Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice (new From Software game)

sullynathan

Arcane
Played 5 hours of this and have beat horse guy, jugo and a few mini bosses and it still has those same souls problems. The same huge enemies with bad collision and will still grab you even after you've evaded them. Mini bosses gain back all their health if you disengage and try to use stealth. I also think I'm in an area that's far ahead of my level. I beat the horse lord and immediately went to the 3 year flashback unexpectedly and I've now reached the old woman with the strings.

This light stealth system is just janky as hell. One enemy seeing you immediately causes all enemies around to aggro even if there's no callout.
I swear there is input lag though. Could be my controller, I'm using a PS4 controller with the Xbox emulator since the game doesn't recognize it.
Talk about input lag, there's a fuck ton of it. It's like the game is unresponsive on purpose, plus it still has lack of animation cancelling when even the most basic mooks can poise right through your attacks.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Wandering the world randomly in search of maps
What drives me nuts about the stealth is how it cancels crouching after every backstab.

Grab hitboxes are a nightmare, stupid bell ogre teleports you under his bell if you are within 30' of him... and he spams it over and over until he gets you. Rubbish.

For every fun boss like Gyoubu there is a dumbass boss like the fire bull. "lol it's on fire and it charges you lolzlzllol. Block THAT, ninja. Also the camera spazzes out and breaks lock-on for some reason." okay then.

But its still really fun when it works. Some enemies I think are designed to auto-counter after so many hits to punish button mashing. Like those samurai guys who will hit you back after two strikes, but then if you hit block you will always get a deflect. So its just pattern memorization.

Last edited:

Grampy_Bone

Arcane
Yeah he's parryable, but there's a difference between parrying a sword swing with a clearly telegraphed wind up and rhythm while your camera is focused on the holder, and blocking a bull whose entire body is a hitbox and just kind of randomly thrashes around while the camera spins like a fucking Jason borne movie.

How do you beat him? Dodge, spam firecracker, bop on the nose. Lame.

sullynathan

Arcane
I beat the lady butterfly after like 5th or 6th try. Taking down her first health bar is easy enough, the second one starts adding unexpected shit. Truthfully, I started using Shuriken because the loading screen said it's effective against fast enemies. Guess it was right. Overall, it's the best boss so far in this early game part that I'm in. Really requires you to use all your tools and deflections without the bullshit delayed attacks that mini-bosses carry. Unfortunately, FROM still hasn't learned that lock-on has to stay on the boss and it still breaks whenever she does some aerial moves.

After this, it's like the game kinda clicked with me and I found the mini bosses a bit easier to deal with, but the flying bird man that crashed into me and killed me was still unexpected.

Bull is one of easiest fights in the game if you parry him. His charging attack when you have some distance from him is really easy to parry too. You just got trolled by this game because you are noob at it, it does that. It tends to make fights look scarier than they really are.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!

Bull is one of easiest fights in the game if you parry him. His charging attack when you have some distance from him is really easy to parry too. You just got trolled by this game because you are noob at it, it does that. It tends to make fights look scarier than they really are.
Yeah. On launch this thread was full of people raging over the bull fight including me but the endgame bull was my bitch. Same with most enemies and bosses. The only exception is the Demon fight, which is retarded, and Sword Saint, which gets easier but never easy.

Grampy_Bone

Arcane

I didn't say it was hard, I said it was stupid.

sullynathan

Arcane
Beat Genichiro first try. Right before Genichiro, I beat the other Ashina guy first time too. I didn't need to use lightning reversal but for some reason it's not even in the skills menu. Is there a point to dragonrot? Will any of the NPC's ever die from it?

I still went to the underground dungeon and there's a teleporting guy that stops me from moving and terror is a bitch.

Last edited:

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Is there a point to dragonrot? Will any of the NPC's ever die from it?

IIRC infected NPCs won't sell you shit or give you side quests until you cure them but they don't die.

Although side quests in this game are just afterthought with barely any rewards (always just a handful of useless consumables) so the entire mechanics feels a bit half-assed and pointless.

sullynathan

Arcane
Bit disappointed with the giant ape and the giraffe. I'm forced to play them ultra defensively only because the latter only has one moveset and that is to constantly spam his attack while the former has very wide swings and an impenetrable terror aura in his second phase. I'll give it credit and say that its hitboxes are much tighter than almost any giant monster FROM has made so far.

Genichiro and the butterfly have been the only two worthwile bosses so far.

sullynathan giraffe can be easily killed by depleting his posture since he spams like crazy.

You literally just spam deflect. Simplest mini-boss in the game. And ape's terror scream is easy to dodge, you just sprint away, never understood complaints about it. I usually take that time to position myself behind its back during scream and just slash away.

sullynathan

Arcane
I actually kinda like the double guardian apes. This shit caught me off-guard when he summoned the second ape. The flash things are very effective.

Is that you in that video? Whoever that is, he needs to git gud. Too much jumping around. Jumping when he should be deflecting, jumping when he needs to be sprinting away from scream.. Also after deflecting that falling strike is the time to use spear to pull the parasite out of Ape's neck.

sullynathan

Arcane
Is that you in that video? Whoever that is, he needs to git gud. Too much jumping around. Jumping when he should be deflecting, jumping when he needs to be sprinting away from scream.. Also after deflecting that falling strike is the time to use spear to pull the parasite out of Ape's neck.
Yea it's me and I'm playing as conservative as possible. Didn't know you could pull out the serpent out, but instead of deflecting the bottom wide attack, I just jumped over it. There's enough opening to do an ichimonji which which takes about as much posture bar and pressing the jump button took less time than the sprint button.

Your default stance in most situations should be blocking because it regenerates posture fastest, unless you need to dodge something or counter perilous sweep attack with jump. From blocking you deflect and a failed deflect should normally end with block. Using sprinting to dodge terror scream is easier to avoid taking any terror buildup at all. Jumping around like this is just noob shit. But of course it's easy for me to say after multiple playthroughs. I was raging really hard at most bosses on first run. Now I love fighting most of them. Just saying these things because game really shines once you get used to countering the shit out of everything, instead of dodging or jumping around.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom