Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Underrail: The Incline Awakens

ciox

Liturgist
I see DC is still as disliked as ever.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. The two things that make DC suck so hard are the respawning enemies and the lack of an actual city hub with friendly faces. If the Faceless encampment was more than just an encampment, but a place with actual buildings, people to talk to, and quests to do, the monotony of DC combat and drudgery would be alleviated so much. I usually stop at DC because the encounters aren't very fun, and I get tired of fight after fight with no break. The actual Hollow Earth center is very cool, and I wouldn't change the content (I'd make the maze shorter because fuck that shit, and I'd get rid of the aids respawning enemies in the Mushroom forest too, but that's it).

Except that would ruin the whole theme of the place and how it's supposed to be an undertaking, even now it feels kind of lukewarm if you mess around in the warehouse too much (it's fully stocked with everything you could ever imaginably require) or get too friendly with the Faceless.
I think the main reason people are frustrated with DC is the way in which their old tactics fail, shooting it out doesn't work as well simply because enemies quickly respawn... and stealth doesn't work as well simply because enemy counts are high enough that you bump into them (especially at higher difficulties) or they quickly detect you in some weird way like the worms.

Black Angel

Arcane
I don't necessarily dislike DC. I think I got lucky because from my two only finished playthrough, it was all stealthy, making it easier for me to walk around DC. Not to mention I found a 'hack' of a sort for Mushroom Forest on my second playthrough, rendering it a total cakewalk that it isn't a bad area in and of itself for me (though the way to get there is still mind-boggling).

But, having played Expedition, I guess it's kind of a wake-up call to how the worst of DC somehow manifested itself in the Black Sea, into a form many times even worst. It weighed on me, I realized, especially imagining myself playing a non-stealthy character. Hence, like I said, upon having my current playthrough character arrived in the Institute, I can't bear the burden any longer.

Old One

Arcane
-what exactly happens if you steal traitor's radio and turn him in to Briggs (aside from pirates turning hostile)?

You upset their plans to abduct the professor, so it never happens. The pirate kidnappers get slaughtered instead. Also, they never block the tunnel leading from the island to their base.
What what WHAT??????!!!!

I never identified the traitor in my last playthrough. What the actual fuck???????????

I actually thwarted the kidnapping "by accident" the first time I ran through Expedition, simply because I was going around picking every pocket I could find.

Sheepherder

Augur
And done!
Killed Tchort in one burst. Used medic belt. Used stasis to freeze myself right before him, then burst.
XJeqyO9.jpg

nAgePCh.jpg
Faceless. Took Last stand at lvl 30 just for this fight. Started the fight at sub 30% health and with lots of drugs activated in previous area. Starting at 100% HP is imo worse. Left commander for last, it's better to start the fight by bursting a bunch of mobs. If faceless cast billocation - restart. Stasis saved the day.
p4jOBRW.jpg
A burst at the start of the fight, during one of the attempts.
Before:
fnPxEvn.jpg
And after:
xuvoJyE.jpg

Tygrende

Arbiter
Faceless. Took Last stand at lvl 30 just for this fight. Started the fight at sub 30% health and with lots of drugs activated in previous area. Starting at 100% HP is imo worse. Left commander for last, it's better to start the fight by bursting a bunch of mobs. If faceless cast billocation - restart. Stasis saved the day.
One of if not the hardest fight on DOMINATING in my experience. Probably the only one where I genuinely felt I have to go all out and use every single thing I could possibly use to gain an advantage and still needed a lot of reloads. Which is fitting, since it's the optional last fight of the whole game. If you don't count the respawning Goliathus army before the elevator.

Sheepherder

Augur
One of if not the hardest fight on DOMINATING in my experience. Probably the only one where I genuinely felt I have to go all out and use every single thing I could possibly use to gain an advantage and still needed a lot of reloads. Which is fitting, since it's the optional last fight of the whole game. If you don't count the respawning Goliathus army before the elevator.
Yeah, it's the hardest fight in the game, mostly to do with the map having few chokepoints. Too bad it's locked behind the whole of DC.

Sheepherder

Augur
So what loadout with shotguns works best? Combat I mean. Forward grip or choke? Long or short barrel?
Short with grip on both auto and pump. Grip reduces pump shotty to 20 AP, which allowed me to burst and shoot once on the same turn.
I used Vindicator and Despot as they both have crit dmg bonus over 100. Despot needs to reload after each burst, but that wasn't a problem past silent isle.

ciox

Liturgist
Needler crossbow ability has 3 turn cooldown so it will get all special attack bonuses, can crit (
incline.png
) and pierces through targets pretty often even if you have no crossbow skill and low accuracy.
Also sometimes when piercing an enemy it multi-hits them, so enjoy that while it lasts.

hZCIyfT.png

7Eueyz0.png

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I don't necessarily dislike DC. I think I got lucky because from my two only finished playthrough, it was all stealthy, making it easier for me to walk around DC. Not to mention I found a 'hack' of a sort for Mushroom Forest on my second playthrough, rendering it a total cakewalk that it isn't a bad area in and of itself for me (though the way to get there is still mind-boggling).

But, having played Expedition, I guess it's kind of a wake-up call to how the worst of DC somehow manifested itself in the Black Sea, into a form many times even worst. It weighed on me, I realized, especially imagining myself playing a non-stealthy character. Hence, like I said, upon having my current playthrough character arrived in the Institute, I can't bear the burden any longer.

The one area in Expedition I barely explored at all was the swamp. I had a good character, both good at combat and stealth, the difficulty was not the problem... but the sheer level of annoyance. Seaborne enemies that shoot venomous projectiles at you? Yep. Good luck with those if you got a melee build lol. Locust nests that keep spawning locusts until you destroy them? Yep.

The locust nests are the worst fucking thing. I expected them to only appear in that one research center where you first find them, but then they're all over the place. Oh god.

Jaceface

Finally got the chance to play this, really liking the atmosphere so far. Has some rough patches but this game got soul.

ItsChon

Resident Zoomer
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
The one area in Expedition I barely explored at all was the swamp. I had a good character, both good at combat and stealth, the difficulty was not the problem... but the sheer level of annoyance. Seaborne enemies that shoot venomous projectiles at you? Yep. Good luck with those if you got a melee build lol. Locust nests that keep spawning locusts until you destroy them? Yep.
If you remove the Locusts and make the sea-borne enemies just a little more hittable, the entire swamp area would have been a lot of fun. I enjoyed all the sections where the Locusts weren't involved, specifically dealing with the siphoners and crabs. It's very satisfying kiting them out and killing them one-by-one.

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
You know what is the worst? I've bought the expansion as it released, played some time to finally get the expansion things going, i've got bored replaying same things, ditched the playthrough, and now im after a few months im sad that i can't get to enjoy the expansion. Wish there was some kind of kickstart, like start on lvl 9 and get to the expansion business :(

Twiglard

Poland Stronk
Patron
Staff Member
Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut
Is Expedition any good? Is it worth starting another build? How many hours for a completionist expansion playthrough?

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is Expedition any good? Is it worth starting another build? How many hours for a completionist expansion playthrough?
I haven't completed the expansion yet. I'm in that area now. A lot more wordy than the main campaign and there are some big battles. I've played aproximately 3 hours of Expedition content. I don't mind big battles even if it can feel like a slog at times, but it feels like they went overboard with the wordiness.
My personal opinion is that the expansion is worth it, even at full price. And yes, it is worth another playthrough if you test a new build.

I was playing a psi mon for several hours, but I restarted as a full psi dude. I somewhat regret it, because I want to punch things. The monk was fun but very likely unoptimized. If I ever replay the game for a second full playthrough, I 'll do the psy monk again.

Citizen

The only game where traps are not gay. I need to finally finish a crossbow + traps playthrough :negative:

Wunderbar

Arcane
Is Expedition any good?
it's OK. Don't expect interesting quests and c&c, expedition is 100% about combat and dungeon crawling.
Is it worth starting another build?
more underrail is always good, but tbh i've enjoyed my second playthough of main campaign more than i've enjoyed Expedition itself.
How many hours for a completionist expansion playthrough?
depends on your build. I played it with crossbow build, and it was dreadfully hard since most of Black sea enemies are either armored robots, or humans who attack you in waves so you can't just ambush them via stealth.

Sykar

Arcane
I have only done some early parts so far so my impression are only for those early few missions. First and foremost, it looks beautiful. Nice new music and the premise is fine as well. I love the new PSI school and went for Timelord arena name on my pure PSI just for the fun of it. Cannot say much about the new weapons. The drawback so far is that combat is long and attrition based purely on the immense numbers of enemies per encounter and also amount of encounters which are hard to circumvent because enemies spawn directly next to you from the ground for example. Either you have really high initiative, are a walking tank or have really good stealth, otherwise you will get eaten alive. You will need loads of consumables as well. Some encounters are plain unfair. Just today I went exploring on my Jet Ski, spawned on the new map and was essentially surrounded by around 15 enemies ALL of which acted before me. I almost survived it but then a 6th sea serpent came and took that last shot. Frustrating to say the least that you can die like that with no way of knowing beforehand.

Edit: Forgot to add a lot of the ambush packs that spawn right next to you also tend to spawn in tight quarters. Have fun having little to no room to kite with Snipers and other ranged characters.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom