Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

ArchAngel

Arcane
Oh I agree that OG Xcom is better game overall but I cannot play that game my whole life. PP is good enough, it is only a disappointment if you expected it to be better than OG X-com.. but that is your own fault for not tempering your expectations.

flyingjohn

Arcane
Nuxcom is the high quality standard for the genre now. The fact that a bunch of you (which is the 0,003% of the playerbase) think it's bad, it doesn't mean it is. Deal with it.
Considering that only 0.003 percent of the playerbase finishes a single firaxis game tells you all you need to know about such high quality.

Jimmious

Arcane
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
You would be amazed if you saw the same statistic for the old X-COMs. 0.003 percent would be high most probably

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
You would be amazed if you saw the same statistic for the old X-COMs. 0.003 percent would be high most probably
Quality is not a popularity contest. Old XComs were not niche games, as opposed to pure strategy games of the time, and struck gold between complexity and popularity. The simplification of nuXcoms was a marketing strategy, and while definitely successful in terms of sales, the only aspect of it I care about, is how disastrous it was on the game mechanics.

Last edited:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao

This is a game I expect from Bethesda, this game is like the Fallout 76 of XCOM clones.
:salute:

I actually disagree with some of that. Why should you know the exact way its going to look where you are going to run to? You would not know that in a real fire fight, some of that is just a good guess and a hope. I don't mind having to guess and hope, nothing unrealistic about that IMO. Being able to turn and tilt the camera from every possible angle including angles from movements you have yet to even actually make is like being able to see into the future. Maybe some soldier could have that as a cool skill or ability, but not everyone should have that ability.

Yeah,that dude sounds so fucking butthurt. A big hint at his retardation was him comparing it to modern xcom popamoles and not the originals. He sounds really whiny and annoying.

I listened to him a bit more, after comparing it with nuXcom he is so butthurt he says shit like nobody that likes Xcom should play this game. Later his heavy misses a shot from far away and he laughs like a madman and shits on the class and game like it is game's fault he is a retard.

Yeah,he is like one of the souls fan,a casualtard that never really played any games and then played soul/nuxcom and decided that it is the best game in the world and ended up inventing a whole "genre" from it because he is dumb and ignorant casualtard.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
If PP is Fallout 76 than what are nuXcoms? Because in Fallout world you cannot get a worse game than Fallout 76. Your statement is ridiculous. And no I don't want to read your BB5 comments, they are not valid anymore. BB5 biggest problems was that classes were OP as fuck and game was way too easy. Both of those are no longer valid.
The problem with Phoenix Point it's not in a single mechanics or features, but in the general approximation of the whole thing: incomplete or missing fundamental features like mutations, unbalanced mechanics, repetitive assets in map generation, atrocious UI, bug and glitches galore and many others. This is not a complete game, nor a beta: it's still a pre-alpha sold as "1.0", if you can't see it I can't help you.

And if you really think that better production quality of nuXcom games makes them a better game than PP that does all mechanics better then you are a true retard and should stop embarrassing yourself.
I personally don't like NuXcoms but this don't prevent me from recognizing that Phoenix Point have very low production value: the base management screen, for example, would have been embarassing even on an Amiga 500 unexpanded.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I doubt it was that low. First it was made for old school gamers that were not afraid of hard games. Secondly UFO had a bug where difficulty would drop to Easy no matter which one you started with :D

ArchAngel

Arcane
In the end I don't care what anyone things as long as Gollop can release those 5 DLCs and patch the game some more. Even if he does not earn enough money and his company goes bust I will still have a fun game to replay over and over through the years.

Shog-goth

Elder Thing
Patron
In the end I don't care what anyone things as long as Gollop can release those 5 DLCs and patch the game some more. Even if he does not earn enough money and his company goes bust I will still have a fun game to replay over and over through the years.
Indeed, this is probably the most rational approach and I recognize it. Sadly this attitude is also what, like the proverbial boiling frog, took us, little by little, from OG X-Com to this travesty.

PanteraNera

Arcane
PP is good enough, it is only a disappointment if you expected it to be better than OG X-com.. but that is your own fault for not tempering your expectations.
Heh but they actually just delivered what I expected, a half finished game that is pretty much a Beta.

As you can tell I am mostly inactive in this thread, cause I knew that it makes no sense to post news in here if they are not going to make it in the game. And just that happened. Also I lost interest in the game ( I probably have access to the press build but I haven't bother to install Epic to check it out).

Does the game still has potential? Sure. But it has potential since the beginning and I think that a year is not enough to bring it to it's full potential (if you go by the changes between the Backer Builds). Also I believe that with their choice of combining XCOM with X-COM they alienated both crowds to much.

Time will tell, they probably release an extended version/directors cut but by than probably no one cares because of the bad first impression.

Remember they delayed the game twice, got all the epic and Microsoft money and still weren't able to finish it.

Mazisky

Magister
I wonder if anyone is able to make a carbon copy of ufo defense with better graphics, it shouldn't be that hard.

ArchAngel

Arcane
PP is good enough, it is only a disappointment if you expected it to be better than OG X-com.. but that is your own fault for not tempering your expectations.
Heh but they actually just delivered what I expected, a half finished game that is pretty much a Beta.

As you can tell I am mostly inactive in this thread, cause I knew that it makes no sense to post news in here if they are not going to make it in the game. And just that happened. Also I lost interest in the game ( I probably have access to the press build but I haven't bother to install Epic to check it out).

Does the game still has potential? Sure. But it has potential since the beginning and I think that a year is not enough to bring it to it's full potential (if you go by the changes between the Backer Builds). Also I believe that with their choice of combining XCOM with X-COM they alienated both crowds to much.

Time will tell, they probably release an extended version/directors cut but by than probably no one cares because of the bad first impression.

Remember they delayed the game twice, got all the epic and Microsoft money and still weren't able to finish it.
I don't agree with you. From watching it on twitch since release the game has as much content as nuXcom 1 had at release but it does not have fancy ingame animations and lots of VO. But it has much more :incline: combat mechanics.
From day 1 this is what I was expecting. A game that looks like Xcom 2 on the outside but has mechanics much more like OG X-com. And this is what we got. I am installing the game today and I am going to try it myself, I hope I don't run into crash bugs :D
Legendary difficulty of course with self enforced Ironman so if I run into game stopping bugs I can still save my campaign.

Van-d-all

Erudite
Standin' pretty. In this dust that was a city.
I wonder if anyone is able to make a carbon copy of ufo defense with better graphics, it shouldn't be that hard.
Xenonauts tried and failed. Maybe Xeno 2 succeeds.
For all it is (and I consider it to be the best Ufo clone to date), Xenonauts still simplified the game by removing PSI skills for instance. Secondly while Ufo graphics in 1994 were top notch, Xenonauts graphics were way too retro for the general audience automatically pushing them into the niche limbo. Next on, bugs, nasty ones at that, like crashing after missions, eventually mostly fixed, but games rarely get to make a first impression twice (cough, NMS, cough). Add being a kickstarter project with no famous names & marketing on top of that, and you get exactly what it became. A great niche game.

Xeon

Augur
Huh, ammo persist or whatever even after missions, I didn't know that. Was playing then I ran out of ammo for my assault so she just kept running around scouting. I thought it will reload between missions.

Game seems decent so far, kinda hope there will be psy abilities or whatever later similar to XCOM since there is Will stat. Also wonder if game will have similar mods like Long Wars as well.

Edit:
Does anyone know if my weapons get damaged, do I lose my weapons permanently and have to manufacture a new one? I have been grenaded and my weapon was disabled but so far I was lucky and nothing serious happened.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Huh, ammo persist or whatever even after missions, I didn't know that. Was playing then I ran out of ammo for my assault so she just kept running around scouting. I thought it will reload between missions.

Game seems decent so far, kinda hope there will be psy abilities or whatever later similar to XCOM since there is Will stat. Also wonder if game will have similar mods like Long Wars as well.

Edit:
Does anyone know if my weapons get damaged, do I lose my weapons permanently and have to manufacture a new one? I have been grenaded and my weapon was disabled but so far I was lucky and nothing serious happened.
There are psi abilities for both you and enemies. YOu just need to get a Priest to join you first. Then you can dual class any of your guys into Priest class as well.

Space Satan

Arcane
Vatnik
I appreciate what Gollop did. I do not want to experience what Gollop did.
It is not something new, it is a blatant ripoff of nuXcom2. Avatar meter, base, personnel. Invetory is more detail, but you don't need to mess with it. Guты need ammo but removing ammo was the best thing nuXcom did right as wasting 1 action point for reload was more costly than wasting some TU for reload. Realistic ballistics is good on paper, in practice you just do the ame thing.
It is slow, thanks Unity, by the time one mission loads nuXcom2 can load 2 or 3. I just can't force myself to play itas missions re the same as nuXcom but more boring.

Xeon

Augur
For ammo I am kinda iffy or mixed or whatever. Its kinda of a busy work but not quite sure about the later weapons, if ammo gets really expensive for the more powerful guns, it will feel quite a hassle to try and think about my shots during the entire campaign instead of just during the mission. But they could also just added that to try and add resource sink since you might get a lot of resources eventually or something.

For maps, since I am still early the maps are pretty small so they load pretty fast for me and I am not using an SSD. Don't know about bigger maps later game.

jac8awol

Arbiter
Well I'm enjoying the game so far. Exploration is fun and the battles have been a decent challenge. The part that annoys me is the cheap ass bargain bin UI. Every time I want to save or load, I expect to see 'Made in China' printed on the corner.

Ballistic system is cool. I'm undecided on the cover system, seems kinda useless. Best strategy is to just do as much damage as possible (especially area effect) in shortest time. Not sure if I like it or if it seems less tactical.

Research seems a little shallow and doesn't lead to much. Maybe it gets better...

Well yeah the basis for something amazing is there. I expected more, with the delays and Epic money but... I'm happy enough so far and also happy to wait and see. Maybe the DLCs will add a lot. And the thought of a Long War mod with better base and resource management, and aircraft fuel for exploration, would put this in my list of greats.

ArchAngel

Arcane
For ammo I am kinda iffy or mixed or whatever. Its kinda of a busy work but not quite sure about the later weapons, if ammo gets really expensive for the more powerful guns, it will feel quite a hassle to try and think about my shots during the entire campaign instead of just during the mission. But they could also just added that to try and add resource sink since you might get a lot of resources eventually or something.

For maps, since I am still early the maps are pretty small so they load pretty fast for me and I am not using an SSD. Don't know about bigger maps later game.
Ammo is a great addition. I am just watching Cohh do a tough mission and he forgot to load enough ammo for one of his guys. Now the mission changes immediately and new tactics needs to be used.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom