Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Kingmaker - Enhanced Plus Edition - now with turn-based combat

The bottom line is Nyrissa is a terrible villain. Whatever she started out as and how she came to be one, she is just a cartoonish moustached evil she-dude who could be saying hue-hue-hue. She does a shitload of terrible things with her only motivation being self-interest. A good villain has depth.

Mark Richard

Arcane
Started last week. I bided my time for a full year waiting for the best version, avoiding black cats and checking the car's back seat for axe murderers on the off-chance fate took exception to my restraint and prematurely ended my existence for a laugh. Well you didn't get me, fate! Patience paid off. My first impression of Pathfinder: Kingmaker has been nothing short of magical, though I can see how those without a rudimentary knowledge of the Dungeons & Dragons ruleset could have trouble here - I spent well over an hour levelling up the party, paralysed at the thought of making a mistake. Hopefully things will go much quicker now that I have a solid idea of how I want to develop each character.

Unless... no, I shouldn't start again. Should I? My fighter character is dull and uncomplicated, which is admittedly the whole point (it's a class one assigns to a baby sibling who doesn't have a clue). He's also lawful neutral. I fear my restraint has seeped into a high fantasy setting when my character should be brash and larger than life. Besides, RPGs tend to reserve the best stuff for those who commit to good or evil.

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
In my playthrough, I killed trolls but spare Tarctuccio with his kobolds. Tartuccio established kobolds kingdom, and became my vassal. He didn't caused me any troubles later.

However, the kobolds destroyed the enterance to the dungeon, after the final fight in chapter 2. So I could not get in later. That is why I failed Harim quest. Since I didn't use him, it's not a big deal.

I think if you are evil you can spare troll king, but I'm not sure.

You can get Kobold vassals (and merchant) and still complete Harrim's quest if you do it right then. Harrim is good for that Chapter since he gets +4 AC vs Giants (including Trolls).

Serpent in the Staglands Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Psst, hey kid, wanna buy an Oculus of Abaddon?

HDch54J.png
Guess Owlcat still has a few bugs left to fix.

razvedchiki

Erudite
The bottom line is Nyrissa is a terrible villain. Whatever she started out as and how she came to be one, she is just a cartoonish moustached evil she-dude who could be saying hue-hue-hue. She does a shitload of terrible things with her only motivation being self-interest. A good villain has depth.

remove the pommel and end her rightly.

PrettyDeadman

Does this game work on intel integrated gpu, and does it require micromanagement during fights?
I tried it on my laptop (Intel HD Graphics 620) and get around ~30 fps. I decided not to play it there.
I have 16 gb of 2666 hz ram, i5 8250u and samsung evo 860.

Last edited by a moderator:
Holy shit, I am working my way through House at the Edge of Shit, and as even Crispy admitted, the devs went full retard here (as opposed to half retard for most of the game). I still don't get how the lamp works exactly, because sometimes walking around with the same lamp state produces drastically different results, but by randomly clicking it on and off, I was able to track down most of my companions. Though in Shitmaker's defense, randomly clicking on stuff seems to be the devs' preferred way of puzzle solving, see Statue puzzle in prologue.

Anyways, half my companions died for good. I don't mind for most of them, like Amiri, Eku, and Nok Fok, whom I never used, but Linzi dying was kind of a bummer, since I helped her whiny ass with all the companion quests. But Shitmaker is gonna Shitmake. Fortunately, in the spirit of dumb gameplay, I was able to quickly hire mercs to replace companions, with basically the same skills, so meh. Pointless but I wasn't surprised.

Then the gallery of shitfights starts. I picked to take on the Wriggling Man, and boy was that fight fun. :roll: Spam-summoning damage resistant immune to half the shit in the world, teleporting, spam mirror image casting non-crittable cunt of a mob. But like every fight in Shitmaker, the key isn't intelligent tactics or anything, it's just to buff the party to death, and learn the one spell that makes the fight trivial. In this case, Stormbolt. Having both Harrim and the merc cleric spam stormbolts on his ass to stun him was just the thing to tie him down while my main two handed fighter went Hibachi on his worm arse.

Next room, next shitshow. Four, that's right, four Mandragora Swarms, everyone's favorite mob next to mother-in-law and Gonorrhea. According to just about every posting online, no PnP GM would ever throw 4 of these things at a party, much less in a setting that doesn't have their main counter, the Darkness spell, but hey, nobody ever accused Owlcat of being sane. So after they melted my party and the 40 summoned creatures in seconds by strength sucking osmosis, I just gave up on meleeing in a melee party, and summon-kited their ass with every aoe fire spell in every cunt's repertoire. Eventually worked while I was cursing out the designers for being such dumbasses.

Then a few Wildhunt Party fights, those are always fun. My two handed fighter main goes through them like a meat grinder, but it's always a race to see if I can slice them up before they kill half my party by one-shotting everyone besides my main and tank. One time, I actually killed like 9 out of 10 of them, and the 10th shot 2 arrows and killed 2 party members. I mean I came prepared with 5,000 Raise Dead scrolls, but still, come on...

Can't wait to see what's next...

Desiderius

Found your egg, Robinett, you sneaky bastard
Patron
Insert Title Here Pathfinder: Wrath
Alright all you conceited luddite fucktards,

Today's the day to put down the phone and significantly upgrade the class of people who merit my attention:

Varmints.jpg

They're currently engaged in seeing who can spray the most spit into a sunbeam and laughing uproariously.

Many thanks to Hap, Pinkeye, Shad, Trashos, Daidre, ArchAngel, deuxhero, Efe, and all the other clowns who make this place suck less. Always good to discover that one's taste is shared by people of such quality.

May the peace which surpasseth all understanding abide with you,

Desiderius

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30201/30201-h/30201-h.htm

Trashos

Arcane
sometimes walking around with the same lamp state produces drastically different results,

Not true.
Lamp IN BELT = you always remain in the same reality.
Lamp NOT IN BELT = You switch reality or teleport (don't remember if when teleporting you also switch realities), depending on the cloud.

However, at some (very few) places there are 2 clouds overlapping at their edges. So maybe you entered one cloud while you thought you were entering the other.

All the companions are in the same reality, iirc.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Alright all you conceited luddite fucktards,

Today's the day to put down the phone and significantly upgrade the class of people who merit my attention:

View attachment 12012

They're currently engaged in seeing who can spray the most spit into a sunbeam and laughing uproariously.

Many thanks to Hap, Pinkeye, Shad, Trashos, Daidre, ArchAngel, deuxhero, Efe, and all the other clowns who make this place suck less. Always good to discover that one's taste is shared by people of such quality.

May the peace which surpasseth all understanding abide with you,

Desiderius

https://www.gutenberg.org/files/30201/30201-h/30201-h.htm
Goodbye friend :(

ArchAngel

Arcane
Holy shit, I am working my way through House at the Edge of Shit, and as even Crispy admitted, the devs went full retard here (as opposed to half retard for most of the game). I still don't get how the lamp works exactly, because sometimes walking around with the same lamp state produces drastically different results, but by randomly clicking it on and off, I was able to track down most of my companions. Though in Shitmaker's defense, randomly clicking on stuff seems to be the devs' preferred way of puzzle solving, see Statue puzzle in prologue.

Anyways, half my companions died for good. I don't mind for most of them, like Amiri, Eku, and Nok Fok, whom I never used, but Linzi dying was kind of a bummer, since I helped her whiny ass with all the companion quests. But Shitmaker is gonna Shitmake. Fortunately, in the spirit of dumb gameplay, I was able to quickly hire mercs to replace companions, with basically the same skills, so meh. Pointless but I wasn't surprised.

Then the gallery of shitfights starts. I picked to take on the Wriggling Man, and boy was that fight fun. :roll: Spam-summoning damage resistant immune to half the shit in the world, teleporting, spam mirror image casting non-crittable cunt of a mob. But like every fight in Shitmaker, the key isn't intelligent tactics or anything, it's just to buff the party to death, and learn the one spell that makes the fight trivial. In this case, Stormbolt. Having both Harrim and the merc cleric spam stormbolts on his ass to stun him was just the thing to tie him down while my main two handed fighter went Hibachi on his worm arse.

Next room, next shitshow. Four, that's right, four Mandragora Swarms, everyone's favorite mob next to mother-in-law and Gonorrhea. According to just about every posting online, no PnP GM would ever throw 4 of these things at a party, much less in a setting that doesn't have their main counter, the Darkness spell, but hey, nobody ever accused Owlcat of being sane. So after they melted my party and the 40 summoned creatures in seconds by strength sucking osmosis, I just gave up on meleeing in a melee party, and summon-kited their ass with every aoe fire spell in every cunt's repertoire. Eventually worked while I was cursing out the designers for being such dumbasses.

Then a few Wildhunt Party fights, those are always fun. My two handed fighter main goes through them like a meat grinder, but it's always a race to see if I can slice them up before they kill half my party by one-shotting everyone besides my main and tank. One time, I actually killed like 9 out of 10 of them, and the 10th shot 2 arrows and killed 2 party members. I mean I came prepared with 5,000 Raise Dead scrolls, but still, come on...

Can't wait to see what's next...
That is one way to solve the statues, other is to find a pattern like all intelligent human being can. My 8 year old solved it by herself by clicking randomly. I guess you are saying you have intelligence of a 8 year old. Good to know..

About mercs.. at beginning there was no such options but then other retards like you complained that game has consequences for the choices about companions so devs had to let players hire mercs to replace companions you lost.

So you are saying you found a tactic that works vs a tough enemy even while complaining that there is no tactics in this game? So you would rather play PoE instead where you can beat everything with any skill and can force through all encounters with any kind of retarded party using no tactics?!

PnP GMs don't give players save/load feature, their player's parties are made out of 4+ players that prefer to be retarded instead of fighting as a team and so on. Comparing this game with PnP too closely lets you fall into same trap like all the steam review retards that bashed the game because it was too different from PnP but would never admit they didn't play on ironman mode and always send their barbarian forward first just like a player at a table would. And a wizard player would cast Shield spell in round one of combat instead of Grease or Sleep while the Cleric player would complain half the session why he needs to be a healbot and then memorize many useless spells and not want to ever turn them into healing spells.. And lets not forget about Bards that would probably not take any useful spells and would spend their actions trying to enrage every enemy in range with their attempts at diplomacy or intimidate. And party rouge would spend actions trying to find a tree to climb on where he can "sneak attack" from while Orcs are demolishing the Fighter that was only one that went forward to help that retard Barbarian that is already bleeding on the ground..

Install TB mod, then you can have time to react to those archers old man.

Yosharian

Arcane
About mercs.. at beginning there was no such options but then other retards like you complained that game has consequences for the choices about companions so devs had to let players hire mercs to replace companions you lost.
I'm gonna disagree with this one. It's incline to allow us to replace dead companions, and to hire mercs generally, and to use mercs for advisor positions. (The merc penalty is completely retarded but let's not go there)

It's decline to fuck your entire playthrough just because you didn't recruit a specific companion (yes this can happen easily just through role-playing let alone minor fuck-ups), no there are not enough fail safe options), and it's decline to not give players options to hire mercenaries generally.

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'm gonna disagree with this one. It's incline to allow us to replace dead companions, and to hire mercs generally, and to use mercs for advisor positions. (The merc penalty is completely retarded but let's not go there)

It's decline to fuck your entire playthrough just because you didn't recruit a specific companion (yes this can happen easily just through role-playing let alone minor fuck-ups), no there are not enough fail safe options), and it's decline to not give players options to hire mercenaries generally.
I disagree. Live by your choices, die by your consequences. What is decline, is failing to notify to the player that there are implications for not completing the companion's quests. Or that there will be severe consequences for ignoring them altogether. There should be stakes, and there should be real consequences. What the developers messed up on is communication. Instead of rectifying this, the developers took the easy out. For example, Swarms could have made for a good tutorial on spells, such as the significance of delay poison, and ability damage. Jubilost could have also been a good tutorial on time sensitive areas.

One of the biggest downfalls of the game is it failing to communicate its self properly.

Efe

Erudite
he is right. you can be left advisorless if you dont calculate that shit. its not a good tutorial if you're gonna face failure just because of that 100 hours later.
they could have solved it differently but mercs also ensure you arent left without access to certain classes just because you didnt like the character behind them. not every priest is harrim or tristian, etc. so mercs are double win.

Yosharian

Arcane
I disagree. Live by your choices, die by your consequences. What is decline, is failing to notify to the player that there are implications for not completing the companion's quests. Or that there will be severe consequences for ignoring them altogether. There should be stakes, and there should be real consequences. What the developers messed up on is communication. Instead of rectifying this, the developers took the easy out. For example, Swarms could have made for a good tutorial on spells, such as the significance of delay poison, and ability damage. Jubilost could have also been a good tutorial on time sensitive areas.

One of the biggest downfalls of the game is it failing to communicate its self properly.

One possible implication from this is that the game has to notify the player every time they potentially make a decision that would result in them losing access to a critical advisor. So for example, when meeting Jubilost, the game would have to somehow alert the player that, should they fail to recruit this gnome, they will lose access to an extremely valuable treasurer, the only one in the game for non evil-aligned kingdoms (read: virtually everyone).

How would this occur without breaking immersion? Should Jubilost randomly alert you to the fact that he is a treasurer, despite the fact that it doesn't fit his personality and makes no sense given the context of the encounter? If so, when should he do it? Before or after you fail the fairly challenging, and admittedly unintuitive, 'storybook' scene?

What the developers went for was a very immersive approach that allows the player to fail to recruit companions if they don't try very hard, or meta-game. (For example, I never got the opportunity to recruit Vordakai despite knowing that he was a potential advisor, because I chose not to meta-game) This approach is perfectly fine as long as there are fail safes so that the player isn't left without critical advisors.

What you are suggesting can only either be a very un-immersive warning to the player, that they are potentially missing out on an advisor, or alternatively a stupidly brutal system where the player is basically fucked in the ass for decisions that couldn't possibly be labelled as failure. It's not a 'failure' if I solve the horse carriage problem in such a way that Jubilost's possessions are lost and he ends up sodding off into non-existence as a result. It's just one way to solve that encounter. It could only be classed as failure if the game identified it as such (it doesn't). Anything else is called role-playing.

So what you're essentially saying is that the player should be heavily punished, suffering brutal consequences, for playing the Pathfinder role-playing system in exactly the right way as it was intended.

This comes across as a circle-jerk over 'muh consequences' rather than a rational approach to game design.

Sykar

Arcane

One possible implication from this is that the game has to notify the player every time they potentially make a decision that would result in them losing access to a critical advisor. So for example, when meeting Jubilost, the game would have to somehow alert the player that, should they fail to recruit this gnome, they will lose access to an extremely valuable treasurer, the only one in the game for non evil-aligned kingdoms (read: virtually everyone).

How would this occur without breaking immersion? Should Jubilost randomly alert you to the fact that he is a treasurer, despite the fact that it doesn't fit his personality and makes no sense given the context of the encounter? If so, when should he do it? Before or after you fail the fairly challenging, and admittedly unintuitive, 'storybook' scene?

What the developers went for was a very immersive approach that allows the player to fail to recruit companions if they don't try very hard, or meta-game. (For example, I never got the opportunity to recruit Vordakai despite knowing that he was a potential advisor, because I chose not to meta-game) This approach is perfectly fine as long as there are fail safes so that the player isn't left without critical advisors.

What you are suggesting can only either be a very un-immersive warning to the player, that they are potentially missing out on an advisor, or alternatively a stupidly brutal system where the player is basically fucked in the ass for decisions that couldn't possibly be labelled as failure. It's not a 'failure' if I solve the horse carriage problem in such a way that Jubilost's possessions are lost and he ends up sodding off into non-existence as a result. It's just one way to solve that encounter. It could only be classed as failure if the game identified it as such (it doesn't). Anything else is called role-playing.

So what you're essentially saying is that the player should be heavily punished, suffering brutal consequences, for playing the Pathfinder role-playing system in exactly the right way as it was intended.

This comes across as a circle-jerk over 'muh consequences' rather than a rational approach to game design.

Agree with most of this but wanted to point out that there is nothing wrong having someone like Kanerah as your advisor. Funnily enough she gives decent advise like what to do with the Stag Lords treasury giving it back to the people. Not because she is good or anything but because it saves face with the people you rule. Evil characters are often of course selfish and place themselves above others. That does not mean that they have to act or will act "evily" all the time. They are quite often still pragmatic and many do still have some compassion left somewhere deep down inside. Heck in a sense I dare say a good society is better for them than an evil one. A good society has all those pesky morals and what not so even if you get caught commiting a crime you will probably just be thrown in jail if you are unsuccessful defending your actions during trial. Under let us say a LE tyranny you will likely end up dead if the ruler is in a bad mood.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom