Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Incline Chris Avellone Appreciation Station

Butter

Arcane
Patron
How shallow is the entertainment you guys are consuming if there's nothing to glean from a repeat viewing?

Quillon

Arcane
Just finished JFO; did MCA write Nightsister Merrin? She had small screen time but she questioned protag's intent half the time :P

Beastro

Arcane
I was just talking independently of whatever show it is. Never heard of this show, as I don't watch cartoons. But I guess the sentiment remains even if you're the kind to watch cartoons: you value the shared experience. And maybe you value it even more than the show itself in some cases.

Also there are people, like me, that abhor doing things twice. Feels like I'm wasting time if I already watched it, since the first experience is about discovery, while subsequent ones can no longer be about that, but about nostalgia, comfort or some shit.

You do a disservice sticking too close to that. Reviewing things often brings up things you missed, especially depending on how you've grown and matured since you last did so.

I've run into that rereading Tolkien's stuff for the first time in 20 years and wish I'd done it sooner and more often between now and then.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
I was just talking independently of whatever show it is. Never heard of this show, as I don't watch cartoons. But I guess the sentiment remains even if you're the kind to watch cartoons: you value the shared experience. And maybe you value it even more than the show itself in some cases.

Also there are people, like me, that abhor doing things twice. Feels like I'm wasting time if I already watched it, since the first experience is about discovery, while subsequent ones can no longer be about that, but about nostalgia, comfort or some shit.

You do a disservice sticking too close to that. Reviewing things often brings up things you missed, especially depending on how you've grown and matured since you last did so.

I've run into that rereading Tolkien's stuff for the first time in 20 years and wish I'd done it sooner and more often between now and then.
Yes it's true that going over something again might bring up things you missed. But would you play something again to see nuances you missed, or play something entirely new that you'd completely miss otherwise? Fresh experiences are much more appealing to me.

Still, I do replay some things, but rarely. I'm one of those autists-completionists, even reloading to see what would happen if I would've chosen something else in RPGs for example, so after going through something one I rarely do it again. Maybe I should play another way, but I always think as a GM/designer and want to see how the scene/interaction can lead. So if I ever replay something, it's because I know it's quality shit (I've replayed Fallout 1, Gothic 1, PST, Bloodlines and AoD for example). And usually when I replay, it has to have been years I haven't experienced it, or the game must have something to offer still that I haven't seen. I've only replayed Fallout 1 and AoD right away after my first playthrough; it helps a lot that the games are short and your chosen path can diverge significantly.

But this resistance to replaying isn't purely rational. Often when I try to replay something I love, after a while I just can't bring myself to continue, after that sweet sweet nostalgia hit. I've started yet another replay of Gothic 1 recently, because no games have ever approached it for me, and ELEX while great only managed to awaken my hunger for it, but I felt like I was living in stand still playing it yet again. I know the world's geography as well as the place I live, I know the characters, I know those guys right around the corner are waiting to bash my head in and I love them for it, but it's just not the same as the first time. Ahhh, dat first time!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

my lord, have you any news on the digital adventure path module? I eagerly await your hard work.
I think it’s now on draft 3. On the plus side, there’s been a lot of great playtesting. Thanks for your patience, you shouldn’t have had to wait as long as you have. :(
One day (maybe).

Fairfax

Arcane

Also, steam user got an update on the PF module:

Okay, so I messaged as many Owlcat devs as I could find until someone finally sent me up the food chain and I got a real answer for the first time in the last six months. So, as it turns out, the module is done. It's finished, illustrations and all, they're just waiting for Paizo to stop dragging their feet. Again. I don't know why no one saw fit to inform us of this, or give any kind of updates EVER, but there you have it. They hope to have it out before the end of 2019. I know we've all heard this before, but at least the damned thing is finally done. Nothing else for anyone to do but wait on Paizo.

I hope.

Xeon

Augur
Why is Paizo ragging things? someone said Kingmaker made Pathfinder more popular or something, they should be more ecstatic about more games from the devs who made Kingmaker.

Wonder if they wanted another module or whatever instead of Wrath.

Edit:
Oh NVM, I am dumb. This is probably the story or whatever MCA is releasing and not the game.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
1. MCA is not a fan of romances in VGs.
2. MCA was truly shocked by Tina Parker's flirtations.
3. MCA and his wife live in different cities.

Is MCA asexual? If that's the case, then many codexers' dreams of sucking his dick are not destined to come true.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Moreover!

4. If you think about it, romances in Planescape: Torment are paradigmatically asexual.
5. MCA's alleged asexuality explains his issues with Cook-Cook. And also with Josh Sawyer in general (who - as we all know - has a strong fixation on rape).

So, the real conflict in the cRPG industry is not between wild cocainists and proponents of balance, but rather between rape fantasists and asexuals.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom