Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Heh, what was said at all the times? "We are holding back content for surprises when the game gets released".
More likely there never was more content than what was shown in the BackerBuilds.

You think only Kickstarter games cut content and change shit? You think games paid by publishers always end up exactly the way they were planned?

Gollop is stupid not because he didn't deliver on what he promised but because he made any specific promises in the first place. Sure, if you're on Kickstarter, you have to offer people SOME kind of roadmap but you should always keep the specificity to a bare minimum because, as Daniel Vavra said, making a game is not a factory production, it's more like research and development and you're always mobbed by surprises and unforseen obstacles.

Now it's entirely possible they cut content in the vanilla with the intention of selling it as DLCs. But it's more likely they just ran out of time, money, talent or they did it while polishing and balancing the game. Or a hundred other possible reasons.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Game is out? I haven't followed dev at all for like two years. What am I getting for my backer $? Should I be excited to finally play this? Share your feelings.

Mazisky

Magister
Game is out? I haven't followed dev at all for like two years. What am I getting for my backer $? Should I be excited to finally play this? Share your feelings.

To sum up critics and users opinion:

Pros:

-Deep gameplay
-Good strategy layer
-Nice art

Cons:

-Bad graphics
-Few and repetitive maps
-Feels rushed and unpolished
-Not enough different from Nuxcom

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

I'd say wait a year. Not because of muh Steam but because you should always wait a year with playing p. much anything nowadays. Just a good rule of thumb in this day and age.

Alpharius

Scholar
I don't know why some guys, while comparing this to Xcom 2, criticize its bugs: they forgot that Xcom 2 was a shitty messy pile of bugs and glitches at launch. It took months to fix them.
Cause thats design flaws, not bugs. There is no good way to "fix" random pieces of cover blocking overwatch shots that looked as though they should have been possible. They'd have to either "disable" all cover in a certain radius from a shooter (which would lead to i can shoot you, but you cant shoot me problem) or make all cover convex or something.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron

Sounds like it's nuXCOM+, so YMMV. I'm planning on waiting because it sounds like there's an enjoyable game under predictable rough release-edges.

PanteraNera

Arcane
Heh, what was said at all the times? "We are holding back content for surprises when the game gets released".
More likely there never was more content than what was shown in the BackerBuilds.

You think only Kickstarter games cut content and change shit? You think games paid by publishers always end up exactly the way they were planned?

Gollop is stupid not because he didn't deliver on what he promised but because he made any specific promises in the first place. Sure, if you're on Kickstarter, you have to offer people SOME kind of roadmap but you should always keep the specificity to a bare minimum because, as Daniel Vavra said, making a game is not a factory production, it's more like research and development and you're always mobbed by surprises and unforseen obstacles.

Now it's entirely possible they cut content in the vanilla with the intention of selling it as DLCs. But it's more likely they just ran out of time, money, talent or they did it while polishing and balancing the game. Or a hundred other possible reasons.
Well, at least to me it is bad business to get people excited for something that you are not going to deliver.
And there is a lot of stuff they talked about (even in recent "news",not to mention Fig) that are missing in the RC.

Am I suprised? Not at all. I expected this to turn out as it did. It's basically Backer Build 6 and the backer builds were pre-alpha.

So we will see in a year what this game might become :lol: if ever.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I don't know why some guys, while comparing this to Xcom 2, criticize its bugs: they forgot that Xcom 2 was a shitty messy pile of bugs and glitches at launch. It took months to fix them.
Don't lie :P
It took an expansion to fix it. Base Xcom 2 game is the most shitty, buggy piece of shit software I ever played. And I am only talking about its engine and bugs.
No it's not. The title of " most shitty, buggy piece of software" clearly goes to Underworld Ascendant. Period.
That is why I wrote "I ever played" .

Mazisky

Magister
It took an expansion to fix it. Base Xcom 2 game is the most shitty, buggy piece of shit software I ever played. And I am only talking about its engine and bugs.
No it's not. The title of " most shitty, buggy piece of software" clearly goes to Underworld Ascendant. Period.

To be fair I think it's also the unpredictability of this genre with many parts interacting with each other that makes all prone to bugs. Games such Ufo defense or Silent Storm were a buggy mess too.

flyingjohn

Arcane

To be fair I think it's also the unpredictability of this genre with many parts interacting with each other that makes all prone to bugs. Games such Ufo defense or Silent Storm were a buggy mess too.
Tactical squad games are the easiest genre of strategy to program something with a small amount of bugs.
The reason the genre is know for bugs is because most of the studios making them are indie or aa and don't have enough competent programmers.Or firaxis.
If Gollop tried to make a city builder you would be lucky enough to play the game for 5 minutes without crashing.

ArchAngel

Arcane

This is a game I expect from Bethesda, this game is like the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones.
:salute:

His whole argument is that this game sucks because it is not like new Xcom. In his own words new Xcom is a big step forward for Xcom genre and PP is a step back. This guy would be a true Codexer if Codex was based around worshiping popamole games instead of incline ones.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Also people today are such retards and fake. I guess everyone chooses to forget that nuXcom 1 at release was a huge bug fest. It had a huge campaign ending bug (it ended one of my ironman campaigns) where enemy units would teleport into the middle of your squad, activate and shoot... and it took them months to fix that shit. At release more than 50% of shots were through walls and shit, I remember people shitting on the game a lot because of that.

This is a game where outside combat you had 4 same events per month (ufo, council, terror, abduction) and a few main missions here and there. Where the whole difficulty of the game disappeared in month 3 as soon as your snipers got 2 levels and you could take 6 people into maps. Where map pool was tiny and you would run into same maps in single campaign.. Fuck these retards!

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
His whole argument is that this game sucks because it is not like new Xcom. In his own words new Xcom is a big step forward for Xcom genre and PP is a step back. This guy would be a true Codexer if Codex was based around worshiping popamole games instead of incline ones.
Phoenix Point sucks by its own merits and nothing more. The statement "this is the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones" is simply true, NuXCom or not.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Phoenix Point sucks by its own merits and nothing more. The statement "this is the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones" is simply true, NuXCom or not.
Not sure why you think that. Care to give any specific arguments instead of talking out of your ass? And game being Epic Store exclusive is not a proper argument, you can always piratebay it if you don't want to use that store. Also its creators promising stuff in Fig but not having it at release is also not a valid argument.

Talk about gameplay and game itself, not its creators.

I find it hilarious that you and Panteranera that shit on all the close to nuXcom mechanics are now bashing PP based on a video from a NuXcom biggest fan (read retard). You are just making yourself look bad by using arguments from a retard.

Xeon

Augur
Beagle hated XCOM2, not sure about WotC but before he hated. Even now I don't think he streams it, he mostly streams the first XCOM.

Anyway Phoenix seems to be either love it or hate it kind of game, a lot of other streamers and players as well seem to dislike it and others seem to be defending it.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Anyway Phoenix seems to be either love it or hate it kind of game, a lot of other streamers and players as well seem to dislike it and others seem to be defending it.

I haven't seen any streamers to outright hate it, I checked a couple and they either enjoy it or just play it without being either excited or disappointed.

Btw anyone follows Cohh? I know he started the game but I haven't watched his VODs yet. (Altho you can't really expect negativity from him.)

Modron

Arcane
The codex isn't?

Xeon

Augur
Cohh talked about Phoenix Point in the Drop Frame podcast he does with Itmejp and Zeke.

He is still going to play it.

Mazisky

Magister
I am so surprised that everyone is talking shit about the soundtrack, i was expecting more by the same composer of the Ufo defense ost, since it's one of my favourite of all times :negative:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I am so surprised that everyone is talking shit about the soundtrack, i was expecting more by the same composer of the Ufo defense ost, since it's one of my favourite of all times :negative:
Soundtrack is much better than new Xcoms, people are just used to that shit.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Cohh talked about Phoenix Point in the Drop Frame podcast he does with Itmejp and Zeke.

He is still going to play it.
When it comes to xcom likes cohh is a casual. Even worse he is a retard casual because he started PP on hardest difficulty and ran into some difficult enemies and then complained about design when it was all his fault

ArchAngel

Arcane
Soundtrack is much better than new Xcoms, people are just used to that shit.

LoL, Wotc soundtrack is awesome, what are you talking about
I don't remember it at all and I doubt I would recognize it. I cannot say the same for UFO soundtracks. And PP one is similar. After a few weeks it should be forever put into my brain.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom