Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Game News Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory Released

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Tags: Black Shamrock; Cyanide Studio; Nacon; Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory

Paranoia: Happiness is Mandatory was supposed to have been out on October 3rd. The game looked decent and that date would have put it right between Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones and Disco Elysium, making for a very exciting month for RPGs. But then Bigben announced that the game was going Epic-exclusive for a year, and then it got delayed - twice! Today the game was finally quietly pushed out with no promotion whatsoever. There isn't even a launch trailer.

You can grab Paranoia from the Epic Games Store for $30 (or $35 for the Ultraviolet Edition which includes some cosmetic DLC and an "experimental weapon"). But honestly, if the publisher has so little confidence in their product, I don't see how they can expect gamers to have any. I wonder what the hell happened here.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
Infinitron with the bro-newspost, standing up for a beleaguered game launched without so much as a trailer.

RPG Codex: We take care of our own.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Looks like it might be a misfire, although I would love to be wrong. I was hoping for a charming smaller Shadowrun-esque RPG, but...
Any reviews out there?

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Any reviews out there?

When I said no promotion, I meant no promotion. :P

It's totally bizarre. Obviously there are lots of shovelware games that come out like this without anybody caring or noticing, but this game was promoted normally until August with trailers, dev diaries, previews at IGN and RPS etc...and then just fell off the face of the earth. Never seen anything like it.

Tigranes

Arcane
From the publisher side, it's almost as if the game was cancelled ... but someone just uploaded the code onto the Steam repository.

Ismaul

Thought Criminal #3333
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
The publisher doesn't even have to try to sell the game. It's already sold to their main customer: Epic. And to see that sweet money, they needed to release. Any additional promotion would only cut into their revenue.

Epic: where publishers dump their shit games for guaranteed returns.

Saduj

Arcane
Wouldn't Epic understand that they've incented publishers not to advertise and take over that function themselves?

Junmarko

† Cristo è Re †
Patron
When I said no promotion, I meant no promotion. :P It's totally bizarre.
Odd to disregard promotion prior to release, even for a PC-only title, unless it's in an "early access" state...

thinking.png

Could just be taking the cash bag and 1 year exclusivity to polish the game for another year, before the real release?

Insomnia: The Ark should've done this lol.

The_Mask

Just like Yves, I chase tales.
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
[...] if the publisher has so little confidence in their product, I don't see how they can expect gamers to have any. I wonder what the hell happened here.
I think what they're trying to do is put it on Epic with as little fanfare as possible, raise money from the sales there - if any - for a real advert campaign when they'll be able to release it on Steam, etc.

This tactic might actually work, provided they get decent reviews now.

This, however a solid business tactic it may seem, feels a bit unethical, in my humble opinion.

hexer

I'm actually glad there's no Launch trailer - never liked those.
The game gets released, I either liked it before that and will buy it or I didn't. A sometimes spoiler-heavy launch trailer won't change my mind at the last moment.
Far more useful than that are those "devs play their game" streams.

Anyway, I'm happy to see another PnP got adapted to a CRPG. Will check this out!

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
The game looked decent
:nocountryforshitposters:

It's totally bizarre. Obviously there are lots of shovelware games that come out like this without anybody caring or noticing, but this game was promoted normally until August with trailers, dev diaries, previews at IGN and RPS etc...and then just fell off the face of the earth. Never seen anything like it.
Except it isn't. They struck a deal with Epic exactly in august, so they have already covered a reimbursement deal. From there on, doing anything else would only cost them, so why bother.

Last edited:

Optimist

Savant
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
All the posts above are now classified INDIGO. Please, refrain from possessing information above your current security clearance. Possession of information above your security clearance is treason. Treason is punishable by death.

Honestly, it's somewhat amusing that it launched in total secrecy, what with the Paranoia-esque "that's classified" and "trust no one" memes. Still hope I'll find some time this year to give it a spin.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
[...] if the publisher has so little confidence in their product, I don't see how they can expect gamers to have any. I wonder what the hell happened here.
I think what they're trying to do is put it on Epic with as little fanfare as possible, raise money from the sales there - if any - for a real advert campaign when they'll be able to release it on Steam, etc.

This, however a solid business tactic it may seem, feels a bit unethical, in my humble opinion.
I actually think the same.
Why bother advertising a product if you already got paid for it?
I expect them to spend money on advertising once the game hits Steam.

Still weird. I would think you'd at least want some people to know about it to get reviews, etc.
Oh, well.
We live in interesting times.

Maybe they are relying on Epic's program that rewards blatant shills content creators to promote the game for them on streaming and youtube.

Deleted Member 22431

The problem is that once the game is out, you lose any incentive to buy the game at another platform at full price. It feels kinda cheap. The first months of release are perceived as very important for most players. It shouldn't be from a logical point of view. It should be the opposite, but they are.

Deleted Member 22431

Epic is so fucking evil. They manage to create incentives so that developers can ignore the promotion of their own game, the interest of players, etc. It's total apathy engendered by a monopoly tactic. It feels soulless and rots into the core.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom