Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Return of the Obra Dinn

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Interesting. On my first playthrough of the game the protagonist was a man. As I recently got my friend playing this game, I re-installed it... and this time the protagonist is a woman.

I think the game randomly determines this each time a new game is started.

Addendum: Apparently there's also a third options for an 'it'.

Last edited:

Tigranes

Arcane
Finally played it. Really atmospheric, simple and sweet, tight design, worth a play for everybody - zero replayability though but that's OK.

Definitely felt like there were logical ways to figure out every single person. I'm usually not a fan of this kind of story but I wasn't even worrying about the 'truth' behind the macguffins, just focusing on the process of how playing detective on the death images tells you so much about the characters and their interactions with each other.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
For me, identifying the individual Chinese & Russians was extremely difficult and I cheated on a couple of them. But on the other hand, I think he was trying to bring back the best of the old adventure game days where if there was a difficult puzzle that you would sleep overnight and dream about it and talk to your whole family and hope to solve it together. He's much closer to achieving the experience that the old Sierra games were supposed to than what Sierra ever did.

bertram_tung

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here
It’s also much better if you go in blind. That moment when you first see what’s going on when the Captain’s wife dies is fucking awesome when you don’t know it’s coming.

that's true, but i think if people knew this was a very
Lovecraft
heavy story they would take a look at it. in fact i would argue it's probably the best
Lovecraft
inspired game in a long time, and people don't even realize it

Tigranes

Arcane
For me, identifying the individual Chinese & Russians was extremely difficult and I cheated on a couple of them. But on the other hand, I think he was trying to bring back the best of the old adventure game days where if there was a difficult puzzle that you would sleep overnight and dream about it and talk to your whole family and hope to solve it together. He's much closer to achieving the experience that the old Sierra games were supposed to than what Sierra ever did.

In my case they were easier than the English because they are such a clearly defined group, identifiable by name, language, accent, visuals - and they often acted together, and sometimes to a very distinct motive in unfolding events. For me it was significant to be able to

see the Russians playing cards and the Chinese gathered around each other in an 'early' (chronological) scene, where you can also use the # IDs on bunks to narrow things down

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
As I mentioned in an earlier post, a friend of mine is currently playing Return of the Obra Dinn. He's had to pause his playthrough because of eye problems, to the point he's due for eye surgery at the end of the month. Yes, it's that bad. :(

But up until that point, I'll say this: His background is ideal for this game. He was at sea for close to 30 years and has been meddling with computers alongside that time. He's also had to suffer personal tragedies that I will not go into, except to say that he's Seen Things and Been There, Done That. I gifted him this game as an early birthday present (his birthday is in late November, and he's in his early 60s) and he loves every minute of this game. I wish I could be there with him, but he's living abroad and somewhat left to his own devices... but as I said, he's loving this. This challenges his noodle, in a good way. I'll post an update once he has the capabilites to finish this game.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
In my case they were easier than the English because they are such a clearly defined group, identifiable by name, language, accent, visuals - and they often acted together

I knew right away what nationality they were, but it was really hard for me to figure out which name matched which guy. I think the fact that they spent so much time together made it hard for me to pick out the differences between them.

I gifted him this game as an early birthday present (his birthday is in late November, and he's in his early 60s) and he loves every minute of this game.

Now that you mention it, I think my dad might get a kick out of this. Maybe I'll finally have an idea for at least one gift this Christmas.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Now that you mention it, I think my dad might get a kick out of this. Maybe I'll finally have an idea for at least one gift this Christmas.

One of the biggest reasons I gave him this game is because there is no need for reflexes, it can be played at one's pace and leisure. My friend is simply too old to play any game that revolves around reflexes.

BTW I forgot to mention one thing he said which made me laugh: "This game is amazing, hasn't anyone taken this formula and remade it into something cool and modern?" I had to ask him how old he thought the game was, and he said it was "about 30-35 years ago, from the Apple Macintosh."

I told him we'd talk more about it after he's finished it...

EDIT: Missing word

Last edited:

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

One of the biggest reasons I gave him this game is because there is no need for reflexes, it can be played at one's pace and leisure. My friend is simply too old to play any game that revolves around reflexes.

BTW I forgot to mention one thing he said which made me laugh: "This game is amazing, hasn't anyone taken this formula and remade it into something cool and modern?" I had to ask him how old he thought the game was, and he said it was "about 30-35 years ago, from the Apple Macintosh."

I told him we'd talk more about it after he's finished it...

EDIT: Missing word
I'm tempted to have the family sit around and play this like we did LA noire. Is there a lot of text in this?

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Is there a lot of text in this?

Actually not. There is a written journal which keeps track of everything, and solving the deaths of the crew involves using text prompts (selected from a menu), but otherwise it's mostly observation of the environment with some (transcribed) audio thrown in.

Nutria

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In
It would be a great game to play as a family. You walk around these 3D snapshots of a moment in time and try to figure out what's going on. Having one person at the controls and a few more calling out suggestions for where to go and what to look at would be great. I was limited to my own imagination and got frustrated at times, but I think having more people participate would have made it an even better experience.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It would be a great game to play as a family. You walk around these 3D snapshots of a moment in time and try to figure out what's going on. Having one person at the controls and a few more calling out suggestions for where to go and what to look at would be great. I was limited to my own imagination and got frustrated at times, but I think having more people participate would have made it an even better experience.
Yeah, my only concern is that my parents might have trouble getting used to the visual style, in terms of being able to distinguish objects and such.
The LA noire was a partial success, I had to shelf the thing in the vice department cases though.

Alphons

Cipher
Both me and my dad loved the Obra Dinn (I still don't know how he got the remaining 3 Chinese).

Anyway, I recently picked up Unheard- pretty cool game slightly inspired by Obra Dinn (but still adds enough on it's own).

https://youtu.be/fsaC6lsVhF8

Did a couple of cases and they don't seem to be connected. Game is also pretty cheap right now. It also appears to be supported with free DLC.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/942970/Unheard/

Hopefully it means more games like Obra Dinn.

Jenkem

その目、だれの目?
Patron
Vatnik
Make the Codex Great Again! Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah I bought Unheard a month or so ago because I had a coupon on Steam... Still haven't played it yet, there's also FREE DLC if you are interested.. (There's 2 iirc, but the 2nd one isnt translated yet and only in Chinese)

Last edited:

Rivmusique

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Doing the thing where we say we really enjoyed the game, but don't want to say much more because it's all mystery and knowing anything fucks it for a potential new player, here I go:

Played and it really liked it. Only tiny issue I had was the cheery music for the "Well done!" bits, real atmosphere killer for some great moments.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom