Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

The Great 'RPG Elements' Poll

What 'RPG elements' make up your favorite CRPGs?

• Total voters

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
The choices are not a comprehensive list. I just wanted to get a feel for what individual parts of CRPGs make a nice whole. Feel free to add descriptions in the comments of why you chose what you did and/or what elements/mechanics you think would make up a nice CRPG.

Giauz Ragnacock

Scholar
There is no such thing as an action RPG.

Or the game is a RPG or is an action-adventure game with RPG elements.

None of the elements that make up RPGs are specific to RPGs. The first RPG, D&D (1974), was an add-on for the war-game Chainmail.

octavius

Arcane
Patron
My favourite games include most of the options mentioned. Anything from single character real time (Ultima Underworld, Diablo 1 and 2), party real time (Chaos Strike Back), turn based blobber (MM2), RTWP (BG1 and 2, IWD), turn based party (Nahlakh, Disciples of Steel, Gold Box).
Just about the only thing common is a general lack of story faggotry and total lack of anime.

Gregz

Arcane
For reference purposes, a possibly exhaustive list of essential cRPG elements, feel free to suggest changes

https://rpgcodex.net/forums/index.p...eneral-codex-theory-of-what-is-an-rpg.106544/

Proposed exhaustive list of RPG elements (subject to change based on suggestions, corrections, or related editions)
  1. Character creation has some form of in-game consequences
  2. Statistics which define character(s) abilities are subject to change throughout the game
  3. Character(s) have skills or abilities which may improve or be altered over the course of gameplay
  4. Character(s) accrue experience which can be spent or result in gaining levels or abilities
  5. Character(s) accumulate items in some form of inventory, which the player can actively use (equip, sell, destroy, trade, etc.), which enhance or otherwise alter gameplay
  6. Character(s) accumulate currency which may be spent to enhance the character(s) in some way (items, guild membership, training, etc.)
  7. Character(s) gain levels throughout the game which result in some form of mechanical change (not just a change in character title, or description)
  8. Character(s) are able to explore over terrain, water, space, etc. ('explore' refers to free movement of main character(s))
  9. The game has some form of puzzle solving, which is resolved through combat, problem resolution, or some choice made by the player
  10. A choice made by the player alters the narrative, or some other significant part of the game (an item is found or lost, stats or skills are gained or lost, different ending, etc.)
  11. Character(s) interact with NPCs in some form of dialogue which have in-game consequences depending on what the character(s) say.
  12. Optional quests (defined here as some kind of task made available after the game has started, and which can be resolved by the player before the game ends, but is not required to complete the game) are available.

Void_Pickle

Educated
Calling these 'RPG elements' suggests (to me at least) that these are the components of what actually makes up an 'RPG'.

Anyway, to the actual question at hand though... it really doesn't matter. I've thoroughly enjoyed games with all of these various aspects.

Gibson

Learned
To lazy to go through the list and check the boxes; but if only Troika had made a good mix of ToEE (combat) and Arcanum (chargen+world) without bugs and they slapped a decent story on it....
3j7eyv.jpg

is that really so much to ask?

Tweed

Professional Kobold
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
As I've said time and again the only true component of RPGs are numbers. Numbers that start small and become bigger over time, how they get bigger will probably determine how much fun you have in the end, but at the end of the day it's all about them numbers.

Also I love the idea of generating my own party, but each character getting their own voice, but the only games I remember off the top of my head that even sort of do that are the Realms of Arkania series.

ManaJunkie

Arbiter
Favourites: blobber - full party creation - turn/phase based combat (while not being a japanese/anime game)

Self-Ejected

Daze

Red Panda Alt
I really don't want to choose between tb rpgs or action rpgs.
Both can be done really good and i don't prefer one of both systems.
Just depends on the game i guess.
Rtwp system is inherently flawed though and should be replaced by a tb system.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom