Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codexian GOTY 2019

Chose the one true ruller of 2019!

• Total voters

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In
Seriously why there are no obscure 2D pixel art RPG gems made by underground scene grognards, which are populating steam in hundreds? Only popularfag/mainstreamfag titles i see.
But on a more serious note, seriously why no one had time/knowledge to check steam for RPG gems? We need to hire full time monkey ASAP on this task!
I don't really care about steam and its endless stream of unity engine rip off garbage that is produced every month. If you actually have a quality recommendation,then just give it and will add it.

I don't, that's why i come to prestigious codex to learn the annals of RPG market.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Seriously why there are no obscure 2D pixel art RPG gems made by underground scene grognards, which are populating steam in hundreds? Only popularfag/mainstreamfag titles i see.
But on a more serious note, seriously why no one had time/knowledge to check steam for RPG gems? We need to hire full time monkey ASAP on this task!
I don't really care about steam and its endless stream of unity engine rip off garbage that is produced every month. If you actually have a quality recommendation,then just give it and will add it.

theseus journey to athens

ss_be85f57cad4a7b50aa65c53181247cab5354de04.1920x1080.jpg

Stavrophore

Most trustworthy slavic man
Patron
Vatnik
Strap Yourselves In

theseus journey to athens

ss_be85f57cad4a7b50aa65c53181247cab5354de04.1920x1080.jpg

Kotaku: This is what a Neo Nazi would say!

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The everything-including-shovelware list is this way https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/upcoming-role-playing-games-2019-and-onward.119870/

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The everything-including-shovelware list is this way https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/upcoming-role-playing-games-2019-and-onward.119870/
It is an autistic list,also a chore to go trough. It lacks order and it is filled with a lot of garbage. The actually upcoming games and the ones that maybe come someday in the future are all mixed. Still kudos for doing the job Abu Antar :salute:

Haplo

Prophet
Patron
Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Competition seems rather weak. I should probably try Disco sometime, but I was never into adventure games.
Planescape Torment had simplistic but flashy combat at least and you could become lovely overpowered there.

TOW failed badly at the itemization. Mechanics/development could be more interesting/less generic also.

So my vote goes to The Surge 2.

Self-Ejected

RNGsus

Self-Ejected
What is it, then? Serious question. If I can't judge a book by its cover, then I know the publisher is hiding a turd. There are exceptions, so I'm a little curious.

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
What is it, then? Serious question. If I can't judge a book by its cover, then I know the publisher is hiding a turd. There are exceptions, so I'm a little curious.

It is narrative-centered RPG without combat where you have funny and creepy voices in your head instead of party companions.

Disco Elysium easily. There are points I'd grumble about it, but that's true of all full storyfag RPGs. PST and Arcanum set my teeth on edge when I play 'em a lot more than Disco for example. Some of the most enjoyable writing I've seen in a game in ages and lots of memorable characters and moments.

Rest of the list that I've played:
Outer Worlds, watered down FNV. It's not bad (Except for the tons of Fedex. So much fucking Fedex) to play but it didn't feel all that fun to explore or fuck around in. Did the first quest hub or two and then beelined the main story to get it over with.
Operencia the Stolen Sun, enjoyable dungeon crawling. Drags on a little longer than it probably should (You reach a definite point in your power where you peak and then you basically tread water for a few hours more) and it isn't as creative later on as it was in the beginning with the underwater castle, but it's nice. Not as intricate as Grimrock, but nice. Probably would be RPGotY for me if not for Disco.
Stygian Reign of the Old Ones, somehow a combination of too great of a scope for the developer to handle and too trimmed down to be manageable. Combat's basically a drag, but the setting and some of the moments are pretty cool. Still not really an ideal Lovecraft RPG, not even pulp "Gunning down shoggoths" Lovecraft.

vazha

Arcane
I am well aware that I will be in minority here, but I liked Greedfall. A lot. Generally have a soft spot for Spiders games, those frogeaters sure know how to create a good atmosphere & story.

Daidre

Arcane
Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture
I am well aware that I will be in minority here, but I liked Greedfall. A lot. Generally have a soft spot for Spiders games, those frogeaters sure know how to create a good atmosphere & story.

I also really liked Greedfall and would have voted it as my #2 RPG of the year, easy, right after DE.

Actually, I played two similarly mediocre if competent games in October, but in case of Greedfall I still want to support the game with nice word and money but TOW... provokes nothing but (probably) unwarranted and illogical hostility that I still could not explain even to myself.

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
Yes, unwarrented and illogical hostility seems like a fair assessment of the emotional response of the Codex towards TOW.

I'm playing the game at the moment. Sure, it's not New Vegas reborn. The game is unoffensively mediocre, quite pleasant most of the times (companions, certain npcs, amount of reactivity one or two quests). Easily forgettable. Shouldn't really provoke such a strong and hostile reaction.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
Shouldn't really provoke such a strong and hostile reaction.
It is a hostility in response to the disappointment that many people felt. It is game made by Cain and Boyarski,some people got hyped and expected a good game from those two. The game is mainly boring and forgettable at best. Also Disco faces a lot more bitchtalking in the codex than TOW. Fucking having anthem having more votes than TOW just shows how forgettable is.

Last edited:

Lord_Potato

Arcane
Glory to Ukraine
I just saw Legends of Amberland, a one man project, is closing in on The Outer Worlds. Wow.

I mean, I understand the dissapointment in Cainarsky. People expexlcted something brilliant but got something okayish. But the intensity... I thought that by this time the Codex should be used to getting only dissapointment from the great ones of old.

Butter

Arcane
Patron
I just saw Legends of Amberland, a one man project, is closing in on The Outer Worlds. Wow.

I mean, I understand the dissapointment in Cainarsky. People expexlcted something brilliant but got something okayish. But the intensity... I thought that by this time the Codex should be used to getting only dissapointment from the great ones of old.
Legends of Amberland is also a rather good game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom