Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Resident Evil 3 Remake - Nemesis has a nose now!!!

Bigg Boss

Arcane
So you just use childish phrases like "muh camera angles" instead of forming adult sentences? Surely you realize you sound like a fucking idiot when you talk like that while also putting words in my mouth. I illustrated the primary issue with the series which is the aesthetic/camera. Yes, the camera angles are key but those tie directly into resource management, puzzles, music, etc. Those things you are totally right on.

No adult I know talks like that btw. Only trolls or 20 somethings. So you were 5 or something when Resident Evil 1 came out. How close am I?

Wunderbar

Arcane
RE2 reimagining was the best thing we could've got - it wasn't popamolized (if anything it's harder than original), it retained interconnected map design with themed keys, it kept planning your routes around dangerous enemies as an important gameplay feature, and it kept inventory management. And about fixed camera angles - well it's a shame, but no developer ever will bring it back. It's difficult to design a game around and it won't attract sales. At this point we should move on.

Wunderbar

Arcane
And regarding "actionizing" - RE series started to turn into action as early as in RE2. RE3 already ditched the whole mansion/station interconnected level layout and became way more linear, RE CV was series' "jump the shark" moment with its anime plot and characters.

Momock

Augur
RE4 is more like the originals than REmake 2. They have the same controls and the same way to move around and deal with enemies. REmake 2 is way harder to play, ennemies are far more dangerous, ressource managment tighter, etc. It's also way more scarry with legit panic moments born from gameplay and not some shitty jumpscare. The original was a cakewalk with almost infinite ammo. Be real nostalgiafags!

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
iu

See those those nice camera angles?

iu

See how this is no longer scary? You are basically an action movie star.

The fixed camera angles do make things more tense and spooky, but let's not exagerate.
REmake 2 is still tense and atmospheric and so was 4 when that game wanted too.
Besides even when I played REmake as a kid I never was particulary scared (like I would be in games like Amnesia and some moments in STALKER or Thief) but rather on edge. Because RE horror was always more about the athmosphere than actually getting you to shit your pants.
Oh and of the first 3 RE games, 2 and 3 lean much more to the action side rather than it's horror nature.

iu

Instead of this we will be getting a 3rd person shooter. Don't say tank controls are a problem either. They modified those in the first Remake HD. I understand the old school style didn't sell as much as the third person shooter/boulder punching style, but that does not mean I have to like it. I can't even force myself to beat Remake 2. It's not scary. It's not hard. It's boring and half ass.

Sure you don't have to like it.
But that doesn't detract the fact that RE4 is a pretty damn good game (and so is REmake 2). By the way RE4 used tank controls, and the new control scheme for REmake HD is a dumb decision since the game was designed for tank controls,

Anyway, aside from 4, the RE games weren't particularly "hard". Challenging and thigh, sure. Hard, not really... In fact, I would argue that REmake 2 is more challenging than RE2. :)
Let me explain.

In the original claustrophobia and horror were evoked by the controls and camera. In the remake the claustrophobia is evoked by the limited visibilty and the character slow movement speed, and the horror is evoked with game rules.
For starters the aiming, combined with the new (and very good) enemy AI, plus the way damage is handled, not only makes combat more difficult but also translates very well with the notion from the classic games of zombies that keep on coming no matter what you throw at them. And this learning curve in the first playtroughs is what creates the feeling of survival horror. And after that you discover an immensely polished and balanced action game beneath it (just one that hides it's rules under the shadows). And whatever you like it or not, that's a very faithul adaptation of one of the design principles behind this series since it's inception. To quote the man himself responsible for the identity of these games:

Shinji Mikami said:
To me, survival horror is a balance between a scary kind of gameplay and the challenge of overcoming that fear. You get a sense of achievement out of that. The fine balance between those two is what makes survival horror.

https://www.ign.com/articles/2013/0...me-out-of-the-commercial-failure-of-re-remake

If you ever wondered why, even in the classic games, there are boss figths and the final hours are full-on action levels, chock full enemies and big guns. That's why.
It's the ultimate reward these game want to offer. Transforming the player from a scared rookie to an action hero that nimbly dodges and puts down any threat.

This is just the gameplay side of things.

Moving on to content.
The level design is improved. Just take a look at the difference between the main hall in the police station:

It's more packed, makes the traversal less bothersome, gives that area design a whole lot more sense and it's overall more thightly directed.
I am not going to analyse the massive redesign of the sewers and lab, for that would be to long.
Then thanks to things like the lockers, extra medalions and etc., you have alot more density of activities, with still meaningful rewards, that unlock more areas of the station.
They even lead to good combat set-ups, like having to deal with enemies around puzzles - which combined with the more difficult combat - demands more planning and thigher execution from the player.
The slower less demaning combat and enemies and less amount of puzzles/content per distance in the original RE2, means that the game demands from the player less decision making and atention in the moment-to-moment gameplay.

I mean, I would also like another horror game akin to REmake, but REmake 2 did a pretty good job.
So calling it half assed is a dishonest and unfair assessment to an objectively good game.

Fucking Mr. X is broken as hell, so I have no hope for Nemesis. You can tell he just teleports all over the fucking place.

Disagree and not true.
Like all other gameplay challenges in the game, he's fairly balanced and can be dealt with.
He adds a dynamic layer to the game, which is most welcome - since it means he's another thing to plan around and due to his unique nature produces moments of improvisation (which shake things up).
And in my 2 playtroughs, there was only one time where he did appear to teleport.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I'll be interested to see whether they keep the "reward" system from killing Nemesis from the original.

It was often worth expending ammo for the weapon parts and first aid boxes he dropped.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Man I'm not the only one that saw him teleport to implausible locations. It wasn't that it was hard either. It just breaks you out of what could be a tense situation, instead of some goofy shit. Nemesis in Resident Evil 3 was more believable than Mr. X in the remake.

Alien: Isolation did it too.

DJOGamer PT

Arcane
That's the thing.
Nemesis encounters are scripted events. There's no more surprise after the first playthrough.
While Mr. X in REmake 2 (aside from his 1st apperance and boss figths) is a dynamic threat. Unpredictable and meant to disturb your run.

Pablosdog

Prophet
Resident evil 4 was the start of the popamole decline of the series. It's a solid game but is widely different from the first three games.

Remake 2 is pretty much an improved version of the original. I've played and beaten both games multiple times. The only thing I wish they had was a "retro-camera" option. Aside from the first game Resident evil's never been hugely scary to me, I've always given that to
Silent Hill(a series I prefer overall but has arguably an equal amount of shitty sequels)

Remake 2 is not even that actiony, its a a survival/adventure game. On proper difficulties you can't even kill zombies with headshots, and in many cases avoiding creatures to conserve ammo is more effective than confronting them.

Wish they would have improved on the shitty boss fights though.

sullynathan

Arcane
Resident Evil 4 was and is the best Resident Evil

Avoided it for years, finished in 2015 and was surprise how good tpp shooter it was. This and RE1/REmake is all you need.

If you are really smart, just play Alone in the Dark 1-3.
Kids get butthurt because it's not a fixed camera poorly controlled "horrah" game, and think tps is inherently worse because "reasons".

Man I'm not the only one that saw him teleport to implausible locations.
He doesn't teleport outside one instance (and even then he only teleports to semi near you and then walks the rest of the way, so it's nearly impossible to tell he teleported without cheating to unlock the camera) though. He does get a speed boost if he's far away enough, but for nearly the entire game his movement is legit. The police station is small enough and you've opened enough shortcuts by the time he goes active that he doesn't really need to teleport to get anywhere quickly.

TheHeroOfTime

Arcane
Mr X does teleport to certain scripted locations in certain moments of the game. But when he's roaming he's actually walking and searching room by room, with little weird warps since the map is not actually loaded.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
I have a save file where he transports from one side of the police station to the other. I walk outside into the main foyer and he is up top on the second level. I go in the door and walk into the next room. He magically appears in front of me opening a door. Sure, he could have walked there really fast. If really fast is the speed of the Flash. It just annoyed the fuck out of me. I realize there are scripted parts, but this is normal room to room searching without triggering cutscenes.

I literally played with it for a good hour testing it out. Not my dick the AI.

Maggot

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
RE4 is basically a rail shooter with pinata loot where zombies slowly shuffle once they reach a certain distance for the player to line up easy headshots. At least they keep running in RE5.

Bigg Boss

Arcane
Zombies dropping bullets is the worst shit that ever happened to the series. At least in Remake 2 the cops have reasons to be dropping shit like backpacks, but those Spanish dudes in RE4 dropping pistol rounds is gay. It's a lack of good level design is what it is. Probably because they had to shelve the first RE4 they made.

Ok. I'm going to finish this game, so I can replay as Claire and see some tits. I don't like the fact that I can't have a B scenario but I am old man yelling at the cloud lawn and fixed camera angles suck.

Last edited:

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
Zombies dropping bullets is the worst shit that ever happened to the series. At least in Remake 2 the cops have reasons to be dropping shit like backpacks, but those Spanish dudes in RE4 dropping pistol rounds is gay. It's a lack of good level design is what it is. Probably because they had to shelve the first RE4 they made.

The original RE4 was actually turned into the original Devil May Cry because the game got out of hand. There's also a reference early on in original DMC in an early level where you can look out the window and there is a comment about the city as well alluding to RE.

Wunderbar

Arcane
The original RE4 was actually turned into the original Devil May Cry because the game got out of hand. There's also a reference early on in original DMC in an early level where you can look out the window and there is a comment about the city as well alluding to RE.
no, there were multiple RE4s. The one Bigg Boss was talking about is the hookman RE4 (Leon exploring a haunted medieval castle, full 3D but with fixed camera angles).

ShadowSpectre

Arbiter
no, there were multiple RE4s. The one Bigg Boss was talking about is the hookman RE4 (Leon exploring a haunted medieval castle, full 3D but with fixed camera angles).

Pretty sure the version you reference is the one turned into DMC. Exploring a medieval castle you say? Cut to partway when gameplay begins of the first level. A lot of the game areas are basically gothic medieval.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom