Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Neocron Evolution

https://www.neocron-game.com/

Old game still kept alive I don't know how I don't know why.
Two thirds through beta Neocron was the most amazing MMORPG ever, so filled with people (whose characters had physicality was in place and could or couldn't be shoved depending on their stats) that it was necessary to know lesser used paths in order to avoid too crowded streets, features were abundant and more were yet to come, there were no classes a la ultima, graphics were good and atmosphere was top notch.
Then Reakktor started pulling features away and canceling those promised. Many people left even before the end of free beta, launch ended in a massacre.

Today Neocron graphics are utter crap, controls are pretty bad, interface is convoluted and especially crafting tools could use a streamlining but after the death of Fallen Earth I felt nostalgic so do yourself a favor and try this, because it fills me with sadness to watch Neocron with NOBODY playing it.

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Man, I used to play the hell out of this game when I was... younger.

Today Neocron graphics are utter crap, controls are pretty bad, interface is convoluted and especially crafting tools could use a streamlining but after the death of Fallen Earth I felt nostalgic so do yourself a favor and try this, because it fills me with sadness to watch Neocron with NOBODY playing it.
I actually tried it "recently", about a year ago or so. Runs well on Linux, Wine be praised.
Anyway... the controls and interface killed it for me. I just don't have the patience to deal with games that get in my way like that anymore.

deama

Prophet
I played it several months ago for the first time, was fairly interesting but I remember having some problems with the interfaces and what to do.

reakktor failed to deliver neocron in the first place. why should i trust them to be able to deliver it *again*?

i got out of the tutorial zone and i saw people. PEOPLE! living people in the city of neocron! 10 of them where there used to be 1000, but people!
also walking in front of where my character used to live left on my face a huge smile. i'm just too damn romantic for this world =_=

today i teamed with two other people in a low level area. i'm going to cry.

the grind is pretty heavy, i remember tinkering with lots of implants from the get-go but now i have to be shot in the face for hours to level up some constitution.

ADL

Prophet
Shame Reakktor got duped into believing that they'd be able to cash in on arena shooters with Toxikk. No one bought it or played it and now we might not get a Neocron 3 because of it.

Okay, so why should I play this? What are the main features? Stop waxing lyrical about the game and actually get people interested

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Okay, so why should I play this?
You shouldn't, the game is an outdated pile of mess, has been like this from day 1 actually.
Not a single bright idea or mechanic out there, a typical failed gen 1 mmo when people had no budget and no idea.
And unlike some other failed mmos from the previous decades, there aren't any interesting or brave or crazy experimental features here either, just an overwelming mediocrity.

Sykar

Arcane
Tried it to get to run last year but the launcher is completely unresponsive as in I double click and nothing happens. Did not find a solution either. Pity since I dig Cyberpunk and this seemed like it can scratch that Cyberpunk itch plus it is Sci fi and there are very few good Sci Fi MMOs around.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again!
Just got back into Neocron Evolution. I played a lot of it during the beta days in 2001/2002 (thereabouts). Despite the shitty MC5 starter area, it brings back a lot of good memories. Irxy is right in that it's a mess, but there's also probably nothing else like it today. It's got the worst features of the late 1990s and early 2000s MMOs, but it also has charming combat mechanics similar to Deus Ex/System Shock and a whole bunch of buried complexity.

TLDR: 19 years since I played the beta, and it's still the closest thing we have to an MMO Deus Ex.

MadMaxHellfire are you still playing?

Just got back into Neocron Evolution. I played a lot of it during the beta days in 2001/2002 (thereabouts). Despite the shitty MC5 starter area, it brings back a lot of good memories. Irxy is right in that it's a mess, but there's also probably nothing else like it today. It's got the worst features of the late 1990s and early 2000s MMOs, but it also has charming combat mechanics similar to Deus Ex/System Shock and a whole bunch of buried complexity.

TLDR: 19 years since I played the beta, and it's still the closest thing we have to an MMO Deus Ex.

MadMaxHellfire are you still playing?
When I first played Deus Ex I thought it's systems would be great for a sandbox MMO. It's one of those ideas that I'm suprised no one else had had. Cyberpunk MMO Deus Ex sounds like it'd sell millions.

deama

Prophet
Which neocron version has the highest population? The classic one or the evolution one?

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Damn! Pity it went to pot. That puppet vid was pretty informative for me. I like puppets. No cash shops & no sub. TRULY FREE! But yeah, which one is best and still updated? Fix the interface eh?

udm

Arcane
Patron
Which neocron version has the highest population? The classic one or the evolution one?

Evolution

Damn! Pity it went to pot. That puppet vid was pretty informative for me. I like puppets. No cash shops & no sub. TRULY FREE! But yeah, which one is best and still updated? Fix the interface eh?

The interface is pretty neat for the most part, very reminiscent of Deus Ex's UI. You can actually mod things like font size and colour schemes in the ini files. The main issue I have is that the inventory system is missing QoL features like auto sorting, so that becomes annoying when you start hoarding crafting material.

KeighnMcDeath

RPG Codex Boomer
Ah, I 've played very few games with autosorting. Too many old games i guess. The vids look interesting and a cyberpunkish world... damn. If it had more dev and continual qol and content to fill the emptiness proclaimed by some then maybe it'd see an uptick. But fuck, I can play ascii and still be amused. This is far above ascii and pixels.

udm

Arcane
Patron
Well hit me up if you ever decide to play, and we can party up. :)

Sykar

Arcane
Well hit me up if you ever decide to play, and we can party up. :)

I managed to get it to work. Got any advice for new players? I want to dabble a little with a Monk(Preacher or Inquisiitor?) and a Spy(Hacker or Assassin maybe?), could use some pointers.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom