Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

[Poll] Genesis/ Megadrive

Which are your 10 greatest Genesis games? (choose 10)

• Total voters

Jason Liang

Arcane
It's time...

Everyone knows that the NES library of classic games is legendary but the Genesis library is full of hidden gems.

Which are yours?

If anyone is familiar with the Japanese only and/or Sega CD/ 32X titles, feel free to chime in.

I put ports last but if you are a fan of them feel free to vote them up. Tried to leave room for write-ins, so feel free to. For example if you are a fan of Genesis ports of the KOEI classics, wonderful! Uncharted Waters on any system is definitely in my top 20...

SEGA!

Also found this ~
sega_nerds_retro_review_superman_game_victoria_elise_genesis_controller.jpg

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Poll is missing Sonic & Knuckles, Ecco: The Tides of Time, and Rocket Knight Adventures.

Jason Liang

Arcane
What the fuck is this shit? No Forgotten Worlds? Sunset Riders?! Ghostbusters?!?!
you're gonna have to make a case for Ghostbusters. And I love that movie too.
Forgotten Worlds is... very retro. Never played the Genesis port though. There's some pretty juicy stuff in those first two dozen Genesis carts.
Sunset Riders is another arcade port, sort of pointless to add those unless they really stand out. You are better off with a MAME emulation

Last edited:

Grauken

Gourd vibes only
Patron
Missing Castlevania: Bloodlines

Edit: Okay, I overlooked it, next time sort your entries alphabetically

Last edited:

Kitchen Utensil

Played and liked back then:

Landstalker
Soleil
Cannon Fodder
Mortal Kombat 2
Pitfall
Syndicate
NBA Jam
Sunset Riders
Theme Park
Worms
Virtua Fighter
Virtua Racing

and Skeleton Krew:

Oh, and Doom for the 32x of course. Boy, what a shit port. Thankfully I didn't know back then and still enoyed it. :d
Then there was this dinosaur fighting game I was so hyped for, and after getting it so disappointed by:

:3

It's really been too long (and I was too young) to compose an accurate or honest Top 10 though.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason Liang

Arcane
Street Fighters II The New Challengers is better than Championship Edition.
more people played championship edition though since Genesis was already dying by the time New Challengers came out. Don't disagree with you but just assume it's for both games.

Dramart

Learned
more people played championship edition though since Genesis was already dying by the time New Challengers came out. Don't disagree with you but just assume it's for both games.
Or maybe it's because they had already bought Championship Edition. Whatever nice post.
:shredder:

Kutulu

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex
Rocket Knight Adventures & the Golden Axe Series are by far my most played games, Landstalker is brilliant though.
So is Strider.... damn

Wonderboy in Monsterworld!!!

Kid Chameleon!

THUNDERFORCE.....

Last edited:

Falksi

Arcane
Excellent thread Jason Liang

I'm just playing through my collection of Megadrive games and posting a few thoughts in the "Revisting Old Games (Again)" thread, and I have to agree that it's a belting system which prob doesn't quite get the love it deserves.

What I thrive on about it is that it just NAILS the pick-up & play, in your face, high octane arcade experience. I loved the SNES & PC around that era, but both were built on games which required more time investing in them such as BG, X-Com, Link To The Past, Actraiser, Final Fantasy etc. Whereas the Megadrive's wide catalog of arcade-esq games makes it's the perfect 20-60min time killer.

A few suggestions for the list which are some of my Megadrive faves:

Batman
EA Hockey
Madden 92'
Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday (Yeah, I know it's a wank port of the PC version, but it was the game which forced me & a few mates into checking PC gaming out)
The Flying Magical Turbo Hat Adventure
Br Robotnik's Flick Your Bean Machine
Flicky
Dune 2
Pirates Gold!
Gaiares
Musha

Ports in there of course, but like Buck Rogers they snagged console gamers into PC realms & further incline.

Swigen

Arbiter
A lot of the nostalgia I feel for Genesis comes from playing co-op with my brother. It is for this reason I must insist on adding Battletoads Double Dragon to the list. :cool:

Jinn

Arcane
Wow, surprised there aren't more votes for Beyond Oasis. If you guys haven't, you should try it out sometime. Really cool ARPG with a unique Arabian Nights-esque setting.

BrotherFrank

Nouveau Riche
Patron
Ecco was such an oddball of a series, you'd think it was some cute kids friendly stuff because you played dophins and shit yet it was legit terrifying.

1078116-q99993.jpg

Aw look at all the fishies, you just swim around and do dolphin stuff. Aw you can even chill with turtles and talk to whales ^_^ desu desu...
latest

Aaaargh wtf xenomorphs sucking the life out of the seas with a space vacuum and want to eat everyone. The final bosses of these games are literally just heads with mouths and lots of sharp teeth that you are meant to take on not with guns or back up by some army but just your stubby dolphin nose. Because diving head first into that mouth is of course the obvious way to defeat hungry space horrors. Oh and if you did get nommed, you didn't just die either, you'd get some bonus level of trying to escape being digested in some bio mechanical stomach trying to crush you.

iu

Aargh wtf im time travelling through dystopian hellscapes where the environment is fucked and the planet is one big refinery, also everything living got eaten off ages ago and you can only find biomechanical monsters as the only evidence of life on the planet utterly intent on flaying you alive.
Ecco200876.jpg

FFs even in atlantis there are these scary fluffy white things with googly eyes that bumrush you with this super whiny screech.
latest

Still it wasn't all bad though, time travelling had its perks:
iu

Whee! No turns out it doesn't want to eat you, it's just being a bro and fast travelling you around the level.

And somehow they managed to make things even weirder for the final ecco game on dreamcast but that's besides the point of this thread. Ecco is one of those series that has never been replicated because it's just too fucking weird, for that alone I will always rate these games highly.

Otherwise games missing from the list that should be on it: Spiderman and venom: maximum carnage:

Also regarding disney platformers... Toy Story was the best one imo.

Went for jungle strike out of the strike series, I could never enjoy urban, it felt really off to me and those segments where you got out of the helicopter to do some indoors bs weren't fun.

Last edited:

Reality

Learned
I am glad I didn't have to make a decision between Mega Turrican and Contra Hard Corps as my action game - narrowing things down was hard enough as it was. Just so many rocking games.

Sukhāvatī

a.k.a. Mañjuśṛī
Patron
Ecco was such an oddball of a series, you'd think it was some cute kids friendly stuff because you played dophins and shit yet it was legit terrifying.

And somehow they managed to make things even weirder for the final ecco game on dreamcast but that's besides the point of this thread. Ecco is one of those series that has never been replicated because it's just too fucking weird, for that alone I will always rate these games highly.

oldmanpaco

Master of Siestas
I really only remember playing Madden, NHL, Sonic, and Mortal Combat. I have no idea which versions they were. Spent 90% of my time playing NHL and Madden against friends.

edit: The Genesis is the last console I've ever owned.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom