Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Oblivion first time modded or vanilla

Play oblivion vanilla or modded as a first time player

• Total voters

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

Most of this looks terrible. A shit ton of random vegetation puked about to try and make it look more "real" I guess, but it just looks haphazard. The other video shows it can look better, but still suffers the same problem in a lot of scenes. This is why I tend to dislike graphics mods, they change the intended look too much and look like they were designed by amateurs (which of course they were).

Akratus

Self-loathing fascist drunken misogynist asshole
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Yes, i am gonna play Oblivion. First time ever. Only ES game i've played was Morrowind. So wanna see the rest. I know what kind of shit is Oblivion, read it tons of times everywhere. I also compiled a huge modlist both for graphics and gameplay. For visual side they make the game prettier than Skyrim. As for gameplay mods i guess it makes experience at least enjoyable.

Normally i would directly play the game vanilla. Because i want to see the game from first hand what it is. For the knowledge of knowing the game etc. But this is oblivion so i can't decide. What do you think?
It's really not worth it man.

SwordCoast

Novice
I have made the game rock solid with some patches. Also window mod like full screen. Alt+ tab no problem. Locked to 60 fps. No micro stutter no slowdown no bugs no crashes.

I have played a character to level 2. After the sewers and Ayleid ruins dungeon as a full mage and Atronach birth sign. Main atttibutes Wisdom and Intelligence. Major skills are all spell related and alchemy. Birth signs are real shit. No diversity. Need a mod there. I saw how the leveling works and its also shit. So i need to put most of my main skills into minor section and other untelated ones to spells into major section. Wow that is retarded. How did they made a design like this? Cause their intention is to make a good game.

And peaceful monks:

Last edited:

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
It's called Oblivion for a reason, it will make you want to forget you ever played it. Don't do this to yourself.

Beastro

Arcane
Fluent's little ratings here and there are the most amusing thing about this thread.

SwordCoast

Novice
Started to play without mods. Recreated my char and Using efficient leveling easily so i dont expect high difficulty spikes. Level 2 only but seems i am very op. Will see about it around level 20 and above but i will stay at the top. Fast travel makes being rich in this game very easy. Just ft to a place where lots of loot waiting, collect them and ft back. Or did your run out of mana just ft to a Aylied source fill up and back.

Duraframe300

Arcane

Most of this looks terrible. A shit ton of random vegetation puked about to try and make it look more "real" I guess, but it just looks haphazard. The other video shows it can look better, but still suffers the same problem in a lot of scenes. This is why I tend to dislike graphics mods, they change the intended look too much and look like they were designed by amateurs (which of course they were).

Bethesda fucked up that look with their shitty interpretation of Cyrodill in the first place. I admit the video doesn't look too great, but Bethesda fucked up in the first place. Nothing *intended* about that.

MWaser

Arbiter
get mods that descale the game, especially the artifacts, a visual mod for the NPC faces to be flightly less disgusting, unofficial patches.

I propose this only because without at least descaling the game Oblivion just doesn't feel like it has any point.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Bethesda fucked up that look with their shitty interpretation of Cyrodill in the first place. I admit the video doesn't look too great, but Bethesda fucked up in the first place. Nothing *intended* about that.

Yes because one line in a random Morrowind book should dictate canon for all fucking time. Autism alert.

SwordCoast

Novice
Finished half of the game now. Spent so much time doing meta gaming. And it takes the immersion. Magic system sucks cause of the high mana costs and limited mana pool. Cast 4 spells to kill a monster and you are out of mana. Console designed menu and very few shortcuts for map.,spells,inventory makes you weary. Level scaling in this game is really absurd. There is no reason to go to dungeons. Everytime 5 gold 1 lock pick or a crap potion. Spending much more resources than gaining. What were they thinking? Game sold so well cause of the first time rpg players i guess. Console gamers.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
Finished half of the game now. Spent so much time doing meta gaming. And it takes the immersion. Magic system sucks cause of the high mana costs and limited mana pool. Cast 4 spells to kill a monster and you are out of mana. Console designed menu and very few shortcuts for map.,spells,inventory makes you weary. Level scaling in this game is really absurd. There is no reason to go to dungeons. Everytime 5 gold 1 lock pick or a crap potion. Spending much more resources than gaining. What were they thinking? Game sold so well cause of the first time rpg players i guess. Console gamers.
I'm tempted to give them the benefit of the doubt and say that a lot of things got rushed out the door. They famously lobotomized their radiant AI when they couldn't get it to work. They also cut an entire city during production. I can't imagine anyone testing the game thought the level scaling as acceptable past level 10 or so.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron

It was definitely designed around being a 360 launch-ish title, they said that themselves. I remember Hines or Howard going on and on about how well Morrowind sold on Xbox and how no one around the office played on PC anymore. It was the post-Xbox and pre-Steam years, when "PC IS DYING" was a constant media message. However honestly all the PC sites and mags also gushed over Oblivion. I think it was more a "mainstream joes" focus that was the problem in a lot of ways, rather than a console issue overall. In the recent 100 best RPGs poll I wrote about how Oblivion functions okay as "baby's first RPG," similar to Fable. It was also a pretty hiking sim at the time. Wanting anything else from it than those two things gets you into trouble fast.

DraQ

Arcane
Yes because one line in a random Morrowind book should dictate canon for all fucking time. Autism alert.
No, you fuckwad. It's because it contradicts the entirety of established lore on the province (which started for real with PGE1, accompanying Redguard) up until then (which is kind of a running theme in OB) and replaces interesting and original, with stupid, banal, shit, boring and internally inconsistent (another running theme in OB), which is arguably even worse (after all no one really complained about Vvardenfell not being 100% covered with lava and ash).

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom