Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

Xeon

Augur
Video finally uploaded. Cohh talking about Phoenix Point.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Care to give any specific arguments instead of talking out of your ass?
Are you serious? For two years - well before the Epic "affair" - both PanteraNera and me continued to bring objective arguments about the shortcomings and deficiencies of this project, and I don't think I have to prove anything since my posts are all there for anyone to check if I was right or not to be so skeptical and pessimistic. At this time, Phoenix Point is an unfinished, unpolished and unprofessional mess, without any significant production value: a "polished" pre-alpha that maybe not even the betrayal ill-gained money will be able to save. It's also a shame and an insult to us longtime fans, and this will be remembered for a long time.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
Did they keep any Dotkov's tracks that were in backer builds?
From the Readme:

This directory contains the OST of Phoenix Point.

Files list for Backer Build OST:
01. Devoid Of Meaning.mp3
02. CosmicNihilism.mp3
03. Perfect Apocalypse.mp3
04. Flashback.mp3
05. The Divide.mp3
06. Nuclear Melancholy.mp3
07. Necrofauna.mp3
08. Undulator.mp3
09. Insignificant Worlds.mp3
Cover.jpg

Files list for Phoenix Point OST:
01. Theme And Descent [JB].mp3
02. Mission Creep [JB].mp3
03. Strange Aeons [SD].mp3
04. Survival [JB].mp3
05. Wastebient [SD].mp3
06. Fragile Minds [SD].mp3
07. Futureproofing [JB].mp3
08. Eternal Struggle [SD].mp3
09. Dawn Of Determination [JB].mp3
10. After The Deluge [SD].mp3
11. Requiem [SD].mp3
12. Unease [JB].mp3
13. Walk In Dread [JB].mp3
14. Cosmic Nihilism [SD].mp3
15. Failed Species [SD].mp3
16. Impossible Depths [SD].mp3
17. Insignificant Worlds [SD].mp3
18. Past of Rust [SD].mp3
19. The Pulse [JB].mp3
Cover.jpg

Copyright 2019-2020 Snapshot Games, Inc., All Rights Reserved

CyberModuled

Arbiter
Not sure if you guys are talking about the actual 2 OST or the one "Legacy" OST they made for the DLC post WoTC.

Now this is the shit.

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
Not sure if you guys are talking about the actual 2 OST or the one "Legacy" OST they made for the DLC post WoTC.

Now this is the shit.

Wasn't the soundtrack the best part of the DLC?
Because linear sequence of puzzle maps didn't really fit.

I agree that it was a big oversight not to be able to tilt the camera position a little for free aim, or to preview it, but XCOM didn't have targeting preview (or stat screen in mission) until XCOM 2 (and maybe even WOTC?), and I think you still need mods to preview LoS to objectives.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Care to give any specific arguments instead of talking out of your ass?
Are you serious? For two years - well before the Epic "affair" - both PanteraNera and me continued to bring objective arguments about the shortcomings and deficiencies of this project, and I don't think I have to prove anything since my posts are all there for anyone to check if I was right or not to be so skeptical and pessimistic. At this time, Phoenix Point is an unfinished, unpolished and unprofessional mess, without any significant production value: a "polished" pre-alpha that maybe not even the betrayal ill-gained money will be able to save. It's also a shame and an insult to us longtime fans, and this will be remembered for a long time.
None of those mean shit about release. Those were based on conjecture and guesswork at the time of writing them. Now play release version and give us real arguments and for sure don't use arguments by a nuXcom retard as valid.

ArchAngel

Arcane
One cool thing I have noticed is that if you run into a wrong enemy they can basically two shot your lightly armored soldiers (anyone except heavy), feels very UFO like. Something like that happened in new Xcom only when they would crit you or when you were being hit by huge enemies like Berserkers.

Also I love that Gollop gave up on the idea of soldiers that die just being injured and needing to rest for a long time. Feels much more like UFO like this. Also soldier abilities are less powerful than in nuXcom and even lvl 1 soldiers feel much more useful than rookies in NuXcom do. That is again much more like UFO.

baud

Arcane
Patron
RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth

Now this is the shit.

Wasn't the soundtrack the best part of the DLC?
Because linear sequence of puzzle maps didn't really fit.

I agree that it was a big oversight not to be able to tilt the camera position a little for free aim, or to preview it, but XCOM didn't have targeting preview (or stat screen in mission) until XCOM 2 (and maybe even WOTC?), and I think you still need mods to preview LoS to objectives.

I'm pretty sure there was a way to get the stats of both your soldiers and aliens in XCOM 1. Or are you talking about other stats?

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
None of those mean shit about release. Those were based on conjecture and guesswork at the time of writing them. Now play release version and give us real arguments and for sure don't use arguments by a nuXcom retard as valid.
Instead, they mean a lot. Read my consideration about BB5, this "release" is just a more polished one with no real new content, and I don't use others arguments if not mine but I've only subscribed - and I repeat it - his statement "Phoenix Point is the Fallout 76 of XCom clones".

Galdred

Studio Draconis
Patron
Developer
I'm pretty sure there was a way to get the stats of both your soldiers and aliens in XCOM 1. Or are you talking about other stats?

You could get their Move, Will and Aim values in missions?

I was talking about this UI element, actually, on the bottom left:
5QeKih0.jpg
I don't think it was there before XCOM 2 : WOTC.

I first had the impression that Beaglerush nitpicked a lot during his stream, but then he says that Blood Bowl is one of the best turn based PvP games ever made, so he may be right about the rest as well!

I don't know why some guys, while comparing this to Xcom 2, criticize its bugs: they forgot that Xcom 2 was a shitty messy pile of bugs and glitches at launch. It took months to fix them.
Cause thats design flaws, not bugs. There is no good way to "fix" random pieces of cover blocking overwatch shots that looked as though they should have been possible. They'd have to either "disable" all cover in a certain radius from a shooter (which would lead to i can shoot you, but you cant shoot me problem) or make all cover convex or something.
thats why to hit rolls are better imo. All the extra headache of this "realistic" "ballistic modeling" system for what? Its a ton of work and probably adds nothing, not even realism in the end... just countless unforeseen consequences that can be solved with a much easier system and leave you with months of programmer time to actually add worthwhile content. perhaps somebody will develop an in depth ballistic model people can buy and paste on to their game someday, but spending years to develop a system worse than just rolling dice seems seems to be a big money and time sink to me.

This is a game I expect from Bethesda, this game is like the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones.
:salute:

I actually disagree with some of that. Why should you know the exact way its going to look where you are going to run to? You would not know that in a real fire fight, some of that is just a good guess and a hope. I don't mind having to guess and hope, nothing unrealistic about that IMO. Being able to turn and tilt the camera from every possible angle including angles from movements you have yet to even actually make is like being able to see into the future. Maybe some soldier could have that as a cool skill or ability, but not everyone should have that ability.

Do bullets penetrate things on current version?
I know that it wasn't included in backer build 3.
yes, I shot things through cover so far

edit:
it was thick glass you almost could not see through. It would not let a hand gun shoot through it (would put an X up if I tried to use a hand gun and would not even let me attempt a shot), but if I used the sniper rifle I could shoot through it...it may have supposed to have been bullet proof glass or something, not sure. I also did damage through some wooden doors.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is a game I expect from Bethesda, this game is like the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones.

I actually disagree with some of that. Why should you know the exact way its going to look where you are going to run to? You would not know that in a real fire fight, some of that is just a good guess and a hope. I don't mind having to guess and hope, nothing unrealistic about that IMO. Being able to turn and tilt the camera from every possible angle including angles from movements you have yet to even actually make is like being able to see into the future. Maybe some soldier could have that as a cool skill or ability, but not everyone should have that ability.

Yeah,that dude sounds so fucking butthurt. A big hint at his retardation was him comparing it to modern xcom popamoles and not the originals. He sounds really whiny and annoying.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
All the extra headache of this "realistic" "ballistic modeling" system for what?
Can't brofist hard enough. To my shame, I am still surprised every time someone brings up realistic simulationism as if it is the whole point of gaming. I should have learned by now how many people just want games to be exactly like real life. It still makes no sense to me. :|

warcrimes666

Educated
Patron
Well, lads, its not that bad. Its not really an adequate response to shit on it totally. I fired it up to hate it but I find the mechanics superior to the nucoms and its more enjoyable to play. Not sure about the qualms with the soundtrack, it takes some time to kick in but it is very reminiscent of the original and quite well done, at one point I got the feels from 1994. As a point of contention that line of reasoning is at scrub level.

Did they fuck up, yes massively. Too many ways to list really, nose dive in art, everything they lifted from nucom, it's unfinished half a game, the watered down tension and so on. But the base is there, it's compelling. Really, it's what many wanted from the reboots and the core of the game is a worthy successor. I could chew it up any which way as it stands but to call it fallout 76 is asinine.

That being said, its another year to get to a complete game so for most that are waiting for steam, its a smart bet. Otherwise, for a jaded cynical fuck like me to have some fun with it was unexpected and welcome.

Taka-Haradin puolipeikko

Filthy Kalinite
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria
So called ballistics model with true line of sight has been pretty stable feature in Gollop's game design.
UFO did it under the hood using voxels and there was that cancelled PS2 era game that was supposed to have free aim mode.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Also people today are such retards and fake. I guess everyone chooses to forget that nuXcom 1 at release was a huge bug fest. It had a huge campaign ending bug (it ended one of my ironman campaigns) where enemy units would teleport into the middle of your squad, activate and shoot... and it took them months to fix that shit. At release more than 50% of shots were through walls and shit, I remember people shitting on the game a lot because of that.

This is a game where outside combat you had 4 same events per month (ufo, council, terror, abduction) and a few main missions here and there. Where the whole difficulty of the game disappeared in month 3 as soon as your snipers got 2 levels and you could take 6 people into maps. Where map pool was tiny and you would run into same maps in single campaign.. Fuck these retards!

People often forget details like this as they get washed out over time. XCOM2 which is basically a gameplay continuation and its expansion AND its excellent modding scene got that game to a good spot. Similarly, people look at Civ4 with rosecolored eyes and yet that game was a disaster to play at release as well, and also wasn't really sharpened until two expansions later.

I haven't played Phoenix Point and dunno if I will cause of the Epic Games nonsense, and if it deserves critique for sure give it, but yeah people really shouldn't be doing straight 1:1 comparisons to competitors who have been out and about for years now.

ArchAngel

Arcane

Yeah,that dude sounds so fucking butthurt. A big hint at his retardation was him comparing it to modern xcom popamoles and not the originals. He sounds really whiny and annoying.

I listened to him a bit more, after comparing it with nuXcom he is so butthurt he says shit like nobody that likes Xcom should play this game. Later his heavy misses a shot from far away and he laughs like a madman and shits on the class and game like it is game's fault he is a retard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Instead, they mean a lot. Read my consideration about BB5, this "release" is just a more polished one with no real new content, and I don't use others arguments if not mine but I've only subscribed - and I repeat it - his statement "Phoenix Point is the Fallout 76 of XCom clones".
Don't be a retard. Is it as good as UFO 1994 and TFTD? No.
Is it better than nuXcoms and many Xcom clones that happened between Xcom Apocalypse and nuXcoms? Yes.
Is it better than nuXcoms? Yes.

If PP is Fallout 76 than what are nuXcoms? Because in Fallout world you cannot get a worse game than Fallout 76. Your statement is ridiculous. And no I don't want to read your BB5 comments, they are not valid anymore. BB5 biggest problems was that classes were OP as fuck and game was way too easy. Both of those are no longer valid.

And if you really think that better production quality of nuXcom games makes them a better game than PP that does all mechanics better then you are a true retard and should stop embarrassing yourself.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
Did they fuck up, yes massively. Too many ways to list really, nose dive in art, everything they lifted from nucom, it's unfinished half a game, the watered down tension and so on. But the base is there, it's compelling. Really, it's what many wanted from the reboots and the core of the game is a worthy successor. I could chew it up any which way as it stands but to call it fallout 76 is asinine.
So essentially PeePee is exactly as predicted, plus even goes beyond that, mimicking features from nuXcom, which in itself is a kissing cousin of Gollop's original ideas. Whew, what a sitcom.

Is it better than nuXcoms? Yes.
FFS, can we stop taking that low bar as a quality measure?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom