Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games you remember having a blast with

mondblut

Arcane
There is in my experience. Back in the great NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx days the only games with good story were RPG's. That carried over largely into the PSX era. Sure, Soul Reaver is one exception in that case. Resident Evil is cool. Silent Hill.
But RPG's always have more dialog/text so more story to work with. Unless you are talking about the old Wizardry clones like Might and Magic which are barely RPG's.

I see. You'll need to wear this while you're staying here:

images

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Duke 3D when I first played the more racy shareware version (as opposed to later censored builds) the year after it was released. Had just played shareware Doom but found it overrated, dark and gloomy (ironic since i now consider it and Doom 2 the most seminal games in PC history) but Duke3D was a wonderful dose of perverse, lighthearted cheerfulness that probably provided the first (and maybe the only) time I felt I was truly having a blast.

Citizen

Dunno, I treated it as "what was your favorite game before you grew to become a jaded, cynical, genre-savvy asshole" - keyword being "remember". I could name a number of games from the past 20 years as my "favorites", but I wasn't really "having a blast" with them

Yea, having a blast is not really related to the game's quality. It's more of a combination of an enjoyable game, enough free time and being in a mood for lotsa gaming. I included UFO:Extraterrestrials in the list not because it's the best X-com game, but just because it was the first X-com clone I played, and when I did I was having a lot of free time to sink into it, so - a blast

Chaosdwarft

Learned
Patron
Age of Empire 1
Rise of the Triad
Quake 2 & 3 (Arena)
EU2
CK1
Anno 1602
Civ 4
Rome Total War
Medieval Total War 2
Pharoh
Fallout New Vegas
Red Alert 2
C&C Tiberium Dawn
Warcraft 3
M&B Warband
Blood Omen 1
Anno 1404
Farcry
Battle for Middle Earth 2
Star Wars Battlefront 2
Battlefield 1942
Constructor
SAGA: Rage of the Vikings
PES 6
Dark Souls 2
Supreme Commander
Fallout 1
Mass Effect 1
Witcher 1

and many more...

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
There is in my experience. Back in the great NES, SNES, Genesis, TurboGrafx days the only games with good story were RPG's. That carried over largely into the PSX era. Sure, Soul Reaver is one exception in that case. Resident Evil is cool. Silent Hill.
But RPG's always have more dialog/text so more story to work with. Unless you are talking about the old Wizardry clones like Might and Magic which are barely RPG's.

"Every game is an RPG because you play a role!"

Pero_Gamechuck

Gamechuck
Developer
Great thread!

Older games:
  • Warcraft 1, 2
  • Diablo 2
  • Duke 3D
  • Rollercoaster Tycoon 1, 2
  • Championship/Football Manager
  • Fallout 2
  • Half-Life 1
  • FIFA 98
  • PES 6
  • NFS 3: Hot Pursuit
  • GTA: SA
  • SimCity 3
New-ish and newer games:
  • The Witcher 3
  • Cities: Skylines
  • Batman Arkham games
  • Torchlight 2
  • Software Inc.
  • Euro Truck Simulator 2
  • Red Dead 2

mondblut

Arcane
Yea, having a blast is not really related to the game's quality. It's more of a combination of an enjoyable game, enough free time and being in a mood for lotsa gaming.

A combination of an enjoyable game and being a naive dove-eyed kid who doesn't know any better is more like it.

Bigg Boss

Arcane

"Every game is an RPG because you play a role!"

Yes, I'm sure some could not tell if I was joking or not. That is how far the decline went. If you look off in the distance you can see where it is going.

blurbo

Novice
Yea, having a blast is not really related to the game's quality. It's more of a combination of an enjoyable game, enough free time and being in a mood for lotsa gaming.

A combination of an enjoyable game and being a naive dove-eyed kid who doesn't know any better is more like it.
yep that sums it up nicely, without losing the hope of having fun again with that particular game or similar stuff. I was obviously looking for suggestions and I got plenty so thank you all for that. I'm sure there's a distinction between "good" and "fun", but I have lost any hope to define the first when it comes to videogames - there are way too many parameters and they're all linked to a fulfilling subjective experience, which is always shaped by gazillions of internal factors, some of which can be flat-out embarrassing (taste in the writing of npc romances? does it let you experience the joys of parenting? etc.).

fun is also subjective but at least it evokes a narrower field of experience (i.e. I could hardly say that I had a blast with ps:t - life changing experience and all, but I'm not gonna sit through that combat again. Who doesn't love blowing shit up every once in a while, on the other hand). So "fun" is my zero-grade now

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
The 1996 Creatures game - kind of still blows my mind, prevents me from looking at most newer virtual life simulator. Maybe also Majesty:The Fantasy Kingdom Sim because since it was no normal RTS and I got to watch things happen without my input (some) of the time.
I guess the last one I experienced at a really young age would be a demo called Spooky Castle - which mostly blew my mind because it was the first game I played where enemy attacks and bodies DID NOT both have a hitbox - I was so used to 2D action games with "toxic skin" where all contact = damage.

Wyatt_Derp

Arcane
Operation Flashpoint. Set the stage for modern pewpews, open worlds, and mil sims. Tons of hours sunk into those missions and then even more with the mission editor and early days of mods.

And though I'm burned out on them now, the 90s and early 00s was a great time for RTS. C&C, Age of Empires, StarCraft, etc, they were all required reading for nerd gamer class.

Silva

Arcane
Off the top of your head, no particular order and without too much mnemonic effort. Thinking less of games that got you hooked for the writing/atmosphere, and more of satisfying mechanics/exploration.
Interestingly, I the first to come to mind are the emotional ones. I think I'm an emotive person?

Zelda: a Link to the Past (the intro, you wake up and go out in the rain)
Deus Ex (entering UNATCO first time with that song in the background).
Dark Souls 2 (Majula with the music in the back and sea view ahead).
Nier Automata (that tower ascension, and the ending).
SOMA (the ending, lights go out like a punch to the guts)
What Remains of Edith Finch (the younger brother room, I cried).

As bizarre as it sounds, the gameplay aspect that made me emotional in a "what an achievement" sense was MGSV Phantom Pain and it's open-world + base managing + missions structure .... at least until I realized the game was an incomplete and repetitive piece of shit.

Runciter

Augur
If you're looking for deeper mechanics:
  • Space Engineers
  • Project Zomboid
  • Wargame: Red Dragon
  • CK2
  • DCS

Risewild

Arbiter
Without any specific order:
  • Mask 2 (Spectrum)
  • Captain Blood (Spectrum)
  • Vampire's Empire (Spectrum)
  • Sid Meier's Pirates (NES version)
  • Operation Wolf
  • Platoon (the 80's one)
  • Sid Meier's Civilization II
  • Magic The Gathering "Shandalar" (Duels of the Planeswalkers Edition)
  • Mount & Blade Warbands
  • Crusader Kings 2
  • Masters of Orion 2
  • Kunio Kun no Nekketsu Soccer League (I knew it as "Goal 3" since that was what was written on the game cartridge)
  • Command and Conquer Red Alert and Red Alert 2
  • The Elder Scrolls II Daggerfall
  • The Elder Scrolls III Morrowind
  • Fallout 1
  • Fallout 2
  • Faster Than Light
  • Majesty The Fantasy Kingdom Sim
  • Comic Book Hero The Greatest Cape
  • Freedom Force
  • Final Fantasy Tactics (original PSX)
  • Front Mission 3
  • Suikoden II
  • Final Fantasy VI
  • Fjnal Fantasy VII
I'm forgetting tons of games, but I don't have any more time to continue this post.

Last edited:

Tancred

Learned
STALKER
Dark Souls
Deus Ex
Hitman C47 thru to BM
Prince of Persia: Sands of Time (a friend had PoP 3D several years before as well)
Thief I & II
VtMB
NOLF 1 & 2
AoE II
Red Alert

from my n64/cube days:
Perfect Dark
GoldenEye
Conker's Bad Fur Day
Metroid Prime/Echoes
Baten Kaitos
Geist (sue me, I liked it)

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
Zork
Enchanter
Ultima III
Ultima IV
Starflight
King's Quest II
King's Quest III
Civilization
Master of Orion
Apache Gunship 2000
M1 Tank Platoon
Warlords

Last edited:

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
King's Quest II
King's Quest III

King's Quest V blew my mind back in the day. It was right when my mother got me into PC games after the SNES, and I'd seen her play some earlier stuff like Space Quest III. However KQ5, with the voice acting and beautiful graphics that I thought looked like a painting at the time... it was an incredible experience. That game, among others like Dark Forces and Lands of Lore, cemented me as a PC gamer.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
King's Quest II
King's Quest III

King's Quest V blew my mind back in the day. It was right when my mother got me into PC games after the SNES, and I'd seen her play some earlier stuff like Space Quest III. However KQ5, with the voice acting and beautiful graphics that I thought looked like a painting at the time... it was an incredible experience. That game, among others like Dark Forces and Lands of Lore, cemented me as a PC gamer.

Yeah KQV was a huge step up in production values from earlier KQ games. VGA graphics and improved sound/music (much like Ultima VI which also came out in 1990). Good times.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom