Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Vapourware Scam Citizen - Only people with too much money can become StarCitizens! WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Just..wow. If I were them, I too would never release this game :lol:

If they will release SQ42 they will get fat stacks of money and if they will release 1.0 of SC they will get even bigger fat stacks of money in addition to already what they are making.
Makes no sense to be in perpetual development.

One thing positive from it is that if you shoot for the moon there will be people who will want that.
Also i seriously think that vien diagram of people who play SC will be very similar to people who play flight simulators.

Those guys can literally spend $10k on those games.
Dads spend 10k on peripherals for flight sims. I should know. My dad was one of them with a full autismbox simpit for games like DCS, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. To be fair, it was something he added to over 20 years since Tie Fighter came out. I've tried it and it can be cool but I just have a VR headset and a hotas and that actually works way better. Elite in particular goes from boring to super immersive in VR. And I only spent £500 for the lot. And that includes SC. My point is, dads have exploitale income. They'll buy what they need to enjoy their favorite sim. But that's suddenly a bad thing when it's SATAN CITIZEN: Thief of Children and Raper of Women.

Country_Gravy

Arcane
Patron
Wasteland 2

If they will release SQ42 they will get fat stacks of money and if they will release 1.0 of SC they will get even bigger fat stacks of money in addition to already what they are making.

One thing positive from it is that if you shoot for the moon there will be people who will want that.
Also i seriously think that vien diagram of people who play SC will be very similar to people who play flight simulators.

Dads spend 10k on peripherals for flight sims. I should know. My dad was one of them with a full autismbox simpit for games like DCS, Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. To be fair, it was something he added to over 20 years since Tie Fighter came out. I've tried it and it can be cool but I just have a VR headset and a hotas and that actually works way better. Elite in particular goes from boring to super immersive in VR. And I only spent £500 for the lot. And that includes SC. My point is, dads have exploitale income. They'll buy what they need to enjoy their favorite sim. But that's suddenly a bad thing when it's SATAN CITIZEN: Thief of Children and Raper of Women.
Sooooo....you're white?

Sooooo....you're white?

No, goy. Keep feeding racial tensions haha!

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
You are assuming S42 and SC actually exist and they are developing anything but the promo materials and technical demos, which is laughable at this point.

Morkar Left

You are assuming S42 and SC actually exist and they are developing anything but the promo materials and technical demos, which is laughable at this point.

They are developing and you can clearly see improvement. But the development time takes far too long with an outcome uncertain or most likely vaporware which will stay in alpha or early beta forever at most.

AN4RCHID

Arcane

They are developing and you can clearly see improvement. But the development time takes far too long with an outcome uncertain or most likely vaporware which will stay in alpha or early beta forever at most.
IMO the worst case scenario is not that it stays in alpha/beta forever, but that they 'release' Star Citizen 1.0 and it's still broken and lacking meaningful gameplay. And then they move on to another game. With early access games a lot of times release marks the death of the game, because everyone was sticking with it on the hopes that the devs would finally turn it into their dream game, but the final release rarely fills that role. Fortunately, it doesn't seem like CIG feel any pressure to drop a 1.0 release anytime soon :)

Deleted Member 22431

Yeah, the problem with their strategy is that they need even more resources to make even more promises. It's not sustainable.

Deleted Member 22431

But each improvement comes with more micromanagement from Chris Roberts and more unnecessary graphic details. The man has no common sense at all.

Morkar Left

IMO the worst case scenario is not that it stays in alpha/beta forever, but that they 'release' Star Citizen 1.0 and it's still broken and lacking meaningful gameplay.
That's actually highly likely. Best case scenario is that most of it works in over 50% of your playtime with high class hardware and internet connection and a couple of star systems present (say 3-4).

And then they move on to another game.
I doubt that. The unfinished potential of SC (which is basically on MMO) will provide them with enough things to build, moneytize and exploit for at least 10 years going on from point of release.

With early access games a lot of times release marks the death of the game, because everyone was sticking with it on the hopes that the devs would finally turn it into their dream game, but the final release rarely fills that role. Fortunately, it doesn't seem like CIG feel any pressure to drop a 1.0 release anytime soon :)

They have already a huge fanbase that is enjoying SC right now as aweful as it is atm. Plus they built a complete infrastructure for moneytisation, community and cross-selling.

The finished game would be basically what Second Life hoped to achieve just in space. And it will cover a huge base of players interests (sim, egoshooter, adventure, exploring, sci-fi, trading, socializing). It would become basically a second life for people to live in if they want together with everything to sell you that you could buy in reallife. And with a connection to real money the opportunities to earn money for them are huuuuge. Even if it's free to play after you bought the game. There are always cosmetics/fashion/decoration, buying ingame money (even if the game isn't designed to exploit that). Or outside of game subscriptions for extra content to enjoy like the e-zine Jump point right now which even gives you some goodies for the game (3d-objects for decoration). Even the ingame money wouldn't be such an exploit because skill in the game still matters, at least on ground level with egoshooter mechanics. Even contacts to other players will matter.

Right now to keep the game going with funding for some additonal years they have to optimize performance, squash out bugs for the core gameplay, bring persistancy into the world, make npcs interactable and provide let's say 3 fleshed out star-systems for people to play in. After that they can basically run the game for another decade in that unfinished state by simple expanding the game and let players buy game stuff.

To make a long story short I don't think people would buy a second game from them if they abandon Star Citizen and Star Citizen has too much work left and opportunities to earn money to abandon as long as the technical side doesn't reach the critical mass when everything breaks down into pieces.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
They have already a huge fanbase that is enjoying SC right now as aweful as it is atm. Plus they built a complete infrastructure for moneytisation, community and cross-selling.

I keep seeing only videos that it is about getting elevators to work and not about playing. That's a strange kind of "enjoying".

The finished game would be basically what Second Life hoped to achieve

.. and failed

Morkar Left

I keep seeing only videos that it is about getting elevators to work and not about playing. That's a strange kind of "enjoying".

The finished game would be basically what Second Life hoped to achieve

.. and failed

For the record I'm not defending SC.

I never had problems with elevators nor did I see it in videos. Bugs and glitches happen very often in the game. I would say everytime you play there is something not working. Sometimes you can't play at all because of traffic.

If you can download the game (buy having bought/backed it) and you have a good internet connection and decent pc I would recommend to try it again and see the progress for yourself. It's kind of playable now with gameplay in place (basic mind you) and actually athmospheric places to look around. Playing it yourself is the best way to judge the state of development right now. For me my internet connection is too slow right now. My hardware should be ok if not impressive (it's on the lower end for SC despite running on ssd) and when there isn't much traffic on the servers I get 25-35 fps. Loading Hangar module or Arena Commander with bots gets me decent frame rates to play with. Will check again when I solved my internet connection with dlan.

Burning Bridges

Enviado de meu SM-G3502T usando Tapatalk
for the last ca 5 years I have decided to postpone SC for when the game is more than just an alpha.

It's not that I don't wish them to succeed, but I have a gut feeling that the billion they collected was largely squandererd. It just does not look right that software with this kind of budget has no working engine - you could probably build a new operating system for this kind of money.

Strap Yourselves In Codex+ Now Streaming!
The engine is a total mess. For example, recently they added cave exploration to the game. They added 15 or so caves but at the same time they had to remove other content in order to make it work without overloading the servers.

They still don’t know how to fit more than 50 player on a server. They keep talking about those Jesus technologies that will improve everything. Server meshing, SSOCS, what have you. But these things either get delayed or bring disappointing results.

Perkel

Arcane
The engine is a total mess. For example, recently they added cave exploration to the game. They added 15 or so caves but at the same time they had to remove other content in order to make it work without overloading the servers

What did they remove ?

Secondly 50 person instances is pretty much normal for most of MMO games what they want to achieve is 100s which is basically like 5 game total that have something like this. And all of those games looks nothing like SC.

But one thing is sure. Cryengine was never made to SC scale and had to rework it from ground up.

ADL

Prophet
OCS was a godsend for performance. Singlehandedly brought me from below 40FPS to 80-120 on a 1080Ti at 1440p and that's despite the server loading the entire universe all at once. SSOCS should deliver similar results from a server-side perspective?

Irxy

Arcane
Project: Eternity
Secondly 50 person instances is pretty much normal for most of MMO games what they want to achieve is 100s which is basically like 5 game total that have something like this. And all of those games looks nothing like SC.
50 per instance is not common, the norm is 100-150 players, and that is per location instance, not server intance.
50 or less is common for instances like warzones and raids, where all players are present in the single scene and interact with each other, and that is often a design choice.

Perkel

Arcane
OCS was a godsend for performance. Singlehandedly brought me from below 40FPS to 80-120 on a 1080Ti at 1440p and that's despite the server loading the entire universe all at once. SSOCS should deliver similar results from a server-side perspective?

This is from latest patch ?

ADL

Prophet

This is from latest patch ?
November 2018 according to the roadmap.
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

You could easily build that system today for under a thousand dollars. Give it another two or three years and you'll likely see 1080Ti levels of performance hit the mid-range pricing bracket ($300-$400). Keep in mind this is before SSOCS where the entire universe loads at once so I expect frame rate to go up even more.

Perkel

Arcane
Whoa didn't expect locked 60fps from your vid with barely any stutter.

Morkar Left

The game does look ugly,a 2013 level of graphics. So i take it that the high gpu demand is because of incompetent development and bad engine.

Dude you can say anything about the game but not that it looks bad. It's a really good looking game and that besides the gfx aren't even final.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom