Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Epic Games Store - the console war comes to PC

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
I'm assuming most people are either waiting for it to go on sale or for a couple patches. If PC people really wanted it right away they probably would have just got it on Rockstar launcher or pirate it.

It's already had several patches that seem to have fixed all the crashing and whatnot. For those who did wait for Steam that's a nice benefit, playing patched from day one.

Also, it's worth noting RDR2 had a 20% off sale on Epic and Humble Bundle before it came out on Steam (probably by design), which likely stole more of Steam's potential sales. I think you guys, because of your feeling on the matter, keep assuming a lot of people will wait or say fuck off, but we don't really have any evidence that's the case yet. It could very well have sold well on Epic and Rockstar's launcher, or maybe the game itself is doing mediocre on PC in general... it's impossible to say which without the company releasing numbers.

Paul_cz

Arcane
STILL zero games i care about to buy on Epic. To make such store you really need talent.
For me it was Control, Outer Wilds and Outer Worlds. Played the latter on gamepass.
But yeah, of so many exclusives that they moneyhatted, to only hit three on my "want to play" list is pretty impressive. Whoever is in charge of selecting these, kudos, keep doing what you are doing :D

Nano

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In
Psst, guys. I might have a solution for you. Are you hyped for an Epic-exclusive game but don't want to use the Epic store? Give this a shot:

piracy.png

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
I do find it very interesting that Ashen, while a mediocre looking game, released on GOG simultaneously with steam. If drm free releases like this were guaranteed after epic's exclusivity period, I would have no problem waiting an extra 6 months for every new game to come out. Fuck steam and fuck DRM.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
I do find it very interesting that Ashen, while a mediocre looking game, released on GOG simultaneously with steam. If drm free releases like this were guaranteed after epic's exclusivity period, I would have no problem waiting an extra 6 months for every new game to come out. Fuck steam and fuck DRM.
Ashen has always been DRM-free. You can run it without the shitty Epic client.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
Sony publishes another game on Epic Store. It's a multiplayer Predator game:

One of the best gaming-related pitches I've heard in recent years is Predator+No Man's Sky.

You play No Man's Sky precisely as it is right now... except you have the added requirement that you're a Predator and you're trying to stake (and catch) your claim across as many systems as possible.

The pitch added multiplayer, allowing people to form their own clans, stake their own claims on various systems, and generally have a free-for-all in regards how to deal with opposing players.

Anyone else familiar with this?

Uncreation

Savant
Yeah, i think i remember seeing that before and thinking it was weird. Not sure where though, maybe in the second movie?

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
With Ashen out on Steam and GOG today it will be interesting to see player numbers and if there are any comments about how it's doing. I wonder what message great success would give developers though... either "Steam is still the king, releasing there is important" or "releasing on Steam later won't impact your sales there." I'm really hoping we get a comment one way or the other from someone.

Ashen seems to be struggling. But Hades, the other one from the first wave of Epic exclusives, seems to fare better on Steam. Its current concurrent player number is 3,159 and still going up as of right now, comparable to the developer's previous (successful) games.

Yeah, this is cheaper, gives a better deal ('buy Hades now and get Pyre for free!' vs. 'we also have $10 DLC'), gets better reviews (98% vs. 64%), and the developer has fans. Almost like a game is doing well on its own quality and marketing, regardless of the rage against certain platform and exclusive deals. (It also helps that Supergiant was pretty candid about the deal.)

V_K

Arcane
With Ashen out on Steam and GOG today it will be interesting to see player numbers and if there are any comments about how it's doing. I wonder what message great success would give developers though... either "Steam is still the king, releasing there is important" or "releasing on Steam later won't impact your sales there." I'm really hoping we get a comment one way or the other from someone.

Ashen seems to be struggling. But Hades, the other one from the first wave of Epic exclusives, seems to fare better on Steam. Its current concurrent player number is 3,159 and still going up as of right now, comparable to the developer's previous (successful) games.

Yeah, this is cheaper, gives a better deal ('buy Hades now and get Pyre for free!' vs. 'we also have $10 DLC'), gets better reviews (98% vs. 64%), and the developer has fans. Almost like a game is doing well on its own quality and marketing, regardless of the rage against certain platform and exclusive deals. (Also helps Supergiant was pretty candid about the deal.)
IIRC, Hades was also only Epic exclusive during its "early access" period, which surely helped the matters PR-wise, both in terms of media attention and the player goodwill.

Fishy

Savant
Yeah, Hades is slightly different, it still hasn't properly released anywhere. It's just that some people got the opportunity to pay to beta-test earlier than others.

Pika-Cthulhu

Arcane
Yeah, i think i remember seeing that before and thinking it was weird. Not sure where though, maybe in the second movie?

It was a net that could turn things into salsa, Danny Glover had the disc blade with the alien metal which cut the threads and so managed to not get chunkified by it. Probably doubles as a screen for the camouflage tech.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Sure, it's possible. My whole motivation to get more quotes and numbers is to find out just how many people are willing to wait a year to play a game they're interested in in order to have it on their preferred client. Much to your annoyance I've always expected the number to be small, but I'm willing to be shown it's not. I just want more facts.
It's worse than 'people are willing to wait a year,' it's 'if you go with exclusivity bullshit then people will shun your game completely until it hits a deep discount.' And that's precisely what is happening to Ashen.

v Bitch, I am my own citation. You think sales are poor on Steam because everyone rushed to buy it on Epic? Get real.

Last edited:

Venser

Erudite
So 2GD's upcoming arena FPS Diabotical will be Epic exclusive

Diabotical will be free-to-play on the Epic Games Store. Kickstarter backers will be able to request refunds by sending a message to the project creator on Kickstarter since the game has not been delivered on time and since the game will now be exclusively on the Epic Games Store. Epic have funded the studio which will allow the game to be released free-to-play, for the team to keep working on the game for at least 2 years after release, to have some funds for the esports scene and some help in promoting the game, things that we think will lead to a better game than it would have been and to a bigger community which will be better for the game's matchmaking, content and longevity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diabotical/comments/ean4yp/december_2019_update/

Last edited:

Lutte

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
So 2GD's upcoming arena FPS Diabotical will be Epic exclusive

Diabotical will be free-to-play on the Epic Games Store. Kickstarter backers will be able to request refunds by sending a message to the project creator on Kickstarter since the game has not been delivered on time and since the game will now be exclusively on the Epic Games Store. Epic have funded the studio which will allow the game to be released free-to-play, for the team to keep working on the game for at least 2 years after release, to have some funds for the esports scene and some help in promoting the game, things that we think will lead to a better game than it would have been and to a bigger community which will be better for the game's matchmaking, content and longevity.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Diabotical/comments/ean4yp/december_2019_update/
s4FMxLE.png

A dead on arrival (like all games in the genre these days) arena fps that will see a 0 player base months in with Fortnite style aesthetics. Epic really likes to throw money away on worthless projects.

Epic is where failed games come to suckle some money before gracefully being forgotten.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Well they sure have truckload of money, giving away $10 coupon to everyone. Applicable to eligible games of $14.99 or more, and expires on May 1st: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/holiday-sale-2019

Also EGS dev update: https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/egs-end-of-year-dev-update

Reviews are coming! Critic reviews of course.
Also wishlist is coming someday.

EGS End of Year Development Update

Hey everyone,

We’re back with another Epic Games Store development update to round out the year. It’s been jam packed with amazing titles and we can’t wait for 2020. Let’s take a look at some of the features we’ve shipped and what’s coming up next!

Missed out on the previous Dev Updates?
Newly Launched Features

Coupons
Coupons are now available from special events in the store. Keep an eye out for ways to get them and earn $10 off your future purchases on titles. You may have seen the first version of this with the Creator Appreciation Event, but more ways to earn are on the horizon - including some exciting holiday plans headed your way, including 12 Days of Free Games, starting December 19.

Library Grid View and Polish
The library’s grid view was revised to provide a more dense grid, so you can see more of your games at once. List view now more prominently displays playtime and size on disk, and we’ve optimized how we load game tiles and images to render libraries faster.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Fegs-end-of-year-dev-update%2FLibrary-1600x870-d3f285d94dba5f25023b259c3eadab48e77b4544.png

Storefront Optimization
We’ve released a new storefront with performance optimizations - basically this means the store loads faster and you can more quickly purchase, claim and enjoy your games. The graph below shows the specific areas of improvement where the performance times across the board have dropped following the update.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Fegs-end-of-year-dev-update%2FGraph-1600x989-183637696ecec437d3ba5489992b5f1dd9497c40.png

Development In Progress

Critic Reviews
We’ve completed backend integrations and component development for including critic reviews on product pages--and these are currently in testing - we’ll update you when this feature is live.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Fegs-end-of-year-dev-update%2FOpenCritic-1600x904-ebf39a53de6d7c9703b8c888a33e44068cba7b4a.png

Wishlist
We’re working to bring Wishlist to the store. You’ll be able to wishlist any offer on the store and you’ll be notified of sales or promotions for that offer. This has been previously listed as work-in-progress development, but is requiring more work than originally planned. We’ll keep you up to date as we move the Wishlist feature along.

Diesel%2Fblog%2Foctober-feature-update%2FWSHLIST-1151x729-0ad6432dca7966c8232a57f815c3316f3207e2bc.jpg

Last edited:

Paul_cz

Arcane
Epic sucks, but for the first time I am tempted to pick up some games there due to that 10 usd coupon off. Some games for 5 bucks ain't bad.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom