Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

KickStarter Stygian: Reign of the Old Ones - a Lovecraftian Computer RPG

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
The dead soldier with his rifle and my PC with his pistol worked out well enough.

Tygrende

Arbiter
Question for anyone who has recently played: Are firearms still inferior to melee for combat? I've heard mixed things.
I wouldn't say they are strictly inferior. A good 10 AP rifle build is decent enough, you can score 20+ damage crits and kill far away enemies that a melee build would have to run up to first. I was able to 1 or 2-shot enemies before they ever got their first turn quite often. Explorer starts with a rifle and a bit of .223, the shop has a decent supply of .223 ammo and restocks 5 more from time to time. You will kinda struggle with money at first if you shoot a lot, but you will quickly end up swimming in cigs anyways. You would be best off with a mix of melee and ranged in your party.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Its interesting how game went from mixed reviews to very positive on Steam in a short amount of time, without any patches or improvements xD
To be fair they did release a couple of patches that took care of some of the most obnoxious glitches. If it had shipped with a glitch-free beginning, it would have been far better received (most people don't complete games)

Verylittlefishes

Sacro Bosco
Patron
Its interesting how game went from mixed reviews to very positive on Steam in a short amount of time, without any patches or improvements xD
To be fair they did release a couple of patches that took care of some of the most obnoxious glitches. If it had shipped with a glitch-free beginning, it would have been far better received (most people don't complete games)

Do you know, by chance, where can I contact the developers directly?

Forest Dweller

Smoking Dicks
You might try sending him a private message. Maybe he has email notifications turned on for PMs.
I think a more...personal approach is what's recommended.

20100902090911-132.jpg

Stakhanov

Augur
If anyone is curious about what is going to be changed:

Without further ado, here’s a list of New Features and Major Overhauls that will be present in 1.1:
  • A Tutorial System that explains all the core and subsidiary systems of the game.
  • Considerably increased Combat Speed
  • Character Profiles
  • Manual Saving and Quick Saving
  • Combat Hit Probability Indicator to screen your to hit chance in battle scenarios
Along with hundreds of Bug Fixes and Improvements including issues encountered in problematic areas such as Blasted Street, Ward 10, a variety of crashes, situations carried in between different save files, Panic State malfunctions, Light and Darkness mechanics, Rest and Crafting Mechanics, Perk and Item functionality and much more!

I am currently helping with QA for the upcoming patch, so if anyone has questions about it I am happy to answer. But essentially, the game feels a lot more responsive and smooth, and the frequent freezing and blocker bug issues seem to have all been eradicated. If it had released in this state, it would most likely have had a much more positive reception. I still think that overall it is a pretty good RPG in the Fallout/Arcanum vein and will be worth checking out if you were on the fence because of the reported issues.

Stakhanov

Augur
Light and Darkness mechanics, Rest and Crafting Mechanics, Perk and Item functionality
What do you mean?
There are additional perks and crafting recipes. Unfortunately, spell enhancement got the chop. As for the rest, it might be referring to bug fixes, because I haven't noticed significant mechanical changes, but that might be something only a dev can answer.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
spell enhancement got the chop.
Wait, does that mean they cut a feature that was already in? I recall being able to enhance spells with items.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom