Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Thonius

Arcane
how do I submit a tip to the russian government to tell them that russian citizens are distributing pro-lgbt propaganda?

I was thinking about that as well. Blizzard removes the references to gay people from their OW comics released in Russia, can Owlcat get im serious legal trouble if they include too much LGBTWERTY stuff?
All references to LGBTs in media are censored in Russia afaik, so if PF:КМ and now this include that they are going to be removed from the Russian release.
Yeah sure... Let met tell what's happens in Russia while I don't leave in Russia!
How come I can buy TOW and Dragon Age? Those are full of faggotry!

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Is this some sort of attempt to deny there is an anti-gay law in Russia or argue that it's somehow better than it actually is?

Lacrymas

Arcane
Who the fuck cares about gay? This law aim to forbid gay teaching at schools that's it.
Is this what a typical Russian thinks and that's why their country is such a circus? The violence against LGBTs in Russia skyrocketed after this law was passed and it's used as justification by the police to assault and incarcerate people. It's almost as bad as when they legalized wife beating (I know what that law says, don't @ me). It's also a ban on any attempt at rights advocacy due to ambiguous wording, and gay families say they are afraid to walk on the streets with their children because there's an actual danger of being battered. It's not a law to "protect children", it's almost a gateway drug to criminalize being gay again.

Thonius

Arcane
Yeah, lets fix gay rights first, then trans rights, then woman's rights, AFTER THAT IS DONE we can perhaps focus on economic and corruption later. You happy now? Priorities set straight now. I'm off to pro gay rally.

frajaq

Erudite
Who the fuck cares about gay? This law aim to forbid gay teaching at schools that's it.
Is this what a typical Russian thinks and that's why their country is such a circus? The violence against LGBTs in Russia skyrocketed after this law was passed and it's used as justification by the police to assault and incarcerate people. It's almost as bad as when they legalized wife beating (I know what that law says, don't @ me). It's also a ban on any attempt at rights advocacy due to ambiguous wording, and gay families say they are afraid to walk on the streets with their children because there's an actual danger of being battered. It's not a law to "protect children", it's almost a gateway drug to criminalize being gay again.

I do believe you are in the wrong website to care about these issues

have you seen the threads that gets posted in GD/Politics?

its almost like going into /pol/ but with no anonymity

vonAchdorf

Arcane
The question was if Owlcat can get in legal trouble in Russia or if they have to censor their games and the answer was no for both.

Lacrymas

Arcane
gay families say they are afraid to walk on the streets with their children

headtilt.gif
Do you not call the children of adoptive parents (or from surrogate mothers, or perhaps even just a child from a previous partner) their children where you are from? Genuine question.

The question was if Owlcat can get in legal trouble in Russia or if they have to censor their games and the answer was no for both.
Slapping an 18+ rating due to ideological reasons is censorship or an attempt to limit distribution. It might not be effective if people don't care about ratings over there, but the intent is clear. It's also obvious these games aren't made primarily for a domestic market, but for the international one.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Seems automated RPG QA testing is becoming a thing. Larian also used it for D:OS 2: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11133

With changes coming in constantly, QA was quickly overwhelmed. "Imagine you're working in QA, and you have a test plan, but your test plan keeps changing because people keep flagging things as ready when it's not ready," Vincke said. Worse, Divinity: Original Sin 2 was incredibly long, with a single run taking up to two weeks to complete. Ultimately, automation saved much of the project, but journal bugs meant that one reviewer gave Divinity: Original Sin 2 a 7 out of 10, dragging it from a 94 on Metacritic to a 93. It was only one point ultimately, but for Vincke, it was a deduction that didn't need to happen.
This should have been mandatory. No human being should be subjected to nowadays' RPG writing

Also, Lacrymas seems to have gone full activist since moving to Germany. :D

Pink Eye

Monk
Patron
I'm very into cock and ball torture
Seems automated RPG QA testing is becoming a thing. Larian also used it for D:OS 2: https://rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=11133

With changes coming in constantly, QA was quickly overwhelmed. "Imagine you're working in QA, and you have a test plan, but your test plan keeps changing because people keep flagging things as ready when it's not ready," Vincke said. Worse, Divinity: Original Sin 2 was incredibly long, with a single run taking up to two weeks to complete. Ultimately, automation saved much of the project, but journal bugs meant that one reviewer gave Divinity: Original Sin 2 a 7 out of 10, dragging it from a 94 on Metacritic to a 93. It was only one point ultimately, but for Vincke, it was a deduction that didn't need to happen.

Why haven't they been able to routinize using a team of one's most capable fan volunteers to do it? (Legit) worries about undercutting devs paywise?

EDIT: or at least using the bug report system/forums. They still haven't fixed Endurance not giving Athletics (a non-Trivial feature of the Ranger class) or Xelliren's inventory not refreshing in P:K. In other words basic game features that have been reported constantly.
That's actually a good point. Why not make of use of the dedicated fans out there? I mean a single play through of the game would be more than sufficient enough in noticing all of the obvious bugs. Why waste resources on a bot, when you can make use of dedicated fans who are more than willing to do it for free. I've been reporting bugs since release, and about HALF of them have been fixed....

Last edited:

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
In Tabletop, she was explicitly Romanceable, so she is likely a romance option.

How does that even work?

What?

Why?

What exactly is there to ponder on? Unless you're a dumb ESL who doesn't know what 'explicitly' means in this context. Or unless you're a coomer.

It is a fucking tabletop NPC, you fucknugget. Why would anyone write their fluff characters explicitly romanceable? Tabletop needs consent forms for NPCs? Just roll the god damn dice, degenerates.

Why of course.

https://paizo.com/threads/rzs2l1o7?Adding-Romance-to-your-Pathfinder-Game

Onionguy

Educated
My biggest gripe with Kingmaker is not the in game art style alone, which without a doubt, could be better, but the way characters themselves look and behave as if they just ate a big bag of skittles. There were silly in kingmaker, and based only on the new illustration above, it doesn't seem that they are willing to change that at all. At best, they may trade dorky-ness with edgy-ness, just look at that motherfucking murdering gnome/halfling with purple hair and double hammer, isn't he nice? I just miss the more subdued tone of old dnd, here's why:

Kingmaker
latest

vs

Icewind Dale
latest

Shadenuat

Arcane
Also, Lacrymas seems to have gone full activist since moving to Germany. :D
Berlin seems to sometimes need to be leveled and build anew to make Germany great; like fighting deforestation u know.

(hops in armata)

honk honk europ; prepare me some beer and pretzels

The game just would need a 18plus rating. The law is about protecting children, not adults.
It's "intended" to "protect children" in the sense that it's so ambiguously worded that it's effectively a ban against any LGBT references. Even if slapping an 18+ rating on it counts, you are backing yourself into a corner if you release a game like PF:KM with an 18+ rating, which means it's gonna be censored.
All references to LGBTs in media are censored in Russia afaik, so if PF:КМ and now this include that they are going to be removed from the Russian release.
Come on, Russian bureaucrats could bother with some movie before showing it in the cinema, nobody would care enough to cut shit out of 18+ game.

That makes recent indecent with Modern Warfare especially ridiculous since Sony censored itself and decided to remove the game from PS Store.
What are you trying to say?
that Russia is so lawless and bureocrats are so incompetent that it doesn't matter what laws it has, it's just a farce.

That's actually a good point. Why not make of use of the dedicated fans out there? I mean a single play through of the game would more than sufficient in noticing all of the obvious bugs. Why waste resources on a bot, when you can make use of dedicated fans who are more than willing to do it for free. I've been reporting bugs since release, and about HALF of them have been fixed....
they do, didn't Daidre and other housewives of her court furiously playtested Tristian romance for bugs?

Do you not call the children of adoptive parents (or from surrogate mothers) their children where you are from? Genuine question.

I call them bastards.
how is this spider doesn't have a Prestigious tag yet boring GAMISM SIMULATIONISM BANALCE morons + some furry do I swear.
only person who is funny on this forum nowadays.

skaraher

Cipher
There is no such thing as a gay family. Also sodomites shouldn't expose themselves publicly in the street and it is normal for them to be forcibly removed when they do. Deal with it boomer.

Syme

Arbiter
My biggest gripe with Kingmaker is not the in game art style alone, which without a doubt, could be better, but the way characters themselves look and behave as if they just ate a big bag of skittles. There were silly in kingmaker, and based only on the new illustration above, it doesn't seem that they are willing to change that at all. At best, they may trade dorky-ness with edgy-ness, just look at that motherfucking murdering gnome/halfling with purple hair and double hammer, isn't he nice? I just miss the more subdued tone of old dnd, here's why:

Kingmaker
latest

vs

Icewind Dale
latest

The sad thing is that Kingmaker's art looks almost sane when put next to most other Pathfinder artwork. Nearly all of it is far too over-designed and far too busy. I mean just compare the Pathfinder Iconics with some of Larry Elmore's old artwork to see what I mean. One looks like a group of adventurers while the other looks like they're getting ready for an anime convention.
1269624-heroes_of_the_lance.jpg

mywallpaper5ae72.jpg

Onionguy

Educated

Kingmaker
latest

vs

Icewind Dale
latest

The sad thing is that Kingmaker's art looks almost sane when put next to most other Pathfinder artwork. Nearly all of it is far too over-designed and far too busy. I mean just compare the Pathfinder Iconics with some of Larry Elmore's old artwork to see what I mean. One looks like a group of adventurers while the other looks like they're getting ready for an anime convention.
1269624-heroes_of_the_lance.jpg

mywallpaper5ae72.jpg

I agree, the game's art is nowhere near a shit level of the pnp modules, I would even say that from a purely technical standpoint, kingmaker portraits are high quality illustrations. The problem is that, in general, I'm just not a big fan of how fantasy genre is depicted nowadays. Diablo 1/2, Icewind Dale, ToEE were where the genre peaked aesthetically, from then on, it was mostly a decline. For most gamers, Kingmaker's art-style seems like a good compromise between the epic and the silly, unfortunately not so much for me. That's why Realms Beyond is on my radar.

Fedora Master

Arcane
Patron
Edgy

Good.

Yosharian

Arcane
Romance in PnP is just... ugh. I'm not averse to role-playing it out personally, but it's a little awkward to role-play a busty barmaid falling for the rogue's clumsy advances when you're both nerdy guys sitting in a sweaty apartment rolling D20's on a cheeto-encrusted play mat. Still, it can be amusing as long as everyone's on board and secure in their sexuality, haha.

S.torch

Arbiter

Kingmaker
latest

vs

Icewind Dale
latest

You took a bad example. The orc of Icewind Dale is just uglier, the portrait doesn't even look better, it just has less color saturation. At least the portrait of Kingmaker represents a character that is not a monster, which is important because you need to be capable of have some trust in him, he is a companion after all.

If these characters were both female, I doubt that someone would preferer the one in the bottom. So the same metric should be applied for males.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom