Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Pathfinder Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous Pre-Release Thread [GAME RELEASED, GO TO NEW THREAD]

Lacrymas

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath
Aha, you are EPIC MYTHIC just because you are EPIC MYTHIC and it essentially replaces EPIC levels without going above lvl 20, got it.

I don't like it.

Onionguy

Educated
You took a bad example. The orc of Icewind Dale is just uglier, the portrait doesn't even look better, it just has less color saturation. At least the portrait of Kingmaker represents a character that is not a monster, which is important because you need to be capable of have some trust in him, he is a companion after all.

If these characters were both female, I doubt that someone would preferer the one in the bottom. So the same metric should be applied for males.

Ok, so here's how I see it. We are talking about Half- Orc, that means we need a character that looks half human and half beast. Regongar does not exactly fit that description. To me, the art shows some average guy with fangs that turned green when he found out that his sweetheart Octavia sold her tasty elven ass to the player's char. There is nothing particularly fearsome about him; so unless Pathfinder's concept of half-orcs doesn't depart too far from DnD canon, according to which, the race is often despised and shunned by the others, I am not buying that depiction.

The darker picture below, shows a monster that certainly can fill hearts with dread. You can almost smell the ulcer ridden skin, feel the stench of his breath. He is a beast, but at the same time he is also a human. From the dignity with which he wears his armor and holds the shield to the presence of shrewd, civilized awareness in his eyes, we can sense that he keeps his monstrous nature in check . After all, he's the creature to be afraid of but also feel respect for.

The author of that Icewind dale's illustration new quite well what he was going for; but that's not a big surprise, since as a whole, IWD/IWD 2 exhibit astonishing quality and consistency in the art department, unmatched by any other video game since. Sad.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Owlcat's illustrator can't draw feet and it's maddening. Learn to draw feet, you lazy sod.

If you look at the PF 2 cover, the characters are even more stylized, but the whole picture isn't. It's a strange mix. Amiri looks less comical in the newer artwork.

Disagree. https://i.imgur.com/YqlOHRy.jpg

New Amiri looks far too pale and waifish for a barbarian, it's pathetic. Barbarians should be thick and tanned. She got a breast reduction too.

jf8350143

Liturgist
Why can't they give her bigger muscles?

Why can't they give all female characters that are good at physical fighting bigger muscles? They shouldn't be looking even thinner than an average super model.

DmvrhjvU0AYAn3c.jpg:large

Odyssey is a shit rpg but at least the female's body size makes sense.

Gregz

Arcane
  1. Fedora Master:
    At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE
  2. Junmarko:
    yeah looks good. most people seem to have positive feedback on it
  3. Felix:
    Won't remove it from an inventory though
  4. Gregz:
    Fedora Master: At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE <- no, this is where most of the Codex is confused
  5. Gregz:
    Owlcat took a system with rules, and forced the player to play by them, then proceeded to break every rule imaginable on the DM side
  6. Fedora Master:
    Fair point
  7. Gregz:
    that's probably the biggest stink of the whole affair
  8. Junmarko:
    Yeah heard PF was made up of people who left DnD
  9. Gregz:
    rules are a contract between the players and DM, Owlcat shat over that entire paradigm
  10. Fedora Master:
    Thats what I meant by "designed to appear hardcore"
  11. Gregz:
    what they did was MUCH worse than anything Sawyer ever did

Pablosdog

Prophet
Have you guys seen 2e pathfinder lmao? I'm 90 percent certain that paizo will meddle with what they are making.

Yosharian

Arcane
Owlcat's illustrator can't draw feet and it's maddening. Learn to draw feet, you lazy sod.

If you look at the PF 2 cover, the characters are even more stylized, but the whole picture isn't. It's a strange mix. Amiri looks less comical in the newer artwork.

New Amiri looks far too pale and waifish for a barbarian, it's pathetic. Barbarians should be thick and tanned. She got a breast reduction too.
The choice of body type in the second image is fucking ridiculous, but that side it is a MUCH better drawing. For example, in the first picture look at the way Amiri's arm is drawn back yet the sword she's holding is in front of her body. It makes no fucking sense.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
STROOOOOOOOOoooooooOoooooooooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOONK!
Why isn't she old? Age is just a number, ageist oppressor.
News from the Discord all mythic paths are based on creatures and are not taken from the PNP
Also, Mythic Paths are not optional you have to take one. They are now unlocked via quests/events and are hidden in the game
They also revealed demon as a mythic path accidentally
Can my Mythic Path be Salmon of Knowledge?

Xeon

Augur
Not sure if the image is of a fighter or a paladin but I really hope they don't include the backpack again, don't remember if the toon changed their look based on armor worn.

Yosharian

Arcane
Not sure if the image is of a fighter or a paladin but I really hope they don't include the backpack again, don't remember if the toon changed their look based on armor worn.
Yes, characters in Kingmaker change appearance based on equipped armor.

jf8350143

Liturgist
STROOOOOOOOOoooooooOoooooooooOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOoooooooooOOOOOOOONK!
Why isn't she old? Age is just a number, ageist oppressor.
News from the Discord all mythic paths are based on creatures and are not taken from the PNP
Also, Mythic Paths are not optional you have to take one. They are now unlocked via quests/events and are hidden in the game
They also revealed demon as a mythic path accidentally
Can my Mythic Path be Salmon of Knowledge?

Why would she look old? Her backstory doesn't say anything about her being old, but it did said she was suppose to be a strong character, with 16 strength and carries a huge ass sword. I'm not saying she needs to be drawn like a body builder or anything but at least look like a health human being instead of a little girl who has never eat enough in her whole life.

vonAchdorf

Arcane

OK, you are correct. I saw a different illustration, in which her sword was drawn quite smaller and she looked a more tomboyish.

S.torch

Arbiter
The darker picture below, shows a monster that certainly can fill hearts with dread. You can almost smell the ulcer ridden skin, feel the stench of his breath. He is a beast, but at the same time he is also a human.

The thing that you posted doesn't look like a human at all. It's look like a ugly monster. And if you like monster like companions, that's up to you, but I prefer monsters to be in the edge of my character's sword, not fighting along with me. That's why I welcome Pathfinder's attempt to show them more as humans. The "DnD canon" doesn't matter at all, because DnD orcs came from Tolkien's orcs, who are nothing more than evil creatures and so are their offspring. Any atempt to despise half-orcs like good people is already a contradiction, so may has well portray them more human-like.

So in this regard Pathfinder's art is doing better, because instead of trying to normalize a contradiction of an evil ugly monster being good, they just drop the monster-look. :obviously:

Elex

Arbiter
  1. Fedora Master:
    At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE
  2. Junmarko:
    yeah looks good. most people seem to have positive feedback on it
  3. Felix:
    Won't remove it from an inventory though
  4. Gregz:
    Fedora Master: At least Kingmaker is based on an actual system and not some made up shit by Mr BALANCE <- no, this is where most of the Codex is confused
  5. Gregz:
    Owlcat took a system with rules, and forced the player to play by them, then proceeded to break every rule imaginable on the DM side
  6. Fedora Master:
    Fair point
  7. Gregz:
    that's probably the biggest stink of the whole affair
  8. Junmarko:
    Yeah heard PF was made up of people who left DnD
  9. Gregz:
    rules are a contract between the players and DM, Owlcat shat over that entire paradigm
  10. Fedora Master:
    Thats what I meant by "designed to appear hardcore"
  11. Gregz:
    what they did was MUCH worse than anything Sawyer ever did
the DM can change the rule (and generally they must) the important part is keep the same rule from the start to the end of a campaign and not change the rule every time.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom