Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Phoenix Point - the new game from X-COM creator Julian Gollop

geno

Savant
I accidentally discovered a cheap way to earn exp for 1 soldier. If you load a ship just with a vehicle and one unit and you get ambushed while exploring, just enter the vehicle with your unit and finish the mission: my solider gained 4 levels in a single mission with this trick. Probaly it will fixed in the next patch.

ArchAngel

Arcane
I accidentally discovered a cheap way to earn exp for 1 soldier. If you load a ship just with a vehicle and one unit and you get ambushed while exploring, just enter the vehicle with your unit and finish the mission: my solider gained 4 levels in a single mission with this trick. Probaly it will fixed in the next patch.
It is not a bug, since vehicle cannot get XP it gives its XP to other soldiers. So mission XP is shared between 3 guys only.

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
This is a fucking proper nu XCom but good lord it also got shitload of problems. Feels unfinished, like most of them KS games...

-Bugs everywhere, seriously. One of my best soldiers got disseapeared while on plane.
-Game looks ugly and non-aesthetic in style, UI is even uglier and a mess.
-No time units :/

I really want to play this but gonna wait for some patches first.

ArchAngel

Arcane
This is a fucking proper nu XCom but good lord it also got shitload of problems. Feels unfinished, like most of them KS games...

-Bugs everywhere, seriously. One of my best soldiers got disseapeared while on plane.

There are bugs yes. Aesthetics are not great, especially that PP heavy, UI lacks important stuff.
But no time units is not true. It is just presented more intelligently. I am getting tired explaining this.

In UFO all weapon attacks didn't cost 45 TU or 55 TU or whatever. They cost 40% of max TU or 75% of max TU. PP has separated this 100% TU into 4 points, each represents 25% of max TU. Amount of movement you can do is still free form. Your speed attribute says how much squares you can move in one turn by spending 100% TU and you are free to move one square at a time if you want to.
They also changed all actions to cost 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of your max TU. That is only true difference vs UFO. And it is a good one. Old school players get almost same system while new players and nuXcom players get easier to understand system.

Biggest change compared to UFO is addition of perks but them and free multiclassing lets you make interesting character builds, I like it so far. And soldiers don't feel as superhuman as in Firaxis's Xcom. Dash is probably the biggest outlier from perks and should probably be limited to once per turn.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
Btw, nuXcom twitch streamers are all little cunts.
There are two classes of them: whiners and quitters.
Whiners whine about little things like half spent ammo clips gathering in inventory until they become full clips again but they don't want to wait for that so they scrap them all one by one and then whine how the game has too much micromanagement.

Quitters are even more retarded. They found a trick to play more efficiently on highest difficulty. They build one set of armor and weapons at start but get additional craft and troops. Then they move items around before mission starts between two teams because Gollop was kind enough to allow equipment teleportation (otherwise newXcom players brains would blow up). But this plan is foiled by Ambush missions which don't let you equip your guys before missions by going back to strip armor and weapons off other team. So now they swap around armor and weapons before each Exploration is done and then complain endlessly how irritating it is and eventually quit the game...

The amount of butt hurt this game provides to nuXcom players is already enough to justify its existence.

Thal

Prophet

There are bugs yes. Aesthetics are not great, especially that PP heavy, UI lacks important stuff.
But no time units is not true. It is just presented more intelligently. I am getting tired explaining this.

In UFO all weapon attacks didn't cost 45 TU or 55 TU or whatever. They cost 40% of max TU or 75% of max TU. PP has separated this 100% TU into 4 points, each represents 25% of max TU. Amount of movement you can do is still free form. Your speed attribute says how much squares you can move in one turn by spending 100% TU and you are free to move one square at a time if you want to.
They also changed all actions to cost 25%, 50%, 75% or 100% of your max TU. That is only true difference vs UFO. And it is a good one. Old school players get almost same system while new players and nuXcom players get easier to understand system.

Biggest change compared to UFO is addition of perks but them and free multiclassing lets you make interesting character builds, I like it so far. And soldiers don't feel as superhuman as in Firaxis's Xcom. Dash is probably the biggest outlier from perks and should probably be limited to once per turn.

I think this is actually what Tim Cain meant, when he said that stats could be represented as graphs instead of numbers. The presentation fools casuals into accepting more a complex system because their bird brains can only process simplified information. PPs system works almost exactly like the UFOs. The visual aids make the information pop out more easily, but it has very little effect on the depth of the system. The real mystery is how it can fool hardcore gamers into believing that they are playing a simpler game than they are. The one casualization is that weapons have only one attack type, whereas in UFO you could in some cases choose more than one. However this is balanced by a large increase in the variety of weapons.

For quick reference:
Pistols can only do snap shots, 1-4 depending on how far you move
Assault rifles can only do auto shots, 1-2 depending how far you move
Sniper Rifles and Heavy Weapons can only take 1 aimed shot and move a short distance.

I've been playing this game for a few days and I'm having a blast. Even with the second easiest difficulty level my soldiers get killed if lose my focus. Even the basic crabman is a tough opponent in the right circumstances. I'm constantly having to trade raw materials and can't manufacture everything I want. I can't capture pandorans effectively yet because apparently only Synedrion has stun weapons, but I allied New Jericho for their AP tech. The Pandorans actually took out my first base, because I put off attacking their citadel so I could research better weapons. Yeah the art style is uneven, but my first encounter with a Siren left half of my squad dead because I wasn't prepared to face one yet. That's the one thing that matters in a X-com game, not how a specific monster looks. I reiterate: UFO had anime graphics.

The game is a flawed diamond. So what it has bugs on release? So did Fallout. They cut some features, what game hasn't and backers get the DLCs for free anyway? As for the epic money. Isn't it odd to laugh at the devs for releasing an incomplete game and criticizing them for taking the dough at the same time. It seems obvious that without the Epic money they could not have even finished the game. Now they have, and the result is solid turn-based tactics game.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane

I think this is actually what I believe Tim Cain meant, when he said that stats could be represented as graphs instead of numbers. The presentation fools casuals into accepting more complex system because their bird brains can only process simplified information. PPs system works almost exactly like the UFOs. The visual aids make the information pop out more easily, but it has very little effects on the depth of the system. The real mystery is how it can fool hardcore gamers into believing that they are playing a simpler game than they are. The one casualization is that weapons have only one attack type, whereas in UFO you could in some cases choose more than one. However this is balanced by a large increase in the amount of weapons.

For quick reference:
Pistols can only do snap shots, 1-4 depending on how far you move
Assault rifles can only do auto shots, 1-2 depending how far you move
Sniper Rifles and Heavy Weapons can only take 1 aimed shot and move a short distance.

I've been playing this game for a few days and I'm having a blast. Even with the second easiest difficulty level my soldiers get killed, if lose my focus. Even the basic crabman is a tough opponent in the right circumstance. I'm constantly having to trade raw materials and can't manufacture everything I want. I can't capture pandorans effectively yet because apparently only Synedrion has stun weapons, but I allied New Jericho for their AP tech. The Pandorans actually took out my first base, because I put off attacking their citadel so I could research for better weapons. Yeah the art style is uneven, but my first encounter with a Siren left half of my squad dead because I wasn't prepared to face one yet. That's the one thing that matters in a X-com game, not how a specific monster looks. I reiterate: UFO had anime graphics.

The game is a flawed diamond. So what it has bugs on release? So did Fallout. They cut some features, what game hasn't and backers get the DLCs for free anyway? As for the epic money. Isn't it odd to laugh at the devs for releasing an incomplete game and criticizing them for taking the dough at the same time. It seems obvious that without the Epic money they could not have even finished the game. Now they have, and the result is solid turn-based tactics game.
You also have stun weapons, you just have not researched it yet.

Alpharius

Scholar
There are a few things I heard so far that I like... multiple squads per map, you actually need to load ammunition and guns on your dudes, so far, this seems like an attempt of fixing the worst popamole weaknesses of XCOM without completely going 100% homage like Xenonauts.
They've done fucked this up though. You have to manually check each soldiers ammunition after each mission, otherwise he might run out of ammo next time he shoots someone. Also the "+ammo" button in personnel tab replaces the currently loaded clip with the one that has more ammo, not necessarily with the full clip. So i often had to press dat button until i had enough full clips for each weapon and then scrap each partially filled clip. (New ammo is manufactured instantly for weapons that you have already researched). Now if they've added "auto refill ammo", "auto manufacture ammo" toggles and a global counter for each ammo type that would have been a cool feature. As it is it just adds unnecessary micro.

Same with multiple squads per map. It worked perfectly fine in xenonauts and UFO but here the game doesn't pause or notify you in any way when one of the aircraft is idle. Because ofc how would the game know if you left the aircraft without orders because you intend for it to wait for soldiers to rest \ new weapon to be manufactured \ scan be to completed \ whatever, or just because you forgot about it. So even with two active aircraft i find i have to constantly pause the game and check what each one is doing right now. I expect with 4 active aircraft i won't be able to overcome the urge to uninstall the game.
The fix would have been to not reinvent the wheel and keep the old system from UFO: make the aircraft refuel only at phoenix point base, not at any point of the map, and rebalance travel times. Remove the possibility for aircraft to be idle by accident while no at the base, it should either be travelling towards next mission, returning to base, being busy with current mission, or patrolling given point of the map after being explicitly ordered to do so by the player (there is no reason to do this right now but it might change if\when they add enemy aircraft).

ArchAngel

Arcane
There are a few things I heard so far that I like... multiple squads per map, you actually need to load ammunition and guns on your dudes, so far, this seems like an attempt of fixing the worst popamole weaknesses of XCOM without completely going 100% homage like Xenonauts.
They've done fucked this up though. You have to manually check each soldiers ammunition after each mission, otherwise he might run out of ammo next time he shoots someone. Also the "+ammo" button in personnel tab replaces the currently loaded clip with the one that has more ammo, not necessarily with the full clip. So i often had to press dat button until i had enough full clips for each weapon and then scrap each partially filled clip. (New ammo is manufactured instantly for weapons that you have already researched). Now if they've added "auto refill ammo", "auto manufacture ammo" toggles and a global counter for each ammo type that would have been a cool feature. As it is it just adds unnecessary micro.

Same with multiple squads per map. It worked perfectly fine in xenonauts and UFO but here the game doesn't pause or notify you in any way when one of the aircraft is idle. Because ofc how would the game know if you left the aircraft without orders because you intend for it to wait for soldiers to rest \ new weapon to be manufactured \ scan be to completed \ whatever, or just because you forgot about it. So even with two active aircraft i find i have to constantly pause the game and check what each one is doing right now. I expect with 4 active aircraft i won't be able to overcome the urge to uninstall the game.
The fix would have been to not reinvent the wheel and keep the old system from UFO: make the aircraft refuel only at phoenix point base, not at any point of the map, and rebalance travel times. Remove the possibility for aircraft to be idle by accident while no at the base, it should either be travelling towards next mission, returning to base, being busy with current mission, or patrolling given point of the map after being explicitly ordered to do so by the player (there is no reason to do this right now but it might change if\when they add enemy aircraft).
Haha you are one of those whiners I talked about previously. YOu don't need to scrap clips, they stack up in inventory and become full eventually. Just press that ammo++ button twice before new missions. And if you are too low on resources for that you got bigger problems. Ammo for grenade launcher is only costly ammo.

But I do agree with you about having multiple aircraft, they need to fix that one.
EDIT: Although idle aircraft is not my main problem, it is that game unpauses immediately when you give order to any aircraft. So you need to pause it manually each time to go give orders to next aircraft..

Last edited:

Thal

Prophet
I also wish to add that simulation of bullet trajectory coupled with free aiming is a real game changer that solves the problem with probabilistic combat resolution described by Sid Meier. I'm talking about rage inducing miss when you had 90% THC. Since PP lets you aim, you feel more responsible for the shot, especially if you aimed for a specific body part. So if your Sniper misses, you are less likely to curse the RNG gods and more likely to question whether you should have done something differently.

Secondly, free aim solves the problem that plagued Chaos Gate. Since maps were bigger and more detailed than in UFO, it was hard to determine whether you could hit anything over long distances and where you should walk your guy to get line of sight. Free aim tells exactly where the bullet will go, so you can make a reasonable gamble to shoot a body part through a hole in the wall and the visual aid will tell you where to move your guy. Moreover, taking out a body part, such as launcher arm can be a major success. There are still some bugs here, and sometimes the visual aid doesn't work properly, but that doesn't diminish the impact of the idea. This is also an area where multiple design choices compound into great gameplay. Free aim, destructible environment, body part damage, mutating enemies, variety of weapons and soldier builds, all work in sync.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is there an actual economy with ammunition? Is the management true gameplay or just busywork? Are there interesting decisions to be made? If it's just a button I have to push to make sure my guys tie their shoes, and if I forget it just sucks, it doesn't sound like it adds anything.

Alpharius

Scholar

Haha you are one of those whiners I talked about previously. YOu don't need to scrap clips, they stack up in inventory and become full eventually. Just press that ammo++ button twice before new missions. And if you are too low on resources for that you got bigger problems. Ammo for grenade launcher is only costly ammo.
And what if the soldier doesn't have enough strength to carry extra clips? Also i'm not sure the game will pick a full clip instead of half empty one if i reload during the mission.

I also wish to add that simulation of bullet trajectory coupled with free aiming is a real game changer that solves the problem with probabilistic combat resolution described by Sid Meier. I'm talking about rage inducing miss when you had 90% THC. Since PP lets you aim, you feel more responsible for the shot, especially if you aimed for a specific body part. So if your Sniper misses, you are less likely to curse the RNG gods and more likely to question whether you should have done something differently.

Secondly, free aim solves the problem that plagued Chaos Gate. Since maps were bigger and more detailed than in UFO, it was hard to determine whether you could hit anything over long distances and where you should walk your guy to get line of sight. Free aim tells exactly where the bullet will go, so you can make a reasonable gamble to shoot a body part through a hole in the wall and the visual aid will tell you where to move your guy. Moreover, taking out a body part, such as launcher arm can be a major success. There are still some bugs here, and sometimes the visual aid doesn't work properly, but that doesn't diminish the impact of the idea. This is also an area where multiple design choices compound into great gameplay. Free aim, destructible environment, body part damage, mutating enemies, variety of weapons and soldier builds, all work in sync.

The rage inducing 90% misses still happen in this game. I even had misses where the both aiming circles were totally filled with enemy body, not sure if its a bug or just invisible hitboxes. Also the visual aid only tells you that chance to hit is greater than zero from given position, if aiming circle is half-filled with a wall might as well not bother shooting.

If it's just a button I have to push to make sure my guys tie their shoes, and if I forget it just sucks, it doesn't sound like it adds anything.
Pretty much this. The only ammo types with significant cost are missiles and grenades for grenade launchers, and you also cant manufacture ammo for weapons you haven't researched yet. But for 99% of the cases its just "click that button or get fucked".

Last edited:

Puteo

Learned
The range inducing 90% misses still happen in this game. I even had misses where the both aiming circles were totally filled with enemy body, not sure if its a bug or just invisible hitboxes. Also the visual aid only tells you that chance to hit is greater than zero from given position, if aiming circle is half-filled with a wall might as well not bother shooting.

Or your aiming circle was covering a more heavily armored bodypart/bodypart that doesn't cause HP damage and that's what got hit. The damage predictions are only for if every shot hits the body part under the reticule. I've seen a lot of dumb youtubers make that mistake.

Pretty much this. The only ammo types with significant cost are missiles and grenades for grenade launchers, and you also cant manufacture ammo for weapons you haven't researched yet. But for 99% of the cases its just "click that button or get fucked".

It's there because ammo costs resources, which is good. The choice is so you can choose to instead start constructing a new research facility instead of reloading a single bullet if you are low on funds.

Especially important considering trade requires travel.

ArchAngel

Arcane

And what if the soldier doesn't have enough strength to carry extra clips? Also i'm not sure the game will pick a full clip instead of half empty one if i reload during the mission.
So get more strength. Also being encumbered slightly does not seem to give a big penalty, just a bit of speed penalty.

orcinator

Liturgist
And soldiers don't feel as superhuman as in Firaxis's Xcom. Dash is probably the biggest outlier from perks and should probably be limited to once per turn.

Did you not get anyone to max level yet? The Lv 7 perks get pretty ridiculous, like being able to use the killstreak power to kill 10+ pandas a turn or blowing up a queen in a turn with the "empty your magazine" power (the queen is the only enemy you have to kill in the 3rd tier alien base and that mission is a large arena where it charges at you head on) or the psychic scream that hit enemies through walls, or the one that adds 20 armor to everyone, which isn't much but given there's 0 armor progression it pretty much doubles everyone's armor.
You have to rely on these as the game goes on since gear offers only minor improvements,.

Raghar

Arcane
Vatnik
No better weapons and armor? What are we playing? Couldn't they change colors of armor when they din't have time to create new models?

Alpharius

Scholar

So get more strength. Also being encumbered slightly does not seem to give a big penalty, just a bit of speed penalty.
So i should save me one or two clicks in exchange for a debuff to soldiers stats? Yeah right, sounds like a great idea (not).

Last edited:
it is true you can actually miss point blank in this game using free aim, the "rage inducing" 90% chance to hit misses (which should not be that rage inducing, it means 10% chance to miss, not 0%), still happen, but perhaps less often, or perhaps because people don't see the actual chance to hit chance numbers they don't rage like they do in xcom or something. Not sure, but somehow they have created a system that seems to still include misses (even at point blank ranges) that does not enrage the morons. They have pulled a time cain "shapes" trick on them it appears.

Zombra

An iron rock in the river of blood and evil
Patron
Make the Codex Great Again! RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
No better weapons and armor? What are we playing? Couldn't they change colors of armor when they din't have time to create new models?
Personally - and I realize this is an unpopular opinion - I love RPGs where improving character abilities is more important than sweet new gear.

Alpharius

Scholar
Lul, saw a video of a dude killing all enemies on a map in one turn using an assault armed with armor-piercing shotgun. Each kill gives +2 move points (special ability) + regular +2 will points per kill and dash gives free move of up to 2 move points that costs 4 will, that fancy shotgun oneshots enemies with 40 armor at point-blank range for 2 move points (though regular shotgun would do the same against unarmored body-parts).
Also apparently a few high level anu priest-assaults can do the same using their 10 tile radius AoE 100 damage armor piercing attack.

So pretty much like a stronger version of nuxcom 2 lategame superheroes against significantly weaker enemies.

Last edited:

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
My impression after watching some streams is that the game is a slog. The amount of trash encounters which don't require any strategic thinking is overwhelming.

Swigen

Arbiter
I’m gonna wait on this gaem ‘cause I haven’t even played Xenonauts or Silent Storm yet. Thas right, I get the game a year later when it’s ready AND I impress codex vets.

:kfc:

orcinator

Liturgist
I heard something about the game not being able to implement friendly soldiers but one of the late game missions has fsome, not sure why they don't show up in the haven defenses.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom