Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
wtf even some music has been leaked too

Capcom sending their ninjas to Sony in Japan

Wirdschowerdn

Ph.D. in World Saving
Patron
2oh63w8ont241.jpg

Bigg Boss

Arcane
No, it's an outrage they will never make another real Resident Evil game. To hell with Resident Evil 4 and all who liked it. Even myself.

REmake 2 wasn't a real RE game?
Also RE4 is a great game, no shame in liking it.

Not the kind that I grew up playing and enjoying. The genre was at it's peak back then. Then Resident Evil 4 came out.

iu

See those those nice camera angles?

iu

See how this is no longer scary? You are basically an action movie star.

iu

You will never get a nice setup like this in the newer games. Even Revelations, a supposed return to form, was just like Resident Evil 4. It also sucked balls.

iu

Instead of this we will be getting a 3rd person shooter. Don't say tank controls are a problem either. They modified those in the first Remake HD. I understand the old school style didn't sell as much as the third person shooter/boulder punching style, but that does not mean I have to like it. I can't even force myself to beat Remake 2. It's not scary. It's not hard. It's boring and half ass.

iu

But I am aware I seem to be the last person on the planet that gives a shit. The tension is just not there. Fucking Mr. X is broken as hell, so I have no hope for Nemesis. You can tell he just teleports all over the fucking place.

ultimanecat

Arcane
But I am aware I seem to be the last person on the planet that gives a shit. The tension is just not there. Fucking Mr. X is broken as hell, so I have no hope for Nemesis. You can tell he just teleports all over the fucking place.

If anything, RE2 Remake (and potentially this new one) is more horror-oriented and difficult than the original ever was. RE2 was always easy and has like two or three effective jump scares in an otherwise well-lit and more action-focused game. RE3 is even more action focused - it introduced quick turning, dodging, and ammo mixing.

I think a cinematic mode like the original would still be an okay addition to RE3 Remake though, since there’s only one playable character and replay will be more limited than RE2 Remake.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

If anything, RE2 Remake (and potentially this new one) is more horror-oriented and difficult than the original ever was. RE2 was always easy and has like two or three effective jump scares in an otherwise well-lit and more action-focused game. RE3 is even more action focused - it introduced quick turning, dodging, and ammo mixing.

I think a cinematic mode like the original would still be an okay addition to RE3 Remake though, since there’s only one playable character and replay will be more limited than RE2 Remake.

The series was always action focused. Silent Hill was the really scary one. But RE had good scares and weapons to deal with them. I disagree about Resident Evil 2 and 3 though. 3 is the most action focused but then you have the scenes in the Hospital, Clock Tower, and Sewer Facility.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I can't even force myself to beat Remake 2. It's not scary. It's not hard. It's boring and half ass.
What I'm going to say is irrelevant to your quite correct point about the virtues of old RE being lost, but ... you can easily make RE2R hard and scary by shutting off the UI. With no crosshair, ammo management becomes a damn nightmare and the world is fucked up again. This is what I do to reclaim that old feeling, so necessary to horror, of not having total control.

Last edited:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
But I am aware I seem to be the last person on the planet that gives a shit. The tension is just not there.

I'm with you on this. The RE games prior to 4th installment were as though you were watching and playing a protagonist in a horror movie at the same time. Doors and corners were possibly a dreadful encounter, so it created a lot of tension with the unknown. The later installments (and RE2 remake) over-shoulder camera angle is more an action game compared to the earlier games which are angled more like an adventure game. The originals are truly a product of their time in a good way. The pace of the game is also much faster in later RE installments due to angles and game design, so it's a different kind of experience.

We can probably just say that RE2 and RE3 remakes are re-imaginings at this point. They could theoretically design RE3 "remake" better to obtain an experience similar to the earlier games, but that is probably asking too much at this point. Teleporting and unlimited spawn of certain enemies seems to also become a thing as time goes on instead of crafted encounters.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
What I'm going to say is irrelevant to your quite correct point about the virtues of old RE being lost, but ... you can easily make RE2R hard and scary by shutting off the UI. With no crosshair, ammo management becomes a damn nightmare and the world is fucked up again. This is what I do to reclaim that old feeling of not having total control so necessary to horror.

Alien Isolation scared the shit out of me when one-hit-kill Alien was on my ass and I was out of flamethrower rounds, and it didn't have to control like shit to do it.

Zombra

Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Alien Isolation scared the shit out of me when one-hit-kill Alien was on my ass and I was out of flamethrower rounds, and it didn't have to control like shit to do it.
Confused. RE2R's controls aren't shit, with or without crosshair. Taking away the crosshair simply makes aiming harder and more stressful. Silent Hill proved that enabling sweet twitch skillz is not necessary for a good horror experience.

Agree that Isolation is an excellent horror game.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
Confused. RE2R's controls aren't shit, with or without crosshair. Taking away the crosshair simply makes aiming harder and more stressful. Silent Hill proved that enabling sweet twitch skillz is not necessary for a good horror experience.

I thought your "not having total control" comment was about me saying the old console games controlled like shit, since you tagged that post "not sure if serious." I've seen a ton of people on the internet praise the controls of 1-CV because "bad controls make for better horror" which is a fucking retarded notion. Has nothing to do with the recent ones.

Zombra

Patron
I thought your "not having total control" comment was about me saying the old console games controlled like shit, since you tagged that post "not sure if serious." I've seen a ton of people on the internet praise the controls of 1-CV because "bad controls make for better horror" which is a fucking retarded notion. Has nothing to do with the recent ones.
Ah. I thought you were replying directly to my suggestion about turning off the crosshair, not to my broader position.

I won't say that I loved the controls of the RE originals; I will battle you on slamming the static camera, though. Bigg Boss's post on the previous page has already illustrated the atmospheric value of the aesthetic, that an action camera simply can't recreate.

Last edited:

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
The Resident evil series was never action focused in the first place, it was all about resources management and exploration, with backtracking and carefully designed maps (Being able to face the horror doesn't equal action). This is what REmake 2 brought back and potentially REmake 3 can bring back again too. And you still all complaining about muh camera angles. Fuck off, you deserve to being stuck in a room with [stageblowup]Resident evil 6[/stageblowup] for all the eternity. :x

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Yes, tell us what the games were about that came out before you were born.

iu

I wonder if they will cut this like the zapping system?

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Yes, tell us what the games were about that came out before you were born.

Thankfully I was born long before the original games came out and I've playing them since then. Try again, and make sure this time of not writing an ad verecundiam fallacy again.

I wonder if they will cut this like the zapping system?

The live selection system from RE3 is not just the substitute of the zapping system. It is also the substitute of not having two fully story playable characters like in the prior games. It's a more important mechanic for that the game than the zapping system ever was for RE2. So my bet is that it will be in the remake somehow.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom