games, doesn't change the fact that the port of GTA5 is better than the port of GTA4.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The fact they never ported red dead red 1 because they didn't know how shows they must have outsourced the gta5 port.

Silva

Arcane
If you are strictly playing for atmosphere, acting, writing and production values, I doubt it.
You mean if he plays it as a storyfag, just following the linear missions while ignoring all the rest?

I stand by my bet. Okay, he will go a bit farther than if he were focusing just on living the outbacks surviving, hunting, cooking and site seeing. I give him 12 hours.

cvv please post back here when you drop the game.

sullynathan

Arcane
You mean if he plays it as a storyfag, just following the linear missions while ignoring all the rest?

I stand by my bet. Okay, he will go a bit farther than if he were focusing just on living the outbacks surviving, hunting, cooking and site seeing. I give him 12 hours.

cvv please post back here when you drop the game.
Listen, RDR2 has some great hunting and bounty hunting missions. I spent the majority of my time doing that.
cvv is a story fag so yeah, you'r probably right.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
The only thing you should be doing is robbing stagecoaches and trains.

Silva

Arcane
Why?

Why hunt if by the second map you have all food in the world?

Why bounty hunt and rob stage coats if by second map you have all the money in the world?

Why search for new clothes/guns/gizmos if their effects are null?

Why?

That's the point. All world interactions are innocuous, as the main story will get you enough money and food and upgrades by the second map? This is no Stalker Misery or NEO scavenger or Witcher 3, that makes you sweat for resources, this game open-world is a fucking western THEME PARK you morons.

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
This is no Stalker Misery or Autumn Aurora that makes you sweat for resources, this is a fucking western THEME PARK you morons.
Exactly, dumbass. In the wild west, you rob and shoot people. Fuck's sake, if that isn't enough then quit playing.

sullynathan

Arcane
Why?

Why hunt if by the second map you have all food in the world?

Why bounty hunt and rob stage coats if by second map you have all the money in the world?

Why?

That's the point. All world interactions are innocuous, as the main story will get you enough money and food and upgrades by the second map? This is no Stalker Misery or Autumn Aurora that makes you sweat for resources, this is a fucking western THEME PARK you morons.
As usual, when I play open world games, I do side activities over the main story first. Hunting for animals and getting "random" events to ugrade your items or get clothes, or just for the hell of it is quite engaging in this game.

I never did rob stagecoats, I either forgot or didn't know you could outside of scripted story missions. I did rob store owners, people and bandits, the game has an interesting way with how this works.

I borrowed this from a friend recently. Rockstar has been having a pretty big problem lately, and RDR2 is the worst case of it, which is that the sandbox aspects of the game (the actual interesting shit) is completely at odds with the storytelling side of the game. Problem is their games are so fucking successful I'm not sure this problem will ever be something they fix.

The game also incentives you to engage with the scripted story stuff more than the interesting sandbox stuff by rewarding you far more for doing the story stuff than the sandbox stuff. Hunting is pretty nice in this game. In some spots you don't even really need the tracking vision because the footprints or whatever are actually clearly showing up on the ground. But hunting is a chore that nets you next to nothing. You barely get any money from it. You can't stow shit for shit. You don't need to eat so you're not hunting for that reason. You can use the meat you get to heal, but I've been so flushed with healing items like canned beans I don't see any reason to do that. The only real reason to hunt really seems to be to feed the camp, but that gets back to the stowing thing, which makes it an annoyance because you'll have to go out multiple times to get as much meat as you need to get the camp into the green. The hunting in this makes me wish they made wagons something you could own, so you could carry more than one fucking deer at a time.

The camp is also a huge giant missed opportunity. What it should have been is a more advanced freeform version of the heist from GTA5. A place where you have a pool of characters with different skill sets and personalities that you pick for different jobs you go on, with a set of different missions types like bank and train robberies where you can set up how you want to approach whatever thing. Instead it's just a hub area you get missions from, and weirdly it has even less options than even the GTA5 heist.

Bounties, at least what I've experienced of them, are even less interested than in the previous Red Dead. Previously they were like these bad little arenas, in a right world Rockstar would have learned something from MGSV and the Bounty missions would be in areas where the player can attack the mission however they wish...but I guess that takes a level of planning in level layout they don't wish to engage in. Now Bounties just seem to be these boring scripted events. I think every one but one so far has worked by going up to the bounty and triggering an event where you talk to them before you have to chase them down, or in one instance it triggered a dual.

It's very weird to me that you're unable to go prone, especially since you can dive while shooting, and there's some stealth sections. It's also funny to me because the trailer seemed to have some Django Unchained stuff, and a big part of the big shootout in Django Unchained is Django using a guys body as cover as he's prone on the ground.

How on rails the missions are is so fucking annoying. Yesterday I was doing this mission that ended in a barn burning down. When it goes bad, which is basically the beginning of the mission, you and your group are chased down by a bunch of guys on horses. What the game wants you to do is ride off with your group as you shoot the people behind you. What I did was loop around the guys chasing me and shot them all in the back as they chased after the rest of the group. Despite killing them all I failed the mission because my group were slightly too far ahead of me. And this was just ever so slightly ahead of me, as they were still visible. Then I got to the barn, and I couldn't leave the barn despite having a place cleared because the game really wants me to be in the barn when it burns down.

The inventory and clothing system sucks. The weather system means you should just have a quick little way to put on and take off clothes. All I really need is some way to quickly put a jacket on, or remove a layer of clothing if it's too hot. Instead the game has some stupid whole outfit system that might accidentally leave you without what you need for a specific region. This seems like the dumbest of fuck ups because in trying to reinvent the wheel they created maybe the worst way to equip something I can think of. Funny thing is it seems to have been done in the name of immersion, but it doesn't add any kind of immersion at all. A simpler more practical way of doing what they seemed to be going for is how Monster Hunter World takes care of things like ghilie mantles, would've looked cooler too to actually see your character put their jacket on.

The melee system in this game is also fucking terrible. Now you'd think in a third person shooter this might not be too much of a problem, but it feels like the game is always asking you to engage in it's melee system. I feel like at least a third of the missions I've been on so far rope me into some kind of fistfight. So far the debt collection missions, if they have any kind of combat at all, seem to just be an excuse to get you into a fistfight.

Last edited:

Silva

Arcane
I borrowed this from a friend recently. Rockstar has been having a pretty big problem lately, and RDR2 is the worst case of it, which is that the sandbox aspects of the game (the actual interesting shit) is completely at odds with the storytelling side of the game. Problem is their games are so fucking successful I'm not sure this problem will ever be something they fix.

The game also incentives you to engage with the scripted story stuff more than the interesting sandbox stuff by rewarding you far more for doing the story stuff than the sandbox stuff. Hunting is pretty nice in this game. In some spots you don't even really even need the tracking vision because the footprints or whatever are actually clearly showing up on the ground. But hunting is a chore that nets you next to nothing. You barely get any money from it. You can't stow shit for shit. You don't need to eat so you're not hunting for that reason. You can use the meat you get to heal, but I've been so flushed with healing items like canned beans I don't see any reason to do that. The only real reason to hunt really seems to be to feed the camp, but that gets back to the stowing thing, which makes it an annoyance because you'll have to go out multiple times to get as much meat as you need to get the camp into the green. The hunting in this makes me wish they made wagons something you could own, so you could carry more than one fucking deer at a time.

The camp is also a huge giant missed opportunity. What it should have been is a more advanced freeform version of the heist from GTA5. A place where you have a pool of characters with different skill sets and personalities that you pick for different jobs you go on, with a set of different missions types like bank and train robberies where you can set up how you want to approach whatever thing. Instead it's just a hub area you get missions from, and weirdly it has even less options than even the GTA5 heist.

Bounties, at least what I've experienced of them, are even less interested than in the previous Red Dead. Previously they were like these bad little arenas, in a right world Rockstar would have learned something from MGSV and the Bounty missions would be in areas where the player can attack the mission however they wish...but I guess that takes a level of planning in level layout they don't wish to engage in. Now Bounties just seem to be these boring scripted events. I think every one but one so far has worked by going up to the bounty and triggering an event where you talk to them before you have to chase them down, or in one instance it trigger a dual.

It's very weird to me that you're unable to go prone, especially since you can dive while shooting, and there's some stealth sections. It's also funny to me because the trailer seemed to have some Django Unchained stuff, and a big part of the big shootout in Django Unchained is Django using a guys body as cover as he's prone on the ground.

How on rails the missions are is so fucking annoying. Yesterday I was doing this mission that ended in a barn burning down. When it goes bad, which is basically the beginning of the mission, you and your group are chased down by a bunch of guys on horses. What the game wants you to do is ride off with your group as you shoot the people behind you. What I did was loop around the guys chasing me and shot them all in the back as they chased after the rest of the group. Despite killing them all I failed the mission because my group were slightly too far ahead of me. And this was just ever so slightly ahead of me, as they were still visible. Then I got to the barn, and I couldn't leave the barn despite having a place cleared because the game really wants me to be in the barn when it burns down.

The inventory and clothing system sucks. The weather system means you should just have a quick little way to put on and take off clothes. All I really need is some way to quickly put a jacket on, or remove a layer of clothing if it's too hot. Instead the game has some stupid whole outfit system that might accidentally leave you without what you need for a specific region. This seems like the dumbest of fuck ups because in trying to reinvent the wheel they created maybe the worst way to equip something I can think of. Funny thing is it seems to have been done in the name of immersion, but it doesn't add any kind of immersion at all. A simpler more practical way of doing what they seemed to be going for is how Monster Hunter World takes care of things like ghilie mantles, would've looked cooler too to actually see your character put their jacket on.

The melee system in this game is also fucking terrible. Now you'd think in a third person shooter this might not be too much of a problem, but it feels like the game is always asking you to engage in it's melee system. I feel like at least a third of the missions I've been on so far rope me into some kind of fistfight. So far the debt collection missions, if they have any kind of combat at all, seem to just be an excuse to get you into a fistfight.
Finally someone sane. Thanks bro. cvv If you don't want to listen to me, then listen to this guy.

Ignore Sully, he is senile and limp.

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
But I can compare the quality of a port, which has nothing to do with it. The fact there are years between Rockstar games, doesn't change the fact that the port of GTA5 is better than the port of GTA4.

What does "better" mean in this case? I'm running RDR2 just as well as I ran GTA5 on the same kind of mid-range rig. Maybe GTA5 was better on older machines, I wouldn't know, but I think a lot of the "RDR2 is so poorly optimized!!!" screams are from people unwilling to turn a few settings down. Again, the Xbox One X version... the best console version... ran at 30fps on a mix of low and medium.

What does "better" mean in this case?
I'm running RDR2 just as well as I ran GTA5 on the same kind of mid-range rig.

They keep showering me with apology gifts in RDO so even they admit it :P

Maybe GTA5 was better on older machines, I wouldn't know, but I think a lot of the "RDR2 is so poorly optimized!!!" screams are from people unwilling to turn a few settings down. Again, the Xbox One X version... the best console version... ran at 30fps on a mix of low and medium.

I don't deny that my laptop for 2020 AAA mainstream games will be potato-tier perhaps, but I get infuriated when I get issues, that people with weaker laptops on YouTube don't run into.

There are just way too many problems in that PC version to call it a "nice port", optimization nonwithstanding. My bet is Xbox One X version doesn't crash with a ERR_GFX_STATE, drain my cores faster when framerates spike or makes DX12 shit itself left to right.

Doesn't it regularly crash for you as well after a few hours?

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Doesn't it regularly crash for you as well after a few hours?

Not since last patch. They said it was a memory leak they fixed.

I'm not saying the game didn't have issues. It sounds like the launch was pretty bad, tech-wise. I started like 3 patches in so it was a lot better for me. I'm solely talking about performance. I get irritated when people on older computers, using too high of settings, scream that something is poorly optimized. I believe that kind of thing is why so few games have higher tier options for future gameplay, because if people can't max it RIGHT NOW they get pissed. Sounds like you're being more realistic though, so sorry if I was triggered into being a douche. tl;dr it runs great on a 2070 and Ryzen 3600.

Silva

Arcane
The game also incentives you to engage with the scripted story stuff more than the interesting sandbox stuff by rewarding you far more for doing the story stuff than the sandbox stuff. Hunting is pretty nice in this game. In some spots you don't even really need the tracking vision because the footprints or whatever are actually clearly showing up on the ground. But hunting is a chore that nets you next to nothing. You barely get any money from it. You can't stow shit for shit. You don't need to eat so you're not hunting for that reason. You can use the meat you get to heal, but I've been so flushed with healing items like canned beans I don't see any reason to do that
Worst: the only reason for hunting - food - can be gained easily in the camp after a couple upgrades, turning the whole thing moot.

Despite the gruff voice and demeanor, Arthur is a Nutella Cowboy. He never really faces the threat of starvation or freezing or being outgunned while in the wilds, because he's always a couple minutes from DADDY'S HOUSE (the camp) to feed, get some clothes and ammo and easy jobs for money.

And this extends to the whole game. Gunfighing is threatening at first... until you realize its banally easy and you're always one reload away of trying again anyway. Bounty hunting? Cool at first until you realize you'll never get broke because DADDY'S HOUSE is over there with all the money you need, so why traverse all the map for these scripted bounties anyway? Those cool gadgets and gizmos? Not mandatory and the ones available in DADDY' HOUSE are enough to finish the game anyway.

DADDY, CAN'T HUNT AND I'M HUNGRY! GIMME MY PAP DADDY!

DADDY, I WANT NEW CLOTHES! GIMME MY ALLOWANCE DADDY!

:lol:

Last edited:

Mebrilia the Viera Queen

I finished the game and had me in tears. On writing atmosphere and soundtrack but even in the overall detail rockstar did really a fantastic job. Heck i enjoyed the story of this game and the characters way more than Witcher 3.
I played the game with my GF at home and after the ending me and her could not stop the tears.

It is a beautiful game and a fresh surprise i am glad it released on pc.

Just out of curiosity, why you game on laptops? I don't think a mid-tier desktop is drastically more expensive than a gaming laptop.
Let's say you don't have a desktop or that your desktop's a complete toaster or you just don't want one for whatever reason, but you need a laptop for work and since 2017 you can find decent gaming-capable laptops for only $200-300 more than a decent word processing laptop.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Just out of curiosity, why you game on laptops? I don't think a mid-tier desktop is drastically more expensive than a gaming laptop.
Let's say you don't have a desktop or that your desktop's a complete toaster or you just don't want one for whatever reason, but you need a laptop for work and since 2017 you can find decent gaming-capable laptops for only $200-300 more than a decent word processing laptop.
Yeah if you can't use desktop for work because you travel while working AND your employer doesn't provide you one (highly unusual nowadays) AND you can't reasonably afford both a cheap laptop and a desktop I can see that point.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Worst: the only reason for hunting - food - can be gained easily in the camp after a couple upgrades, turning the whole thing moot.

Despite the gruff voice and demeanor, Arthur is a Nutella Cowboy. He never really faces the threat of starvation or freezing or being outgunned while in the wilds, because he's always a couple minutes from DADDY'S HOUSE (the camp) to feed, get some clothes and ammo and easy jobs for money.

It's not supposed to be a survival game. All that stuff is there for LARPing, like it or not and setting the mood. Like I said, all you guys said about the game (bounty missions, on rails, no real danger, hunting, being flooded with money) is true, but it's still a great game.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom