Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Halo: The Master Chief Collection now on Steam

JDR13

Arcane
Visually, I think it looks pretty damn good for a 10 year-old game.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
lol, I feel sorry for the retards who can only watch something if it's 120 FPS or better, even cutscenes. It's clearly a mental illness but, hey, we all have our psych issues, some of them a bit more pronounced than others.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I should check this out though. I played the original Halo on PC years ago and found it quite fun. Then tried to play Halo 2 on Xbox but couldn't stand the clunky mandatory use of a controller, and poor resolution, after getting use to mouse and keyboard and the HD of the PC version. Nice to see this will have different controller scheme support.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
lol, I feel sorry for the retards who can only watch something if it's 120 FPS or better, even cutscenes. It's clearly a mental illness but, hey, we all have our psych issues, some of them a bit more pronounced than others.

Nobody said "only" you fucking try-hard. Just that if you promise high framerate, you should deliver high framerate. This is especially true now that it ends up unlimited framerate in-game is broken as well. Once you get used to 144fps, especially in first-person games, you will notice 60fps being choppier and less fluid.

Let me know when they fix the audio. I'll pass until then.
Same here. I found some potential workarounds, but they involve editing files. Which you can't do with game pass since Windows locks everything down. I probably could download a tool to force ownership of the files but that's more effort than I'm willing to go to to play fucking Halo. Edit a file, yes. Download a program so I can edit the file, fuck it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Finished it. Ending is a long slog of combat but most FPS games do the same thing so whatevs. I upped the resolution to 5k since I was using 60fps and the game looked a lot better that way. Still don't think it looks as good as games like Deus Ex 3 and Dishonored, but it looked more solid. The atmosphere is really good all game, especially for a sci-fi nut like me. I'm sure many PC only gamers like myself would deny it, but there is something unique about Halo's combat and I dig it. Looking forward to the remaster of the original. Might replay some of the early levels of this one at 5k, we'll see.

Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath
Agree. Halo's combat is very solid. It is especially noticable when you play it nowadays when almost all FPSs are dumbed down beyond belief.

If you replay it, try the Legendary difficulty, it really forces a player to play strategically and thoughtfuly.

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Finished it. Ending is a long slog of combat but most FPS games do the same thing so whatevs. I upped the resolution to 5k since I was using 60fps and the game looked a lot better that way. Still don't think it looks as good as games like Deus Ex 3 and Dishonored, but it looked more solid. The atmosphere is really good all game, especially for a sci-fi nut like me. I'm sure many PC only gamers like myself would deny it, but there is something unique about Halo's combat and I dig it. Looking forward to the remaster of the original. Might replay some of the early levels of this one at 5k, we'll see.

Think you gonna like ODST as well. That campaign is pretty cool too. It has this sad melancholic feeling to it.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Legendary is more of an exercise in patience IMO.

I played on the one up from normal... heroic?... and thought it was a nice balanced challenge. Died here and there, had to pay attention and use skill, but it never got annoying except for some of the ending slog. Can't imagine that final section on the hardest mode, oof.

jebsmoker

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
the broken audio mastering in reach is unacceptable. why did microsoft think this is acceptable? i'll patiently wait for a patch, but still, i think tech giant microsoft could afford to test the game on a wide variety of personal computers with varying motherboards that have different onboard sound hardware

Biscotti

Arbiter
Patron
Reach on Legendary is one big cheese fest from start to finish. Played through about half the game on Heroic and then started over on Legendary with a pal of mine and the pace of the game slowed down significantly, especially when fighting Elites. Their AI is fantastic, but goddamn are they a pain in the ass to deal with.

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
I'm thinking about picking up the whole MCC, or should I just pick them selectively? What's the KKCodex consensus about campaign quality? Heard Reach, CE and 2 are gud, then it goes downhill from there. Never played any of the Halo games 'cause Herrenrasse and stuff.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm thinking about picking up the whole MCC, or should I just pick them selectively? What's the KKCodex consensus about campaign quality? Heard Reach, CE and 2 are gud, then it goes downhill from there. Never played any of the Halo games 'cause Herrenrasse and stuff.
I really enjoyed Halo 3, but I'm biased as that's one of the first video games I ever played. From what I understand, Halo 4 and onwards is when things went to shit, with ODST being pretty solid.

EDIT: I personally plan on playing Halo Reach, then Halo 1-3, and finishing off with ODST. From what I've heard and seen, Halo 4 and 5 are pretty shit and not worth playing, as things weren't the same after Bungie stopped developing the series.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Gotta wonder how much of the "Halo 4 and up suck ass" talk is because that's when Bungie left. People let stuff like that color their perceptions. Not saying Halo 4 and 5 are great or anything, I have no idea. Just saying I don't trust the hive-mind on that kind of thing.

ultimanecat

Arcane
Since I was into the series 90% for the campaigns (usually on Legendary), I can safely say that 4’s campaign is still okay but suffers a lot from the engine change and transition to a more CoD type experience. More than any Halo before it it felt like traveling from setpiece to setpiece, where even the “expansive” areas felt boxed in and contained. The new enemies are either annoying in a not-so-fun way or massive damage sponges in an absolutely-not-fun way, and the new weapons are fine but only vaguely different than ones we already had. Since I don’t read the books, the story is not really very comprehensible either and apparently is just somebody at 343 shoehorning some other sci-fi garbage into Halo’s universe. It’s undeniably one of the best looking games of that console generation, though.

I have no experience with 5 but from what I’ve seen it looks like more of that.

God damn, this is rated 92% on Steam. I guess the god-awful audio issues must be a fringe case, because it's so fucked up I can't even stand playing it but apparently it's not dinging 'em too bad. Guess I could see if there are new audio drivers out there, never know.

Edit: Poking around the Steam forums some more and apparently the developer knows it's an issue and claims to be working on it. Guess time'll tell since it looks like I'm SOL as far as newer audio drivers are concerned.

Last edited:

JDR13

Arcane

For that price, you might as well just purchase the collection imo. As far as which titles are the best, it's going to change depending on who you ask.

Valestein

Arcane
Patron
Vatnik
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here Strap Yourselves In
I've always considered CE/1 to have the weakest campaign of the main ones due to it's repetitive and boring level design, with the best(worst?) example of this being the mission "the library" and another example is one mission being a previous one but in reverse. I definitely prefer 4 over it and since we're discussing Reach, that campaign is much preferable too.

JDR13

Arcane
Yeah, the level design in Halo CE sucks at times. However, the story was a lot better than I expected, and I enjoyed the campaign because of it.

That said, I don't have much of a basis for comparison since the only other Halo game I've played so far is Halo 2.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
God damn, this is rated 92% on Steam. I guess the god-awful audio issues must be a fringe case, because it's so fucked up I can't even stand playing it but apparently it's not dinging 'em too bad. Guess I could see if there are new audio drivers out there, never know.

Fairly sure everyone has the same audio issues, you're probably just more sensitive to it. I noticed some crackling here and there, and the guns sounded super weak, but none of it really bothered me much.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom