Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

CRPGAddict

Zed Duke of Banville

Dungeon Master
Patron
8. I don't like music playing during my games.
This reminds me of the true reason Chet is a laughingstock, failure to complete and appreciate Faery Tale Adventure. +M

Sigourn

uooh afficionado
It's pretty clear CRPG Addict is not much CRPG as he is "freedom" addict. That explains his massive boner for Skyrim and Fallout 4, and his love for cRPGs contrasted with console RPGs, which makes perfect sense when you take it as a whole because it shows he prefers freedom over someone telling him what to do. And Skyrim in particular is pretty much the embodiement of "do whatever you want whenever you want", even if the RPG elements suffer massively as a result.

TigerKnee

Arcane
A little bit funny to reread his spiel on Rance 1 with the knowledge that the series ended on a very high note with its final entry (one of the highest rated in its medium, in fact)

I suppose he got part of his wish because Rance certainly is dead...

No surprise that he would hate J.R.P.G.s, since they except the player to use his imagination, use stories that are not 95% ripoffs of Star Wars and Lord of the Rings and use predetermined characters instead of letting him indulge his Narcissism by role-playing his Mary Sue.

My controversial opinion: I would much rather play C.R.P.G.s like Bloodnet, Superhero League of Hoboken, Citizens of Earth and Space and Anachronox than Ultima, WIzardry, Might and Magic and Baldur's Gate, but those games are too creative for him.

Deuce Traveler

2012 Newfag
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
crpgaddict just did his top 10 commentor's page based upon number of posts. Our own octavius made the list, but JarlFrank unfortunately did not (though I find JarlFrank's posts on that site full of quality too).

#5. PetrusOctavianus. Comments on 643 entries between 14 January 2011 and 12 December 2019

Blend the "RPG nerd" credentials of VK and the bite of Harland, and you have PetrusOctavianus, one of only two of the "Top 10" to have been with me since the first year. His count is artificially low because when I caught him saying some negative things about me on RPGCodex, I renamed his Secret of the Silver Blades character "Brutus," and he commented under that name for a while. Sometimes I get the feeling that he follows my blog more as a professional courtesy than because he actually likes it. But despite his obsession over something he calls "level design" and certain words that he finds problematic, his comments are invaluable for one major reason: He knows RPGs better than anyone.

boobio

Arcane
Trigger Warning Shitposter
The butthurt is real

CRPG AddictDecember 8, 2019 at 3:51 PM
"So now console gamers are the chased minority, the ones being mocked about."

This annoys me so much. My opinion is about the superiority of the platform, not the superiority of the people who use it. Nobody deserves to be mocked or insulted--beyond a general collegial ribbing--about their opinions on anything as trivial as video games. This is why I can't go to RPGCodex anymore. I don't understand the perspective of a full-grown adult who calls another adult a "f&@#$* retard" because of how he feels about Skyrim. Given the amount of time I spend on this blog, I have as much reason to take the subject as seriously as anyone, but it would never occur to me to openly speculate that someone has autism because they think that Ultima III is better than Ultima IV.
http://crpgaddict.blogspot.com/2019/12/my-10-most-controversial-opinions.html

mediocrepoet

Philosoraptor in Residence
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex+ Now Streaming! MCA Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
The butthurt is real

This annoys me so much. My opinion is about the superiority of the platform, not the superiority of the people who use it. Nobody deserves to be mocked or insulted--beyond a general collegial ribbing--about their opinions on anything as trivial as video games. This is why I can't go to RPGCodex anymore. I don't understand the perspective of a full-grown adult who calls another adult a "f&@#$* retard" because of how he feels about Skyrim. Given the amount of time I spend on this blog, I have as much reason to take the subject as seriously as anyone, but it would never occur to me to openly speculate that someone has autism because they think that Ultima III is better than Ultima IV.

Eh, the Codex isn't for everyone. News at 11.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
crpgaddict just did his top 10 commentor's page based upon number of posts. Our own octavius made the list, but JarlFrank unfortunately did not (though I find JarlFrank's posts on that site full of quality too).

V_K also made the list:

Russian VK is one of my several--and I mean this affectionately!--"RPG nerd" commenters--the small cadre of people who have probably played more RPGs than me, particularly in the 1990s period. He's been my advanced scout on upcoming titles since his earliest comments (just a couple months ago, he warned me about some quirks in Challenge of the Five Realms), and he's frequently there to make connections that I missed and to offer defenses of games that I panned. He's not afraid to argue but doesn't seem to get overly worked up about his arguments.

So two Codexers among the top 10 is not bad.
And JarlFrank, as "most promising new poster" (IMO), will make the list in another 10 years.

Codex Year of the Donut
The butthurt is real

guy sounds like a fucking retard

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA
Sounds like autistic spazz:

That's not the same thing as saying "I don't like game music." I very often admire the compositions; I just don't want them playing during the actual game. I think this is largely because I'm very music-oriented generally, and I see listening to music as an active experience. I only want it playing when my primary task is listening to music. To me, "background" music is like having someone constantly talking at you while you're trying to focus on something else.

Self-Ejected

aweigh

Self-Ejected
I have to admit that [Skyrim is] still one of the best CRPGs I've ever played.

I not only think Fallout 4 is better than Fallout: New Vegas, I think it's much better.

Wow. The guy truly is a gigantic moron.

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
From time to time I try to read some of his posts and get irritated right away, there's something about the way he writes I find incredibly grating

octavius

Arcane
Patron

That's not the same thing as saying "I don't like game music." I very often admire the compositions; I just don't want them playing during the actual game. I think this is largely because I'm very music-oriented generally, and I see listening to music as an active experience. I only want it playing when my primary task is listening to music. To me, "background" music is like having someone constantly talking at you while you're trying to focus on something else.

I feel the same way. I always turn off music in FPSes, for example.
Having the same theme repeat constantly gets on my nerves eventually, unless it's exceptionally good (combat music in Faery Tale, for example). And having "combat music" that alerts you to enemies before you seee them, like in Morrowind, is stupid. I'd rather be alerted by footsteps, war cries or the sound of metal on metal.

Jarpie

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA

I feel the same way. I always turn off music in FPSes, for example.
Having the same theme repeat constantly gets on my nerves eventually, unless it's exceptionally good (combat music in Faery Tale, for example). And having "combat music" that alerts you to enemies before you seee them, like in Morrowind, is stupid. I'd rather be alerted by footsteps, war cries or the sound of metal on metal.

I think that's quite a different thing than to turn off music in crpgs like IE-games, Pathfinder: Kingmaker etc where you don't get that, and the music's there to build up the atmosphere and mood, that being said, games like Doom wouldn't be the same without the music. I wonder if he wants films to be without music as well...

Darth Canoli

Arcane
And having "combat music" that alerts you to enemies before you seee them, like in Morrowind, is stupid. I'd rather be alerted by footsteps, war cries or the sound of metal on metal.

That's what you get for playing shit games like Morrowind.

On the other hand, if a game plays the same metal on metal sound every time you're about to enter into battle, it's the exact same thing.

Of course, nothing beats Arx Fatalis way, hearing a monster growling while exploring a dark tunnel and not knowing if he's ahead or coming from an unexplored area you just passed ...

octavius

Arcane
Patron
And having "combat music" that alerts you to enemies before you seee them, like in Morrowind, is stupid. I'd rather be alerted by footsteps, war cries or the sound of metal on metal.

That's what you get for playing shit games like Morrowind.

On the other hand, if a game plays the same metal on metal sound every time you're about to enter into battle, it's the exact same thing.

The game only plays metal on metal sound when you're surprised by an enemy sneaking up from behind.

mondblut

Arcane
Strange that his legendary "If Trump gets elected, I'll have to get a job, and that's absolutely unacceptable!111" didn't make the list.

Then again, that view is shared by about 50% of population, nothing controversial about it.

V_K

Arcane

V_K also made the list:

Russian VK is one of my several--and I mean this affectionately!--"RPG nerd" commenters--the small cadre of people who have probably played more RPGs than me, particularly in the 1990s period. He's been my advanced scout on upcoming titles since his earliest comments (just a couple months ago, he warned me about some quirks in Challenge of the Five Realms), and he's frequently there to make connections that I missed and to offer defenses of games that I panned. He's not afraid to argue but doesn't seem to get overly worked up about his arguments.

So two Codexers among the top 10 is not bad.
And JarlFrank, as "most promising new poster" (IMO), will make the list in another 10 years.
Had I known in advance I'd end up like this, I'd have picked a more imaginative username.

Farewell young Prince into the night

Things got a little bit heated down in the comment section with his latest Zelda post.

This guy don't makes sense to me. Any supposed "old crpgs fan" who proclaim Skyrim is his favourite game is highly suspicious, but in the case of crpgaddict is even more unbelievable: A guy in its 40s, with an old liking for crpgs supposedly carried since his childhood (with questron, 1984, as his first crpg), who define itself as a nearly PC exclusive player, but comment most old classics as if it was his first time with them, value several features that started to being dominant in the genre only since 2000s over most typical old crpgs and that proclaim shameless that Skyrim is his favourite crpg, seems greatly inconsistent to me.

Let's his own words explain who I think he really is and which were its true motivations to start the blog:

The average visitor to this blog will assume I'm a fat, 20s-something guy who lives with his mom in a dark basement apartment and, if he has a job at all, probably works at a 7-11, making just enough money to buy his geeky computer stuff.

This came to a head in the fall of 2009. My wife went out of town for a three-day business meeting, and I had planned to use the time to finish editing a book that I'd promised to the publisher a couple of weeks prior. The first morning, I worked maybe an hour on it before deciding to take a break for a "little" bit of OBLIVION. 72 hours later, when my wife returned, I had done essentially nothing else. I was disgusted with myself.

I think indeed he's (now) in his late 20s-first 30s (18-22 years when he started the blog, probably) and he started to play rpgs around mid 2000s. I think he was greatly butthurted by the old crpg aficionados criticism towards Jade Empire, Oblivion (its 72 hours in 2009 was most likelly a fifth playthrough), Mass Effect or Fallout 3 as mediocre to bad games or "barely" crpgs at all (and later the same criticism on Mass Effect II, Skyrim, Dragon Age II and so on) so he decided to start his blog with two purposes: Check by himself if there was somethirng truly good on those old crpgs and add some appeal to authority, as justification to those who love those AAA games from the great decline ("if this old guy, a winner in real life, who played every old crpg, thinks Oblivion and Skyrim are good crpgs must be true, right?").

I also think his wife it's really his left hand, or maybe his mum. But even if Irene exists, the following statement is more about crpgaddict tastes and not those of his suppossed girlfriend:

Now, you hardcore gamers are thinking that I have the perfect wife, and I admit she can be pretty cool. But she only likes a small subset of games: cinematic, fairly linear, plot-heavy CRPGs with lots of dialog options, like Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. This is great, because I like these games too, but frankly once you get past them there aren't many like them. I tried to show her Morrowind on the old X-box, but she was bored to tears with it.

He's probably a larper.

Last edited:

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
You can only carry a maximum of eight bombs at a time, and these go fast, so I was constantly running around, in and out of the dungeons, looking for enemies that dropped bombs.

I bet he'd like to have more bombs. :smug:

Comte

This guy don't makes sense to me. Any supposed "old crpgs fan" who proclaim Skyrim is his favourite game is highly suspicious, but in the case of crpgaddict is even more unbelievable: A guy in its 40s, with an old liking for crpgs supposedly carried since his childhood (with questron, 1984, as his first crpg), who define itself as a nearly PC exclusive player, but comment most old classics as if it was his first time with them, value several features that started to being dominant in the genre only since 2000s over most typical old crpgs and that proclaim shameless that Skyrim is his favourite crpg, seems greatly inconsistent to me.

Let's his own words explain who I think he really is and which were its true motivations to start the blog:

The average visitor to this blog will assume I'm a fat, 20s-something guy who lives with his mom in a dark basement apartment and, if he has a job at all, probably works at a 7-11, making just enough money to buy his geeky computer stuff.

This came to a head in the fall of 2009. My wife went out of town for a three-day business meeting, and I had planned to use the time to finish editing a book that I'd promised to the publisher a couple of weeks prior. The first morning, I worked maybe an hour on it before deciding to take a break for a "little" bit of OBLIVION. 72 hours later, when my wife returned, I had done essentially nothing else. I was disgusted with myself.

I think indeed he's (now) in his late 20s-first 30s (18-22 years when he started the blog, probably) and he started to play rpgs around mid 2000s. I think he was greatly butthurted by the old crpg aficionados criticism towards Jade Empire, Oblivion (its 72 hours in 2009 was most likelly a fifth playthrough), Mass Effect or Fallout 3 as mediocre to bad games or "barely" crpgs at all (and later the same criticism on Mass Effect II, Skyrim, Dragon Age II and so on) so he decided to start his blog with two purposes: Check by himself if there was somethirng truly good on those old crpgs and add some appeal to authority, as justification to those who love those AAA games from the great decline ("if this old guy, a winner in real life, who played every old crpg, thinks Oblivion and Skyrim are good crpgs must be true, right?").

I also think his wife it's really his left hand, or maybe his mum. But even if Irene exists, the following statement is more about crpgaddict tastes and not those of his suppossed girlfriend:

Now, you hardcore gamers are thinking that I have the perfect wife, and I admit she can be pretty cool. But she only likes a small subset of games: cinematic, fairly linear, plot-heavy CRPGs with lots of dialog options, like Knights of the Old Republic and Jade Empire. This is great, because I like these games too, but frankly once you get past them there aren't many like them. I tried to show her Morrowind on the old X-box, but she was bored to tears with it.

He's probably a larper.

He is larping as a married professional. We know the truth dude is in his 20's living in his moms basement.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom