Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Weird West: Definitive Edition - top-down immersive sim action-RPG from Arkane founder Raf Colantonio

vortex

Fabulous Optimist
I only want you could build an arcane gunslinger class if you care for that stuff.

Duskslinger.jpg

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
Looks like that cancelled beamdog game.
ShootOut-Colors_Hq0RJsO.width-1920.jpg

That's funny. Raf started work on this game around October 2017, Beamdog supposedly canceled their weird west RPG around that time!

Funny coincidence... or not
aliens.png

Beamdog's game was going to be a turn-based RPG though.

Latelistener

Arcane
I only want you could build an arcane gunslinger class if you care for that stuff.

Duskslinger.jpg
This looks like it is straight out of Grim Dawn (there are guns and magic and you can make that kind of class there). At first I even thought that the art was made for the game (it loves that kind of greenish palette)

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
I'm pretty sure thinking this is going to be a Diablo clone is being optimistic lmao.
And don't see how this is optimistic to be honest. It's more like the worst case scenario.

I think it will be a top down shooter with RPG elements, like the usual immersive sims are first person shooters with RPG elements.

Saduj

Arcane
Some of the screens on the Steam page look like they were pulled straight out of Hard West. From reading the description, they are also going the Hard West route of multiple fixed protagonists with related stories. I'm interested in this but I'm still waiting for a proper wild west RPG.

CyberModuled

Arbiter
People probably already saw it in the Steam screenshots but I hope I'm certainly not the only one getting Fallout 1/2 vibes from the map.

joZ6K6h.jpg

Hopefully it's a handcrafted map with minimal random generation (also wonder if the number of days on the top left will have any meaning).

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
To be honest, I think Gothic is as immersive as a game can be. Same can be said about Underrail for example. Having interconnected emergent systems is much more important than having a first person camera view.

RPGs with sim elements. Immersive sims have a specific set of features.

LESS T_T

Arcane
Codex 2014
About "random" generation, since the departure Raf often talked about his interest in "well-done" procedural generation system, citing Shadow of Mordor's Nemesis system.

Even in a recent interview about WolfEye studio: https://www.vg247.com/2019/11/20/wolfeye-raphael-colantonio-interview/

Do you still prefer more tailored experiences, or do you think you’ll touch on procedural generation which a lot of indie, immersive sims have done?

RC: Yeah, I think it’s part of the evolution of the practices in development in game design in general. It’s fascinating, some sort of AI, in fact, to the creation of your content, and lead to something that is more per player, per experience, rather than something that has been pre-authored. Yeah, it’s super fascinating. I’ve seen examples of that that was actually really encouraging, because you see on the one hand, often procedural means just random and out of context, which after a while is not very fun. But there are things that actually show really, really big promises, like the first time with some nemesis system in Shadow of Mordor. That was super, super satisfying, right? It’s a credit for procedural generation done well.

When I think of procedural content, I’m thinking of procedurally generated maps, and that doesn’t seem to gel well with your ethos of environmental storytelling.

RC: Yeah, it’s definitely a challenge. Doesn’t mean it can’t be tackled, doesn’t mean that we should not try. I think you have a team who tried to make those generated maps, and they addressed something that actually has meaning from the paintings or in the corridors. And it’s going to happen. I think the designers and developers out there are interested in this. It seems like a really natural condition of where we are right now, because it just costs too much to do, to handcraft everything. And also, we lose opportunity by handcrafting everything.

Also last year: https://www.gameology.ir/en/index.php?pid=read&id=14

Raphael Colantonio: I love it for its nemesis system. it's a little more of same, I loved the first one and I think the nemesis system and overall the feeling of the game is so great that it keeps me interested but there are moments that it feels a little bit like a grind, I wish there were more than the nemesis system, I think they showed that playing a story is actually a little more interesting than writing a story. I wish all games go to this playing story. by the way that's why a lot of indie games go there because I think it’s cheaper and also more powerful for the players which pretty much offer story like a movie ... and there's nothing wrong with that but, games have this thing that is called interactivity activity that allows us to take games somewhere else than trying to mimic movies. So that's why I really appreciate play story games.

Latelistener

Arcane
To be honest, I think Gothic is as immersive as a game can be. Same can be said about Underrail for example. Having interconnected emergent systems is much more important than having a first person camera view.

RPGs with sim elements. Immersive sims have a specific set of features.
I don't think of it as a genre, since technically Deus Ex is a shooter with RPG and "sim" elements, same as System Shock. It's exactly what it is: "sim elements" and any game can inherit it.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I don't think of it as a genre, since technically Deus Ex is a shooter with RPG and "sim" elements, same as System Shock. It's exactly what it is: "sim elements" and any game can inherit it.
It's a subgenre.

What I find important is that no immersive sim developer ever called Ultima 6/7 that because it lacked the first person view.

Last edited:

Momock

Augur
In my opinion "immersive sim" elements are just RPG elements of gameplay that -while still depending on your character stats- aren't abstractions, as you execute them directly on the gameworld by acting with your character rather than throwing dice and having a text box telling you what happened. That's why it's immersive, it has nothing to do with FP.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom