Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Gothic Gothic remake from THQ Nordic

Dodo1610

Arcane
If you guys believe Velaya will actually be in this remake then you should look at the year on your calendar

NSFW
babe.jpg

Last edited:

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Testing the water: https://www.thqnordic.com/article/thq-nordic-releases-playable-prototype-steam-asks-players-opinion

THQ Nordic releases playable prototype on Steam, asks for the player's opinion
December 13, 2019

Is it a Gothic Remake? Not yet, but it can become one!

Barcelona, Spain / Vienna, Austria, December 13th, 2019 - „Welcome to the colony!“ – how is it possible that 18 years have passed since we first heard that phrase at the beginning of Gothic, the game that set a milestone in the history of German fantasy RPGs, such as Risen and Elex? Since then, we all have grown older, acquired some wrinkles, and are laughing at how we look in pictures from the early 2000s – or how games looked back then.

But, what if we could turn back time, take everything that was great almost 20 years ago, and put it in a beautiful modern look (let’s say powered by Unreal Engine 4) along with improving some things that were not that great, like the combat system, for example?

Here’s the Trailer for the Gothic Playable Teaser: https://youtu.be/HuuUaHa3_sg
Check out the comparison video: https://youtu.be/Crc2iO_-LR8
Steam store link: http://n.thq.com/cLPi30q1AWK

To find out what the true Gothic fanbase thinks of a modern remake of the cult classic RPG, THQ Nordic and it's new Spanish development team, THQ Nordic Barcelona, will start an experiment. Today, a free playable prototype (Gothic Playable Teaser) of what a new Gothic could look and feel like will appear in the Steam Library of everyone who owns a game from Piranha Bytes, be it Gothic 1-3, Risen 1-3, or ELEX. They can play the yet-untitled Gothic Remake project and roam around the Mining Colony of Khorinis. After that, THQ Nordic is eager to learn from the players through a survey following the completion of the prototype, whether and how it should proceed with the production of a full Gothic Remake, or leave the heritage and the great memories associated with it untouched.

You want to learn more about the Gothic Playable Teaser? Check the official website: www.gothic-game.com

FAQ

We know you must have a thousand questions– we’ll try to cover a few in this FAQ:

Q: Who is developing this project?
A: THQ Nordic Barcelona. You can find out more about the studio at www.thqnordicbarcelona.com (Hint: We are looking to grow our team)

Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?
A: No! Piranha Bytes is working hard on a different project, which will be announced in 2020.

Q: Wait, why can we only play two hours?
A: Because it’s just a prototype, done by a new small team in Barcelona and we wanted to do an unusual approach and give this into the hands of players early. What you are going to play is all we have to show you at the moment.

Q: Ok, got it. But if we want the full game, how long do we have to wait?
A: Quite some time. We will only start full production if the community demands a Gothic Remake. In order to do so, we will need to grow the development team and rebuild Gothic from scratch.

Q: This can become a remastered HD version of Gothic?
A: We’d like to call it a remake. We are using a completely new tech (Unreal Engine 4) and so basically nothing but the story, the setting, the atmosphere, the music and the world of Gothic will remain. The whole tech, all graphics, the sound, different systems will be recreated according to modern high quality standards.

Q: Can I buy the prototype?
A: Yes and no. Everyone who owns ANY game from Piranha Bytes will get it for free - so if you don't have either Gothic, Gothic 2, Gothic 3, Risen, Risen 2, Risen 3 or ELEX you can buy one of them now and the prototype is also yours.

Falksi

Arcane
As a fan of Gothic 2 & a few other PB games too, I've never got more than around 1/3rd of the way into the first Gothic due to bugs & crashes. Regardless of how I tried to patch or sort it, it'd always fuck up sooner or later.

So I'm actually looking forward to trying this.

barghwata

Savant
How the hell did they manage to make combat seem even more clunky then that of Gothic 1? that alone is an achievement.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
I have the teaser in library now. You will too.

Store page just went live: https://store.steampowered.com/app/950670/Gothic_Playable_Teaser/

This is not a full game. Its a playable teaser version to a potential approach for a new Gothic game. Nothing is set in stone.

So your feedback is essential to turn Gothic into a modern game. Therefore, and to reward your loyalty, Gothic - Playable Teaser is totally free for all fans who already have any of the titles in the Gothic saga or developed by Piranha Bytes!

Walking.gif

The Kingdom of Myrtana has been invaded by an implacable horde of orcs.
King Rhobar II, in need of a large quantity of magical ore in order to forge powerful weapons, operates the Khorinis mines with all available prisoners. To prevent them from escaping, the monarch asks his best magicians to create a magical barrier. But something goes wrong. The magic gets out of control and a mutiny turns the mines into a wild territory now controlled by the most violent prisoners.
The King is forced to negotiate with the new owners, while the tension between the different factions of the mines increases. What no one expects is that the arrival of an unknown prisoner will change absolutely everything.

Scavenger.gif

Features:
  • Return to The Colony, a reimagination of the popular and revolutionary game Gothic from 2001. Rediscover the world of the mining colony, its secrets and challenges in this playable version of 2 hours.
  • Play as the Nameless Hero – Manage the fate of a lifetime convicted prisoner who must survive in a world of wild animals, creatures and convicts of dangerous reputation.
  • Experience a 2 hour long introduction to The Colony – A mysterious red scroll and a set of strange characters will immerse you in a complex story of loyalties and betrayals.
  • Fight humans and others creatures like Scavengers and Wolfs – Learn the combat arts through a tactical and demanding combat system
  • Discover the possibilities of crafting – Experiment with ingredients and recipes to discover powerful soothing and healing foods

Diego_1.gif

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
I'll try it when I'm home in a few hours.
I'd trust PB more though. They're clunky, but not in a way I mind.

Martyr

Arcane
can this only be played for a limited time?
I don't have the patience to download 5 GB right now with my shitty small town internet.

Nines_Anarch

Learned
Q: Is Piranha Bytes involved in the project?

A: No! Piranha Bytes is working hard on a different project, which will be announced in 2020.

Piranha Bytes is working on ELEX 2.

The Gothic 1 Remake is a bad joke. Looks awful. Original still is the better option.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom