Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Games That Cheat To Allow Retadred Players To Succeed/Proceed To The Next Level?

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
I remember playing that Mad Max game by the Just Cause developers, and during a crucial main quest event, I kept failing again and again and unable to proceed. Then, much to my shock, the game sensed my severe mental retadration and automatically sent me to the next cut-scene, as if I had succeeded. I felt a strange outrage over this. Is this a new thing of the last generation of gamers or did previous games do this too? What are some other examples of games, old or recent, that cheated to allow you to get to the next level?

Unwanted

Kalin

Unwanted
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Used to be games would cheat to help the retarded A.I. pose some kind of challenge.

The reverse sounds hilarious, truly testament to our age.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
dunno but plenty of codexers are known retards who need to use cheat engine etc. to get through various games, so they should appreciate the cheating being built right in

I use CE for one thing and one thing only -- its speed hack. It's an absolute QoL requirement for some of these games that force your legs to be hobbled so you can limp, lurch and stagger to the finish line when you know you're a track & field star athlete, a Jessie Owens trying to twirl his BBC in a whirly bird rotor motion up at Hitler in the stands with the guns against you.

Lemming42

Arcane
David Cage games have to be the ultimate, surely. You can literally sit and do nothing in a lot of action sequences in Heavy Rain, failing every QTE, and the game still continues to the next retarded plot point undeterred.

Nintendo started doing this in the late-00s to some games. The "New Super Mario Bros." games offer you an item that's essentially God Mode if you die on the same level several times.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Serious Sam: The Second Encounter opens up a teleport into the next area if you spend too much time trying to solve a puzzle.

I guess the infamous rubber band AI in many racing and sports games counts as well, although that sort of cheating works two ways. It's also not uncommon for games to have an RNG that's biased towards the player, giving you better odds of success than what it says on the screen. I guess the reason is because people suck at estimating probabilities and would get mad at the game otherwise.

Jack Of Owls

Arcane
Nintendo started doing this in the late-00s to some games. The "New Super Mario Bros." games offer you an item that's essentially God Mode if you die on the same level several times.

I do like how Metal Gear Solid: The Phantom Pain basically does the same thing but with fun, quirky Jap humor. You're allowed a "walk of shame" orange-florescent glow-in-the-dark crested "Chicken Hat" that makes you practically invisible to enemies so you can pass the mission. At least it takes pains to humiliate the player if you're retadred enough. Gotta love the nipponese game developers and their innovations.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Why even play the game in the first place if your goal is to avoid playing it?
Uninstall.exe if you're a candy-ass who doesn't want to put forth the effort to play a video game you claim to be playing.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
I've been annoyed a few times by games offering me the opportunity to scale down the challenge (I think this happened to me in a DMC game). I've also heard of certain games doing it automatically, although I've never noticed it. That would bother me

J1M

Arcane
Today's designers consider dynamic difficulty to be good design. They are proud of it and put extensive effort into creating the illusion of the player getting better. Yet very little effort into creating fun challenges.

It is a crime. They are robbing a generation of players of the chance to experience the thrill of overcoming a tough challenge.

They don't see it that way. They see themselves as tour guides, whose primary responsibility is to ensure everyone sees every single art asset their coworkers (and chinese contractors) produce. They don't see any value in gameplay itself.

Valky

Arcane
Manlet
Today's designers consider dynamic difficulty to be good design. They are proud of it and put extensive effort into creating the illusion of the player getting better. Yet very little effort into creating fun challenges.

It is a crime. They are robbing a generation of players of the chance to experience the thrill of overcoming a tough challenge.

They don't see it that way. They see themselves as tour guides, whose primary responsibility is to ensure everyone sees every single art asset their coworkers (and chinese contractors) produce. They don't see any value in gameplay itself.

The end goal of the casual disease has always been the absolute dissolution of gameplay from video games.

DalekFlay

Arcane
Patron
The end goal of the casual disease has always been the absolute dissolution of gameplay from video games.

Developers and journalists openly say now that "all games should be for everyone." It's like Disney's tactic for movies, only it's being applied to every AAA game.

Reality

Learned
I remember that some Coin-op arcade games have a "boss timeout" mechanic - timing out during a stage itself will (rightfully) kill the player in many arcade games, but some of them will kill the boss for you if a timer last too long …. Granted this is usually harder than actually beating the boss in things like Shumps, but doing it in a beat'em'up is almost always a disquised "you suck!" screen to the player.

lefthandblack

Arcane
The Legend of Heroes series has a mechanic on boss fights that give you the option to replay a boss fight on a lower difficulty if you die. I never used it in the sky games, but the giant robot sytem in the steel games is something that pissed me off from the get-go as it came out of nowhere and completely changed the mechanics of the game at the point where I just wanted the game to be over, so I took advantage of it there.

i think it was van helsing where if you die you could choose to go back to the last town for free rebirth, pay a nominal sum to be rebirthed at the last checkpoint or a exhorbitant sum to be rebirthed where you fell

not sure if it fits your criteria and if its unique but whatever

Gerrard

Arcane

If they made a game where enemies adapt to player's methods of cheesing it that would be pretty impressive.

If they made a game where enemies adapt to player's methods of cheesing it that would be pretty impressive.

often thought about this

is there a game where enemies can destruct the environment around the player; ie removing choke points?

that'd be cool

Morkar Left

I want to decide for myself if and when to cheat. Period.

I remember playing that Mad Max game by the Just Cause developers, and during a crucial main quest event, I kept failing again and again and unable to proceed. Then, much to my shock, the game sensed my severe mental retadration and automatically sent me to the next cut-scene, as if I had succeeded. I felt a strange outrage over this. Is this a new thing of the last generation of gamers or did previous games do this too? What are some other examples of games, old or recent, that cheated to allow you to get to the next level?

Interesting. Didn't know this about Mad Max. Are you sure? I remember losing a couple of times in the first boss battle but it never skipped the fight.

zwanzig_zwoelf

Graverobber Foundation
Developer

B-but m-muh narrative and m-muh pixel art and m-muh refunds and m-muh sales figures!

Wunderbar

Arcane

Alien Isolation supposedly uses such system. As the game goes on, Alien learns how to catch player more efficiently - if the player hides in lockers often, then alien will check lockers, if the player frequently uses noisemakers, then alien will start ignoring them. Though i've never noticed any of this on my playthrough.
often thought about this

is there a game where enemies can destruct the environment around the player; ie removing choke points?

that'd be cool
it's a relatively popular feature in popamole games, i.e. enemies destroying your cover and forcing you out.

Wunderbar

Arcane
not quite the same, but a lot of modern games (like nutomb raider, or jedi fallen order) have a feature where main character loudly says "i need to do that and do this and then climb up here" if you've spent too much time on some climbing puzzle.

PulsatingBrain

Huge and Ever-Growing
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
a lot of modern games (like nutomb raider, or jedi fallen order) have a feature where main character loudly says "i need to do that and do this and then climb up here"

I can't speak for Jedi, but in Tomb Raider on the hard difficulty, she'll just mention the current main objective. Basically just that the objective exists, without direction. So at least they actually put time into making the difficulty modes differ other than just enemy HP

Mexi

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
Not cheating, but has anyone played Fight Night Champion with the hardest settings? There is a tutorial to let you put the AI to be the most difficult. It only works with a few select fighters like Manny Pacquiao, Thomas Hearns, and Sugar Ray Robinson, IIRC. They were the toughest to beat depending on how you matchup with them.

Anyways, I loved fighting Thomas Hearns because the AI was fucking brutal when you play a short boxer against him. He'd UD the fuck out of me. Anyways, I'd get mad if I get a lucky knockout. I wanted to UD him only.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom